AM34 Contract

What will make him worth it?

• Total voters

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Not in total money or caphit..... so?

Ummmm McDavid's contract is 50% RFA years, Matthews is 80% RFA years. I posted this on the first page, should help you understand a bit more:

If you assume his [Matthews] UFA year is worth $17M (meaning that if he were to become a UFA in 4 years he could ask and receive a contract for $17M AAV, which seems about right given inflation), Matthews is getting paid $10.4M per year for his RFA years. If you generously assume McDavid's UFA years are worth the same as Matthews ($17M) , that would imply McDavid's RFA years are worth only $8M.

Under that assumption, Matthews' RFA years are being paid at a 30% premium over Connor ****ing McDavid

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Ummmm McDavid's contract is 50% RFA years, Matthews is 80% RFA years. I posted this on the first page, should help you understand a bit more:

If you assume his [Matthews] UFA year is worth $17M (meaning that if he were to become a UFA in 4 years he could ask and receive a contract for $17M AAV, which seems about right given inflation), Matthews is getting paid $10.4M per year for his RFA years. If you generously assume McDavid's UFA years are worth the same as Matthews ($17M) , that would imply McDavid's RFA years are worth only $8M.

Under that assumption, Matthews' RFA years are being paid at a 30% premium over Connor ****ing McDavid

:laugh:

Reactions: Kelly

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

We have zero idea what Matthews next contract will be, so this becomes nothing more than a guess on your part.

The fact remains that the caphit of McDavids remaining rfa years is 12+ million, and he will receive more total money over that period too.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
We have zero idea what Matthews next contract will be, so this becomes nothing more than a guess on your part.

The fact remains that the caphit of McDavids remaining rfa years is 12+ million,

So you don't think Matthews would get paid more as a UFA vs a RFA?

and he will receive more total money over that period too.

I wouldn't bet on that. I think its more likely Matthews takes home more in terms of gross pay in years 4-11 of his career than McDavid will. 5 years from now, Matthews probably comes out of his contract and signs a long term deal for 16M AAV as a UFA (likely the equivalent of a ~12M deal today)

That means he would earn 106.15M over the first 8 years after his ELC. McDavid is only going to earn 100M over the first 8 years after his ELC

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
So you don't think Matthews would get paid more as a UFA vs a RFA?

I wouldn't bet on that. I think its more likely Matthews takes home more in terms of gross pay in years 4-11 of his career than McDavid will. 5 years from now, Matthews probably comes out of his contract and signs a long term deal for 16M AAV as a UFA (likely the equivalent of a ~12M deal today)

That means he would earn 106.15M over the first 8 years after his ELC. McDavid is only going to earn 100M over the first 8 years after his ELC

I’m suggesting nobody on these forums is capable of predicting the future. Malkin for example made less than a million (800k to be precise) more on his first full UFA deal compared to his first post ELC contract. Crosby made the exact same amount in the same situation. Every player goes through a different process.

So all we have to go on at the moment is the actual contracts each player has signed, where again, McDavid earns more real money and has a higher aav over his remaining RFA years than Matthews

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I’m suggesting nobody on these forums is capable of predicting the future. Malkin for example made less than a million (800k to be precise) more on his first full UFA deal compared to his first post ELC contract. Crosby made the exact same amount in the same situation. Every player goes through a different process.

So all we have to go on at the moment is the actual contracts each player has signed, where again, McDavid earns more real money and has a higher aav over his remaining RFA years than Matthews

Its almost like Crosby and Malkin took team friendly discounts to remain competitive, something Matthews is obviously not interested in doing.

Seems like you don't fully grasp that it costs more money to lock up young players for longer. There's a reason Matthews' term was limited to 5 years, because for 8 years he was asking 13.5-14 (per McKenzie, I believe).

So yes, Matthews 5 years deal is a better deal for the player (and worse for the team) than McDavid's 8 year deal. 31 out of 31 NHL GM's would gladly pay only a $1M AAV premium to get their franchise center to sign for 8 years vs 5. Most would pay much much more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad