AM34 Contract

What will make him worth it?

• Total voters

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
In 2004...I'm sure you know how much harder it was to score then. Matthews wouldn't even hit his usual 60 points a season playing back then.
interesting thought.

Have you given any thought to what kind of contract Sergachev might get next year if he continues to regress from his career high of 40 points?

Reactions: Finn16

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
playing a full season would be a good start...

honestly though, with that AAV you better hit 100 points, and be a threat to do so consistently to be worth it

Reactions: Sky04

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
interesting thought.

Have you given any thought to what kind of contract Sergachev might get next year if he continues to regress from his career high of 40 points?

A cheap and affordable one because Tampa pays based on actual results not what ifs like Toronto does, hence their 11m for a 60pt player?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
playing a full season would be a good start...

honestly though, with that AAV you better hit 100 points, and be a threat to do so consistently to be worth it

With the 2nd highest caphit in the league you should be a threat to the guy with the highest... Matthews scores like half of what McDavid does annually.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
A cheap and affordable one because Tampa pays based on actual results not what ifs like Toronto does, hence their 11m for a 60pt player?
Oh, you're a quick one.

do you think Matthews will surpass his usual 60 points this year? Only 10 games to go.

Finn16

Feb 15, 2018

108 goals in 202 games isn't a what if though. Young superstars are getting paid on their potential not just what they currently have done. Why do you think Eichel got his contract when his career high was 57 points and 24 goals..

Hell even if Matthews was actually a 60 point player he still would have got a huge deal based on the fact that he can score 40 goals with his eyes closed.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
108 goals in 202 games isn't a what if though. Young superstars are getting paid on their potential not just what they currently have done. Why do you think Eichel got his contract when his career high was 57 points and 24 goals..

Hell even if Matthews was actually a 60 point player he still would have got a huge deal based on the fact that he can score 40 goals with his eyes closed.

And Eichel is overpaid as well, how does that make it better? They'll both have top-5 caphits in the league next season and are regularly outscored by 20+ guys. At least McDavid earned his contract.

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
A good goal scorer?? You might want to check those numbers again 108 goals in 202 games played and hes only 21 and has some some injury issues, at the moment he seems to be one of the best goal scorers in the game going off those numbers does he not?
Okay. Thanks for splitting hairs.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
That's a very good point.

He did not take the typical, born in California, raised in Arizona, pretend to be Ukrainian and eventually play in Europe (instead NCAA/CHL) that is the norm for most NHL'ers.

You know that where he was born and the nationality that he pretended to be isn’t a “career” right? You know exactly what the other poster was talking about but decided to turn it into a slight to your player for no reason whatsoever

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Can't wait to watch Boston - Toronto. It's put up or shut up for Matthews...getting paid to be a superstar.

Reactions: Snowman

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Can't wait to watch Boston - Toronto. It's put up or shut up for Matthews...getting paid to be a superstar.

No matter what he is paid, he really needs to bring it this year. If they end up losing to the Bruins, make sure you did everything you could to give your team the best chances to win.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
You know that where he was born and the nationality that he pretended to be isn’t a “career” right? You know exactly what the other poster was talking about but decided to turn it into a slight to your player for no reason whatsoever
LOL.

Okay. Thanks.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It also took Kucherov playing at an elite level for 3 seasons before the majority of people came around and started giving him the credit it deserved. Matthews has 7 good games and Leafs fans are comparing him to McDavid.

I don't know if Matthews has peaked. I'm just calling him what he is at the moment. He's a good goal scorer who outside of 7 games to start the season has been a point per game player. This season, that makes him about a top 25-35 point producer. He's not the second best player in the world. He's not a top 10 player in the world. If he played anywhere other than Toronto, this wouldn't even be a discussion.

It's so weird when people use the argument Player X was better than Player Y at age Z, and therefore will progress in an exactly parallel way.

If that logic were correct, we could expect something like 60% of players to someday score > 117 points in a season, because they outscored Kucherov at age 20.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
It's so weird when people use the argument Player X was better than Player Y at age Z, and therefore will progress in an exactly parallel way.

If that logic were correct, we could expect something like 60% of players to someday score > 117 points in a season, because they outscored Kucherov at age 20.
:laugh: I see that argument made for Matthews>MacKinnon all the time and it's ****ing hilarious.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
:laugh: I see that argument made for Matthews>MacKinnon all the time and it's ****ing hilarious.

It gets even crazier when you consider a guy like Pavel Datsyuk, who, if I'm not mistaken, turned 24 before the end of his rookie year. So I guess he must have really sucked.

Not all players develop at the same rate, and not all developmental systems are built on the same philosophies. Matthews being very good at 19 doesn't say much about what he'll be at 25.

I think Matthews is going to have a great career. But I think, like Aaron Ekblad, he entered the league much closer to his ceiling than a lot of young players. He was a big, physically mature kid. Gaining 20 lbs is a much bigger deal for someone who weighs 150 than for someone who weighs 200. So I mean, yeah, Matthews had a wonderful headstart to his career, but that doesn't mean we can expect him to someday put up, say, > 2.5x his rookie numbers, the way we can with some players who take longer to develop.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It gets even crazier when you consider a guy like Pavel Datsyuk, who, if I'm not mistaken, turned 24 before the end of his rookie year. So I guess he must have really sucked.

Not all players develop at the same rate, and not all developmental systems are built on the same philosophies. Matthews being very good at 19 doesn't say much about what he'll be at 25.

I think Matthews is going to have a great career. But I think, like Aaron Ekblad, he entered the league much closer to his ceiling than a lot of young players. He was a big, physically mature kid. Gaining 20 lbs is a much bigger deal for someone who weighs 150 than for someone who weighs 200. So I mean, yeah, Matthews had a wonderful headstart to his career, but that doesn't mean we can expect him to someday put up, say, > 2.5x his rookie numbers, the way we can with some players who take longer to develop.

Though what you’re suggesting, isn’t based on anything other than pure guesswork on your part. We know, based on a fair amount of historical data, that players tend to have (particularly with the skill set of a guy like Matthews) a fairly vertical orientated development path, and there’s no reason to just he won’t considerably develop further as he entered his scoring prime in that 23-29 period.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Though what you’re suggesting, isn’t based on anything other than pure guesswork on your part. We know, based on a fair amount of historical data, that players tend to have (particularly with the skill set of a guy like Matthews) a fairly vertical orientated development path, and there’s no reason to just he won’t considerably develop further as he entered his scoring prime in that 23-29 period.

Not when they come into the league already scoring like a machine. If anything, the Rick Nash comparisons are pretty apt.

Matthews has taken baby steps since his rookie year. Even with scoring through the roof this year, he's only slightly better than a ppg.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Not when they come into the league already scoring like a machine. If anything, the Rick Nash comparisons are pretty apt.

Matthews has taken baby steps since his rookie year. Even with scoring through the roof this year, he's only slightly better than a ppg.

Oh come on lol, Nash hit PPG like twice in his entire career.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010

Well, his stats has been improving every year, especially compared to his rookie year. Unlike, say, Ekblad, who's career high in points was also his rookie year.

Matthews stats:
1st year: .84PPG
2nd year: 1.02PPG
3rd year: 1.14PPG (to date)

Ekblad stats:
1st year: .48PPG
2nd year: .46PPG
3rd year: .31PPG
4th year: .46PPG
5th year: .47PPG (to date)

Maybe Ekblad came in the league close to his ceiling, but Matthews is already pacing at around .3PPG more than his rookie season. That's a 25 point improvement over 82 games.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Oh come on lol, Nash hit PPG like twice in his entire career.

And Matthews is about to do it over a reasonable amount of games for the first time. And still not over 80.

Nash looked like a monster when he came into the league and scored 40 at 19, when 40 was a MASSIVE achievement. I think we undervalue that now.

I don't know. If Leaf fans see no reason to pump the brakes on expectations for Matthews, all the power to them, but there's a pretty good chance it's gonna **** your cap up. Because he hasn't proven he's anything close to the second best player in the world. I'm not even sure he's the 2nd best player on the Leafs.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Well, his stats has been improving every year, especially compared to his rookie year. Unlike, say, Ekblad, who's career high in points was also his rookie year.

Matthews stats:
1st year: .84PPG
2nd year: 1.02PPG
3rd year: 1.14PPG (to date)

Ekblad stats:
1st year: .48PPG
2nd year: .46PPG
3rd year: .31PPG
4th year: .46PPG
5th year: .47PPG (to date)

Maybe Ekblad came in the league close to his ceiling, but Matthews is already pacing at around .3PPG more than his rookie season. That's a 25 point improvement over 82 games.

In a year where scoring is through the roof. Nobody's saying he won't improve at all, but I think those numbers qualify as baby steps.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
In a year where scoring is through the roof. Nobody's saying he won't improve at all, but I think those numbers qualify as baby steps.

Even with scoring up, Ekblad has still plateaued. It actually hurts your example more about him coming in the league around his ceiling when you compare him to a player like Ekblad.

Another player that was built and ready for the NHL when entering was Nathan MacKinnon, it took him a while to hit the level he is currently at.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Even with scoring up, Ekblad has still plateaued. It actually hurts your example more about him coming in the league around his ceiling when you compare him to a player like Ekblad.

Sure, except we're not talking about Ekblad. Why do people think everything has to be parallel? My point is Matthews's upward trajectory isn't as steep as some other players. He's closer to a finished product. Ekblad was the ultimate finished product. He looked 32 on the draft floor. But the steps Matthews has taken have been pretty tiny.

If your contract is only comparable to McDavid's, you're gonna get compared to McDavid. And the gap between those two is massive, and filled with a lot of players who've proven more than Matthews already. If scoring remains up, he's going to need a big step forward to justify the money, and I'm not so sure he has that big jump forward in him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad