Speculation: Alternate Captain

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
With Pierre-Edouard Bellemare selected in the Expansion Draft, there is an opening for an Alternate Captain beside Giroux and Simmonds... Assuming that G and Simmer hold onto their Letter, who do you think will be selected to wear the second 'A'?

This Poll is not asking who you WANT, rather who you believe will BE CHOSEN.

I have chosen five returning Veterans... four with multiple Season remaining and one on his Final Season... three are Forwards and two are Defensemen... There is also an 'Other/None' slot; if chosen, please tell us who you believe or of you think there will be none selected out of Camp.

I expect a spirited discussion... and some great reasoning.

EDIT: Poll will be shut down after Training Camp... in 92 Days.

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I will vote in a minute when the poll pops up, but I would think Jake is a great option. Multiple players have mentioned that they went and spoke to him when they needed advice, and those are only the occasions I have read about, so there could be a ton more. Simmer is the more obvious choice with obvious, stellar qualities that suit the "A" - so one of those two guys. Ghost will be a great one in the near future.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
I will vote in a minute when the poll pops up, but I would think Jake is a great option. Multiple players have mentioned that they went and spoke to him when they needed advice, and those are only the occasions I have read about, so there could be a ton more. Simmer is the more obvious choice with obvious, stellar qualities that suit the "A" - so one of those two guys. Ghost will be a great one in the near future.

For the purposes of this Poll, we are assuming that Simmonds retains his 'A' and G, his 'C'.

That said, I suppose they could take the letter from either Player... Highly doubtful though.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Ghost. Gives the younger crowd a voice in the leadership group. Outgoing, well-spoken, media friendly, and most importantly a natural leader.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Voracek always seems like a real talkative guy and one of the leaders.

I've read before, I think from Meltzer, that Couturier has really developed into a quiet leader.

Thus, it will be MacDonald. No better way to get the boys pumped than with his signature beet smoothies.

Hakroach

Veteran Presence
Jan 4, 2005
Helsinki
Voted Filppula but Voracek is also a real possibility.

If the management wants to groom Patrick into a captain, they can give the A to Valle the veteran for two seasons and then move it to Patrick. I really have no clue is this in consideration.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
My reasoning behind my eventual Vote is as Follows:

Filp would be a find choice being a well respected Veteran and only one Season left probably wouldn't preclude selecting him... but his relative newness to the Team IMO does.

Coots is a good choice, but not close to my first choice.

Jake probably deserves it most... but will probably be on the Ice with G... and I believe the 'A' will go to a BlueLiner... just a hunch... had that last time also, which didn't prove true.

Gudas is my Dark Horse Candidate... May surprise us.

MacDonald... while he would be the most hated choice on this Forum and with the Fan-Base, is who I voted for... He is well respected on the Team and in the Organization and is the Veteran D-Man... and IMO the Selection will be from the Back-End.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
If the management wants to groom Patrick into a captain, they can give the A to Valle the veteran for two seasons and then move it to Patrick

Grooming is for animals. Strip the 'C' off Giroux right now and give it to Patrick.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Ghost. Gives the younger crowd a voice in the leadership group. Outgoing, well-spoken, media friendly, and most importantly a natural leader.

I did not list the Young Guns... although they will undoubtedly be the ones with the Letters before very long... I just don't believe they will be considered.

They of course would fill the 'Other' slot, I'm certain.

catbellysqueezer

Dec 26, 2015
I thought we were getting rid of Simmonds because he's old, might actually get paid in accordance with his production level, and to clear up room for all the prospects we have that could replace him as our top scorer.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I say Gostisbehere should get it.

He already seems like a leader, as much as any of the other options, at least based on what we know. He's intense, but controlled.

I've said it a million times now, but I think he's like defensemen Giroux.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Ghost would be my vote but I don't see the coach giving it to him. So I voted Voracek because thats who I think it will be

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Ghost or Provorov would be my choice, but I expect Voracek.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I think they're going to follow recent trends of putting a letter on a young kid's sweater so I'm thinking Provolone or Ghost.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
I'm gonna say Ghost, Gudas, or Provy. Jake is not leadership material, I'm not sure where anyone is gathering this idea, especially above other choices.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm gonna say Ghost, Gudas, or Provy. Jake is not leadership material, I'm not sure where anyone is gathering this idea, especially above other choices.

Where are you gathering the idea that he is not?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad