Pre-Game Talk: Almost there.... Pens vs. Bruins Game 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Three words for the offense and defense.

Offense: Crash the net

Defense: Clear the crease

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Haven't seen much of that slapper this year, although he let a few fly in the Ottawa series.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Kelly Chase ******** on Vokoun on NHL Tonight. I think the thing I am actually most looking forward to is TV stuffing it right down everyone's pie hole the longer the playoffs go on.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Its actually starting to get annoying now. Every single person i hear talking about our matchup mentions how are goaltending is extremely shaky and our defence is worse than bostons. Has anybody heard of vokoun before these playoffs? Hes been one of the better and more consistent goalies in the last decade. But now a rookies comes along scores 4 goals in 5 games and hes the next bobby orr?

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Kelly Chase ******** on Vokoun on NHL Tonight. I think the thing I am actually most looking forward to is TV stuffing it right down everyone's pie hole the longer the playoffs go on.

earlier in the day i was reading the trade-board Vokoun free-agency threads from the time between the '11 TDL to when he signed with Washington. man-o-man was he the darling of hfboards. every poster was bending over backwards to praise him. now, apparently he's trash...:shakehead

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Ugh the team that loses tomorrow will have a very pissed off fanbase thats for sure. Waiting a week for a loss. I really hope the Pens don't come out flat in the beginning and do one of their signature early checkouts.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
I think part of it is that people are just looking for anything they can point to as a weakness for the Pens. Another part of it is that there are also people who just hate the Pens and will crap on them any chance they get.

Kelly Chase has twice in the same hour said that he feels that we'll see Fleury in this series in case it gets "taxing." Worried about that terrifying Bruins offensive attack, I guess. It is genuinely amusing that people act like Vokoun is some career backup.

ETA: they do a mic'ed up thing and one of the shots is Chris Neil on the bench yelling at Orpik after he blew up Gryba. He yelled "We'll see how tough you are in Ottawa!" El oh el.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
9eb784_ce330706ca0356df3f165d81c9f7adca.gif

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Three words for the offense and defense.

Offense: Crash the net

Defense: Clear the crease

M & M.

Morrow and Murray.

I think that both will be more key this series than most think.

Speaking of three words, as for far too many Boston fans, I honestly do not think that they know more than three words in their entire vocabulary:

Arrogant.

Refs.

Vokoun (sucks).

I wish that they would get less repetitive in their off the wall conspiracies and just plain wrong ideas. It would make wading through it all much more interesting.

Have I mentioned how much I miss Senators' fans?

Kruncher11

a whole lotta grease
Jun 27, 2011
Pittsburgh
So I got tickets to the game tonight. Words cannot describe how pumped I am! This will be my first time at Consol. Needless to say tomorrow will be the slowest day of my life until 8 o'clock rolls around :laugh:

Really interested in seeing how we match up against Boston in a ECF setting. Should be a great series to watch no matter what though!!

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Tomas Vokoun praised by ex-teammates on Bruins

By Fluto Shinzawa
Globe Staff
June 01, 2013

WILMINGTON — In 2009-10, opponents put 2,081 shots on Tomas Vokoun. The Florida netminder faced 33.6 shots per start, the highest amount of rubber faced among the top-25 busiest goalies.

Three current Bruins were guilty of allowing Vokoun to be treated like a Shooter Tutor: Gregory Campbell, Nathan Horton, and Dennis Seidenberg.

“He did,†Campbell said with a smile when asked if Vokoun saw a lot of shots. “Maybe a lot like [Roberto] Luongo, I could remember, when he first got to Florida. There were 45-50 shots on average per night. So he’s used to facing a lot of shots. He’s been good for them this year.â€

That season, Vokoun thrived under the heat. In 62 starts, Vokoun posted a 23-28-11 record with a 2.55 goals-against average and a .925 save percentage. Among goalies with 40 or more starts, Vokoun trailed only Ryan Miller (.929) in save percentage.

Three years later, Vokoun is submitting ace numbers once more.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...d-teammates/sM9VFsdBozjvslPBAGNfJP/story.html

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
i went to like 60 games when vokoun was panthers of the goalie guy was a beast when he was facing that many shots

I remember hating when the Pens played Florida when he was there. They were such a crappy team, but they always gave us fits, solely because of Vokoun.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I have heard each series that to beat the Pens you have to hit them and hit them hard. And each series the other team does indeed make that part of their game plan. And each series it is one of the opposing teams players that ends up knocked out of the series by a clean brutal hit.

Gryba never returned. The Pens' physicality is pretty underrated. The Pens were especially intimidating a couple weeks before the playoffs started, and I think that we will see that again this series. The Pens should again out physical an opponent and yet again, when the Bruins try and take it hard to the Pens, I think that it will be one of theirs that ends up taking the worst of it.

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
15 hours to go. Maybe the anticipation is why I haven't been able to sleep at all tonight? This day can't go by fast enough.

Sotty

Nov 1, 2004
Westfalen
Wow, what does it take to become an "expert" for TSN? Mike Johnson said in one video, that the Pens depend on their PP more than anything to get offense/goals. Lol, did he watch any games this year? The Pens had the 2nd best 5on5 ratio in the regular season and the best in the playoffs through the first two rounds. :laugh:

xgallantx

Sold Soul for a Cup
Oct 2, 2006
Newfoundland
You do realize the Bruins aren't really THAT big right, both in general and compared to the Pens. Yeah they have their beasts but Pens do too and the Bruins are not like that top to bottom or anything.

Obviously you have Lucic and Horton and Chara (although he's not really even a constant hitter) and Boychuk and Mcquaid, but you look at the rest of there forwards and there is minimal size. Krejci, Bergeron, Marchand, Seguin, Kelly, Peverley, Campbell, Paille bring little of that and you still have hobbit Krug and guys like Hamilton and Bartkowski on the back-end.

Not here to start anything as I agree, the Bruins aren't exactly the Big Bad Bruins of old. One guy in your group of non-hitters is Paille. And though he isn't overly big the guy skates like the wind and really brings the wood. Has already had a big big crunches this post season. He's the only guy on the 4th line that comes up with some big hits, Campbell tries and Thornton is a better hockey player than hitter....

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
Not here to start anything as I agree, the Bruins aren't exactly the Big Bad Bruins of old. One guy in your group of non-hitters is Paille. And though he isn't overly big the guy skates like the wind and really brings the wood. Has already had a big big crunches this post season. He's the only guy on the 4th line that comes up with some big hits, Campbell tries and Thornton is a better hockey player than hitter....

Yeah I wasn't really going for hitters as much as pure size since that's what the guy was referring to but agreed in Paille on that note.

Duffy13

‎(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻
Feb 16, 2013
PEI, Canada
Going to miss game 1 :(

But at least there are 3 guaranteed games left... and with this hopefully going to be a stress inducing classic on both sides I hope it goes game 7 into overtime just to enjoy two great teams as long as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad