Waived: Alzner, Weise, Peca, Varone & Ouellet - All clear waivers and assigned to Laval

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

For non-French speaking folks: MB said that he doesn't oppose keeping Poehling even if it's for the 4th line and even skip a game here and there.

He also said regarding the kids that if they can help the Habs, they will stay. And if they see after a while that they're having problems keeping up at some point, they can send them back down to Laval.

Ugh no just no send him down if that is the plan for him. Let him get tons of ice in the AHL if all you plan on doing is playing him on the 4th line and even sitting him...

Reactions: habsfan891

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
“Skip a game here and there?”
4th line?

What the hell development is that? Let them play big minutes in Laval if the plan is for 4th line and scratched here and there.

Let's let things playout. If Poehling is floundering as the 4c, we can criticize then.

Remmeber his game he got the hat trick? He was the 4c.

Byron and Danault started on the 4th line when they came here, proved their worth, and in a very short time worked their way up. I could see Poehling doing the same if he's ready, which I suspect he is. If he's not ready then we can call for him to be sent down.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal

For non-French speaking folks: MB said that he doesn't oppose keeping Poehling even if it's for the 4th line and even skip a game here and there.

He also said regarding the kids that if they can help the Habs, they will stay. And if they see after a while that they're having problems keeping up at some point, they can send them back down to Laval.

The signs of a great GM right there!!!

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Not that im opposed to poehling making the team but this 4th line and sitting games crap is exactly what we dont want to see for his development

I get what you mean. But what he will most likely get is about 10-12 minutes a game along with some PK and maybe somee PP time. I'm not opposed to that.

Reactions: Tyson

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Let's let things playout. If Poehling is floundering as the 4c, we can criticize then.

Byron and Danault started on the 4th line when they came here, proved their worth, and in a very short time worked their way up. I could see Poehling doing the same if he's ready, which I suspect he is. If he's not ready then we can call for him to be sent down.
Byron and Danault were older when they arrive in Montreal.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Byron and Danault were older when they arrive in Montreal.
It's not about age it's about if Poehling is ready to move into the top 9. If he's ready to move into the top 9 after playing well on the 4th line, it doesn't matter how old he is: he made it to the top 9.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
It's not about age it's about if Poehling is ready to move into the top 9. If he's ready to move into the top 9 after playing well on the 4th line, it doesn't matter how old he is: he made it to the top 9.
Again this is not about the top 3 lines this is about him playing on the 4th line and being benched as per MB's own words. You can decide if he is ready for the top three lines after playing 20min a game in the AHL.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014

I don't remember about Byron, but Danault "working his way up" is a myth. He was doing jack shit playing LW on the 4th line with scrubs, he got his chance because of injuries (DD+Galchenyuk were out).

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa

Byron and Danault were older and they were what they were. They didn’t have much room for growth or development at their ages, just needed some more minutes to produce in Byron’s case.

Poehling is 20. These are crucial development years where we’ve lacked in that department under MB. The skepticism is warranted imho.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Will he be getting that time while in the stands also?

God forbid a young player is scratched here or there.

MB also said that even if the young kids start in Montreal, if they start to struggle keeping up, they'll send them to Laval. So I don't expect him to be a healthy scratch for long because they'll send him down if they plan to scratch him for long.

Reactions: HankyZetts

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Again this is not about the top 3 lines this is about him playing on the 4th line and being benched as per MB's own words. You can decide if he is ready for the top three lines after playing 20min a game in the AHL.

There is no guarantee that playing 20 minutes in Laval will make him jump straight to the Top-9 when called up.

They can make that decision watching him play on the 4th line, as well.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I don't remember about Byron, but Danault "working his way up" is a myth. He was doing jack **** playing LW on the 4th line with scrubs, he got his chance because of injuries (DD+Galchenyuk were out).

I remember Byron and Danault being lights out together on the 4th line. They were what you see now: all over the ice witht heir speed and relentless on the forecheck

Reactions: HankyZetts

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Or you can see how he does playing 10 to 12 minutes a night on the 4th line. Mb specifically said sitting 1 game once in a while isn't a problem, but you don't want a young player sitting multiple games in a row.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Ugh no just no send him down if that is the plan for him. Let him get tons of ice in the AHL if all you plan on doing is playing him on the 4th line and even sitting him...
There's a common and often repeated misconception that the NHL is not a developmental league

That couldn't be further from the truth.

IMO

10-12 mins playing in the NHL > 20 mins playing in the AHL.

As long as he can get consistent minutes and a role...there's no reason why he shouldn't be on the team in that type of role

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
They can send him down to Laval on a conditioning stint when he returns. But there is a time limit to that. He can't just stay down there. Conditioning stints are temporary.
Conditioning stint still count on the 23 man roster, so he probably won't have that opportunity unless it happens at the same time as an injury to someone else.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
15 Forwards
- Domi
- Gallagher
- Danault
- Tatar
- Lehkonen
- Drouin
- Kotkaniemi
- Armia
- Weal
- Thompson
- Cousins
- Hudon
- Poehling
- Suzuki
- Byron

8 Defensemen
- Weber
- Mete
- Petry
- Chiarot
- Kulak
- Fleury
- Folin
- Reilly

3 Goalies
- Price
- Kinkaid
- Lindgren

My guess is we cut Fleury (but will come back soon) and Poehling too because of his concussion.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
There's a common and often repeated misconception that the NHL is not a developmental league

That couldn't be further from the truth.

IMO

10-12 mins playing in the NHL > 20 mins playing in the AHL.

As long as he can get consistent minutes and a role...there's no reason why he shouldn't be on the team in that type of role

It would be a lot better if NHL teams had much more control over the development of their players. The CBA restricts demands that can be made by a team to a player under contract in the off-season. They can hold a camp, a rookie camp, but that's it. Compare this to how KHL leagues have total control over their players. They stink up the joint? Down to the MHL for a few games, maybe cut their teeth on some VHL games.

You can't do shit with a player under NHL contract. IMO, a GM should attempt to circumvent this by acquiring a club in a euro league and acquiring all the players they draft. The NHL would eventually come down on it, but it could potentially pay huge dividends.

Reactions: 417

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I remember Byron and Danault being lights out together on the 4th line. They were what you see now: all over the ice witht heir speed and relentless on the forecheck
Not too many of our players have been lights out on any frickin' line in the last 5 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad