Speculation: Alternate Captain

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Not Voracek. Simmonds and I cannot believe I am saying this.. Flipper. Give it to him for a year.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
There isn't a single guy on the team who you could say is lacking in character/leadership/respect/etc... so no matter what it's going to one of the kind of guys you two are talking about.

This is the NHL, not the NFL. There are very very very few players in the league who you could say definitely shouldn't have a letter. And even further past that, this is the Flyers run by Hextall. He doesn't add players with questionable personalities/character.

Although on the other hand, our captain has been arrested for sexual harassment and assaulting a police officer...

:huh: Not that I disagree with you in principal but this is pretty presumptuous.
No one here is in the locker room (except for Johnk + and Myrtetus) so how do we know the lockerroom dynamic?

Its all well and good to mythologize Hextall's team building but this idea of the infallible character and class of NHL players/execs is lame af.

Im sure everyone, even after Dry Island, thought Richards was the perfect person to lead the Flyers. None of us, either here or in LA, was fully cognizant of the things he was dealing with.

To say that the Flyers lockerroom is devoid of questionable character guys simply because the org's PR is squeaky clean seems willfully ignorant of the things that go on behind closed doors and that inevitably effect the team in ways fans could never easily quantify

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Should be interesting to see who gets it.

I mean - Jake seems the obvious choice from an outside perspective. Seems respected, speaks his mind, good with media etc.

But whoever it is you can 95% bet on it being reflective of the locker room opinion and who is a 'leader' in there.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
:huh: Not that I disagree with you in principal but this is pretty presumptuous.
No one here is in the locker room (except for Johnk + and Myrtetus) so how do we know the lockerroom dynamic?

Its all well and good to mythologize Hextall's team building but this idea of the infallible character and class of NHL players/execs is lame af.

Im sure everyone, even after Dry Island, thought Richards was the perfect person to lead the Flyers. None of us, either here or in LA, was fully cognizant of the things he was dealing with.

To say that the Flyers lockerroom is devoid of questionable character guys simply because the org's PR is squeaky clean seems willfully ignorant of the things that go on behind closed doors and that inevitably effect the team in ways fans could never easily quantify

I'm talking about outward facing. As in, all of them are extremely professional when doing anything outside the lockerroom, whether that's interviews, interactions with fans, etc. There isn't a single guy who would embarrass the organization if given a letter. They're all squeaky clean from an outsiders perspective. I don't think that's presumptuous to say.

As far as in the lockerroom, you're right, that's anyone's guess and I've even argued against people trying to assume how guys act behind closed doors. That said, based on appearance and based on quotes from media and other players, it's a very close and likable group. I believe it was MDZ who said many times that this is the closest group of guys he's ever played with. Doesn't make it true, but it's really all we have to go on. I don't believe there has ever been any rumors to the contrary.

Then as for what I said about Hextall, what I mean by that is I can't imagine him ever adding a guy who has had any type of problems with anyone, whether that's issues with coaches, management, teammates, media, or whatever else. Like Kane or Ho-Sang, for example.

Lotusflower

Dec 23, 2013
I'm talking about outward facing. As in, all of them are extremely professional when doing anything outside the lockerroom, whether that's interviews, interactions with fans, etc. There isn't a single guy who would embarrass the organization if given a letter. They're all squeaky clean from an outsiders perspective. I don't think that's presumptuous to say.

As far as in the lockerroom, you're right, that's anyone's guess and I've even argued against people trying to assume how guys act behind closed doors. That said, based on appearance and based on quotes from media and other players, it's a very close and likable group. I believe it was MDZ who said many times that this is the closest group of guys he's ever played with. Doesn't make it true, but it's really all we have to go on. I don't believe there has ever been any rumors to the contrary.

Then as for what I said about Hextall, what I mean by that is I can't imagine him ever adding a guy who has had any type of problems with anyone, whether that's issues with coaches, management, teammates, media, or whatever else. Like Kane or Ho-Sang, for example.
Im just saying the idea that no one would embarass the franchise is presumptuous.
You're assuming to know the future.
Richards did everything you could ask of a player while he was here.
Besides some partying stories that trickled out here and there throughout his tenure he was named the captain and for all intents and purposes was one of the best leaders in team history.
No one, casuals or the die-hards on this forum could have anticipated how the front office really viewed him until the day he was traded really.
Nobody on this current team besides Giroux has the track record Richards had prior to that fateful day in 2011.
It presumes a lot to think that everybody on this current team would be an A-plus citizen in perpetuity on the strength of slanted PR fed to us by the team itself.

As a fan it makes me feel good to think our team is an unbreakable brotherhood and all that good stuff and that might be true but as a die-hard, as I assume you are with your thousands of posts, its readily apparent that the PR out front does not equate to behind the scenes reality

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Im just saying the idea that no one would embarass the franchise is presumptuous.
You're assuming to know the future.
Richards did everything you could ask of a player while he was here.
Besides some partying stories that trickled out here and there throughout his tenure he was named the captain and for all intents and purposes was one of the best leaders in team history.
No one, casuals or the die-hards on this forum could have anticipated how the front office really viewed him until the day he was traded really.
Nobody on this current team besides Giroux has the track record Richards had prior to that fateful day in 2011.
It presumes a lot to think that everybody on this current team would be an A-plus citizen in perpetuity on the strength of slanted PR fed to us by the team itself.

As a fan it makes me feel good to think our team is an unbreakable brotherhood and all that good stuff and that might be true but as a die-hard, as I assume you are with your thousands of posts, its readily apparent that the PR out front does not equate to behind the scenes reality

I misspoke. I don't mean that nobody could embarrass the team, that's impossible to know. I mean that, based on what we do know now, nobody has given us a reason to think that they will. Nobody has embarrassed the team so far or given us a reason to believe that they'll start, so I think we can all agree that anyone doing it in the future would be pretty surprising.

Obviously nobody knows the future, so we have to make decisions based on what we do know right now. And what we do know right now is there's nobody who you could point to who is a bigger risk than anyone else. Nobody had a history of being an embarrassment, so at this point anyone is an acceptable option in my eyes. Especially if we remember that it doesn't have anything to do with skill on ice, seeing as Bellemare got a letter.

**** it, give it to MacDonald for all I care. It's not like the letter has anything to do with winning or losing games.

Lotusflower

Dec 23, 2013
As with every season I fully expect our former pieces to have career years and at least one former Flyer will win the Cup.

Reactions: CarolinaFlyerFan

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Okay... to end this Poll/Thread... Jake won the Poll IIRC... Word is that THIS Season the Players voted for the 'A', which has not been the case in the recent past, and the Results are in:

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
Okay... to end this Poll/Thread... Jake won the Poll IIRC... Word is that THIS Season the Players voted for the 'A', which has not been the case in the recent past, and the Results are in:

MacDonald what a joke

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Lmao. That's so dumb

Then you are calling the Players in the Room dumb... that was their majority decision.

... I hope details arise as to why they split the 'A' into Home and Away... My guess is that there may have been an even split vote total... and they compromised in that manner... or may a consensus opinion that they both deserve it.

In any case... with Filp on the last Season of his Contract, chances are at least one half of the split letter will be available for one of the 'Yoots' as early as next Season... and the other half, in another couple Seasons... Look at this as buying some time for the kids to mature into the role... best case situation, anyway.

JMO

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
As long as MacDonald is gone like the guy who vacated the A.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I don't actually give a crap tbh, and it's pretty meaningless aside from it makes it a little more difficult to extricate the leadership group from this team, but they were pretty deep rooted with coach/management already. It's more funny than anything, especially as we thought it'd go to Coots or Jake or someone.

We're not privy to what goes on in the locker room, though certainly neither are vocal with the media or typical rah-rah guys. I could imagine that MacDonald is a popular guy, especially among the young defensemen, and maybe they wanted to give it to a d-man. I bet that his AHL time and "resurgence" actually is endearing to his teammates, and he did wear an 'A' on the island for a short time. And his beet smoothies no doubt played a vital role -- they're to die for. Filppula is a bit odder to me, but I guess veteran presence and all. He's only been with the team, summer aside, for like 2.5 months. He's never worn an 'A' in his entire time with Detroit or Tampa, as far as I know. But he does have a wise, soothing, elven quality to him.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
I don't actually give a crap tbh, and it's pretty meaningless aside from it makes it a little more difficult to extricate the leadership group from this team, but they were pretty deep rooted with coach/management already. It's more funny than anything, especially as we thought it'd go to Coots or Jake or someone.

We're not privy to what goes on in the locker room, though certainly neither are vocal with the media or typical rah-rah guys. I could imagine that MacDonald is a popular guy, especially among the young defensemen, and maybe they wanted to give it to a d-man. I bet that his AHL time and "resurgence" actually is endearing to his teammates, and he did wear an 'A' on the island for a short time. And his beet smoothies no doubt played a vital role -- they're to die for. Filppula is a bit odder to me, but I guess veteran presence and all. He's only been with the team, summer aside, for like 2.5 months. He's never worn an 'A' in his entire time with Detroit or Tampa, as far as I know. But he does have a wise, soothing, elven quality to him.

Again... keeping in mind that the Players made the decision(s)... I find it very interesting that they went older player route... Even though AMac is not very old, he is among the D-men, and I suppose, even among the entire young Team... Filp is definitely an older Veteran. Maybe the young Team, while supporting their young Captain and even younger Alternate in place, really feel better having older players taking the other slot... maybe a feeling of security.

I'm surprised to hear that AMac wore an 'A' while younger in NYI... but IIRC Filp did in fact wear a letter in his last stop. In any case IMO he gives off a feeling of maturity and leadership... kinda has a Kimmo type feeling about him.

No matter what, as many have stated before... it is no major deal. The Team has spoken, and got what a majority of them wanted.

Philadelphia Ducks

Win it for Ed
May 8, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Can't believe people are getting mad that the PLAYERS chose AMac, we have no idea what goes on the room, he clearly is deserving of it. People need to get over the idea that it has to be defaulted to the best on ice players.

Reactions: The Madrigal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad