AM34 Contract

What will make him worth it?

• Total voters

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
How does an invisible player lead the playoffs in shots in goal in the first round? He had bad luck over a 7 game stretch happens to every player. His PDO was 0.925. If his PDO is high over a stretch then that is the only thing that matters to people like you. If you PDO is low it is because he sucks.
Lol shots on goal? GTFO.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Got it. A player can be invisible and lead the league in shots on goal. It must be amazing living in a world so purely biased as your own.
You're not paid for shots. You don't win games with shots. You win games with goals.

He had 2 points in a 7 game series. I wouldn't say he was invisible. I would say he was straight garbage though.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
You're not paid for shots. You don't win games with shots. You win games with goals.

He had 2 points in a 7 game series. I wouldn't say he was invisible. I would say he was straight garbage though.
there's clearly a gap between thinking Matthews was invisible, and thinking shots on goal are everything. I think a fair characterization is Matthews got his chances against Boston and played fine, but you'd hope for a star player to actually contribute on the scoresheet and he has to do that

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
be a 100 point guy more years than he isn't one for the life of the contract

and by 100 point guy I mean actual points not pace

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
Honestly, a ppg pace would be disappointing. He needs to be a 100 point, 40 goal player for that contract to be worth it.

I'd also say he also needs to stay healthy, actually play a few full seasons. If he keeps getting hurt and playing 60ish games that would hurt his value also.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I went Option 5/E. I get Matthews has talent but that contract is going to come back to haunt the Leafs.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Hit 70 points for a start, then show up in the playoffs, then hit 100 points as he is paid like a 100+ point producer year in and out.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Not really a fan of these options, probably all of them honestly. The salary would be ok if they got 8 years (still probably too much), honestly can’t believe that salary only buys one ufa year no matter the player.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
He's worth it.

There are far more horrifying ways of spending your money (i.e. Clarkson, Finger, Lucic). Too many people assume the alternative would be 2-3 great pieces but in reality, GMs mess things up and sign a bunch of rubbish as soon as cap space opens up.

A young franchise C with proven goal scoring ability is always a good bet.

Reactions: Ryan Michaels

pown

We are team
Oct 12, 2013
Ottawa
Hes not even a top 5 center in his own division yet and makes the 2nd most money in the league. Yikes

L m a o
m
A
o

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
To me Mathews needs to play an all around type game where defense is important. Maybe play with more physicality. In addition I like to see Mathews become more of a leader.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Produce in the playoffs and for regular season 40+ goals and over ppg over 82 game span.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014

He had 4 goals in 6 games against Washington, does that playoff series not count since he scored a lot?

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
How does an invisible player lead the playoffs in shots in goal in the first round? He had bad luck over a 7 game stretch happens to every player. His PDO was 0.925. If his PDO is high over a stretch then that is the only thing that matters to people like you. If you PDO is low it is because he sucks.
Youre point is valid. He wasnt invisible. He played well, but was snake bitten. He was actually pretty dominant.

But he was second in shots not first. Pastrnak had one more shot.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
Stay healthy and put up at least 40g 40a from here on out. Expectations of 100 points are unreasonable. He has the skill to hit the 100 mark at some point in his career but it's not realistic to expect anyone to do it year in and year out.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
1081EF50-11C1-4597-B7F5-85EF87836D29.jpeg

member 147413

Matthews is a top-5 C in the NHL. It is evident if you watch him play. He's already earned that contract. Success will determine whether Leafs fans are happy or not and that doesn't hinge on one player.

If Matthews has a great Playoffs but the Leafs get ousted in the first couple rounds, Leafs fans will be mad. If Matthews has a bad Playoffs and the Leafs get ousted in the first couple rounds, Leafs fans will be madder.
If Matthews has a great Playoffs and the Leafs go to the ECF/SCF, Leafs fans will be very happy. If Matthews has a bad Playoffs and the Leafs go to the ECF/SCF, Leafs fans will still be happy.
Matthews is not a Top 5 C. Lazy defensively and no shows in big games.

Reactions: Snowman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad