Speculation: Alternate Captain

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Now that I think about it Provorov is definitely a dark horse candidate.

I would be surprised, but not shocked, to see him handed one

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Well, he's one of the few veterans left and as far as leadership goes I'd pick him before Voracek. I don't see Voracek as the kind of leader this team needs tbh and right now he's playing terrible hockey.

My pick would still be Ghost, though. He just seems like a natural leader.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Here's a thought... They could go with short-term holder... awaiting young Player to mature and earn a Letter -- if Jake gets it, for example, we are looking long-term -- If they go with Filp, we probably buy a Season... go with AMac and we buy another Seson; we'd be looking at two most likely... Gudas would up it a little... YADA, YADA, YADA

... They Flyers could buy some time and then go with Provo or maybe even Nolan... if he proves to really be on the fast track.

Also... I suppose we could be looking at another open Letter if Simmer is not extended and either is traded or is allowed to walk and test the Open market.

Just spit-balling here. :popcorn:

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Here's a thought... They could go with short-term holder... awaiting young Player to mature and earn a Letter -- if Jake gets it, for example, we are looking long-term -- If they go with Filp, we probably buy a Season... go with AMac and we buy another Seson; we'd be looking at two most likely... Gudas would up it a little... YADA, YADA, YADA

... They Flyers could buy some time and then go with Provo or maybe even Nolan... if he proves to really be on the fast track.

Also... I suppose we could be looking at another open Letter if Simmer is not extended and either is traded or is allowed to walk and test the Open market.

Just spit-balling here. :popcorn:
Yeah, that was exactly my thought. If you don't think Ghost/Provy/another young player is ready, just go with the short term solution.
You don't want to give it to Voracek just to strip it from him 1-2 years later.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It really doesn't matter. It's not like wearing a letter changes anything other than you might have to talk to the dumbass media more often.

Give it to Manning for all I care. At least he could start working on learning the alphabet up in the press box. One letter at a time.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
I understand that wearing a letter doesn't change how a player plays etc, etc, but to me it does matter, it speaks about character, leadership, and team to me it always has it always will, I believe the guys in the room also share the same sentiment as I do, why wouldn't it be important to any franchise who wears the letters? They become extensions of the crest on the front of the sweater, they represent the franchise and have earned respect from their peers to even be considered, so in short it does matter and one of the kids should wear it, my vote is for Provy

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
It also sends a message to the player and the team, how a player should represent the team on and off the ice.
It's definitely not just a letter. Especially when you have so many young and inexperienced players on your team.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
There isn't a single guy on the team who you could say is lacking in character/leadership/respect/etc... so no matter what it's going to one of the kind of guys you two are talking about.

This is the NHL, not the NFL. There are very very very few players in the league who you could say definitely shouldn't have a letter. And even further past that, this is the Flyers run by Hextall. He doesn't add players with questionable personalities/character.

Although on the other hand, our captain has been arrested for sexual harassment and assaulting a police officer...

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Letters matter to the guys who are given them. They dont have big outcomes on games though.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
While it really cannot be proven... it can be argued that becoming a Captain/Alt-Captain can effect a Player's game in a positive manner... both with recognition and/or responsibility.

Also un-provable is that Teams can play better with the right Captain... and it can effect individual Games. Again, I cannot prove these statements... so take them for what they are worth. haha

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The day Bellemare was named assistant captain, the Flyers started a 1 game win streak and finished the season 9-7-2. He finished the final 20 games with 1 assist. You could just feel the team and him playing with newfound energy and fortitude.

This is going to be an important decision. Maybe the most important decision the team can make all year. They better not screw it up and give it to ****ing Voracek.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
The day Bellemare was named assistant captain, the Flyers started a 1 game win streak and finished the season 9-7-2. He finished the final 20 games with 1 assist. You could just feel the team and him playing with newfound energy and fortitude.

This made me laugh.

Bellemare seems like a nice guy. It is great that he made it to the NHL out of obscurity.

That said, whenever I read about his "leadership" I wonder what fairy tale people think underscores wins and losses at the NHL level.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Of course not every choice for a Letter will make a difference... but a Team does want every advantage... so they want their Leadership to be the best it can be.

This will not make or break the Season... but it may help set the path better. Most likely a bad choice will not hurt them much... but the right choice could help in the long run. Why not make the best of it?

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Of course not every choice for a Letter will make a difference... but a Team does want every advantage... so they want their Leadership to be the best it can be.

This will not make or break the Season... but it may help set the path better. Most likely a bad choice will not hurt them much... but the right choice could help in the long run. Why not make the best of it?

I was just messing around ;)

Though I do think that it's effect will be mostly ceremonial. Whoever the voices are will stay the voices they are, letter or not. Like I do think Voracek and Couturier and Ghost and so on are big presences in the room already and will stay so.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
This made me laugh.

Bellemare seems like a nice guy. It is great that he made it to the NHL out of obscurity.

That said, whenever I read about his "leadership" I wonder what fairy tale people think underscores wins and losses at the NHL level.

Intangibles have been giving terrible hockey players employment for a long time.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
I was just messing around ;)

Though I do think that it's effect will be mostly ceremonial. Whoever the voices are will stay the voices they are, letter or not. Like I do think Voracek and Couturier and Ghost and so on are big presences in the room already and will stay so.

I know... It's all good. :)

I hear you... and for the most part agree... Leaders will lead with or without a Letter. That said... the Letter is recognition that the Player receiving it gets, and the other Players give... They are front-men that the Fans and Media take notice of... and some up their, Game and others follow... SOMETIMES, that is.

Then there is the opposite situation like with Rico... He was a Leader who led with an 'A' but wasn't better with the 'C' -- especially how it was thrusted on him and why -- And Primeau who succeeded him... who seemed to thrive with the 'C'... and Keith it is saaid was a buffer in each direction between Hitch and the Players.

The 'A' is not as meaningful in the main as the 'C'... but to a lesser extent it is.

The 'A' was great for Belly... certainly a recognition... and s you pointed out, they did have a winning record under his tenure. ;) .... Who is the nest to be recognized.

(((Don't tell Striiker,,, but word on the street is that he will be the Weal deal... shhhh )))

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad