Pre-Game Talk: Almost there.... Pens vs. Bruins Game 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Did you guys even hear the rest of Ray Shero's conference?

"He's been a great partner with Marc-Andre, Marc is a great guy to get along with and I think they push each other and we made the trade for Tomas Vokoun and I said at the time I'm hoping this is going to make Marc-Andre a better goaltender, support him and I think it's done that and without having a Tomas Vokoun to go to in game 5 of the Islander series, I'm not sure what happens, I'm not sure we don't win but I'm not sure we do, but again that takes that pressure off of Marc-Andre for that point in time and you know Marc's game is back in order right now I believe through his practices and so forth but Tomas has done a very good job for us"

There's more in the video if you're interested but it's not just "If we don't have Vokoun in game 5, I'm not sure what happens" You guys take that and say "Fleury's future isn't bright" but when all of Shero's words about that subject are there, it's a bit different, don't you think?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

"He's been a great partner with Marc-Andre, Marc is a great guy to get along with and I think they push each other and we made the trade for Tomas Vokoun and I said at the time I'm hoping this is going to make Marc-Andre a better goaltender, support him and I think it's done that and without having a Tomas Vokoun to go to in game 5 of the Islander series, I'm not sure what happens, I'm not sure we don't win but I'm not sure we do, but again that takes that pressure off of Marc-Andre for that point in time and you know Marc's game is back in order right now I believe through his practices and so forth but Tomas has done a very good job for us"

There's more in the video if you're interested but it's not just "If we don't have Vokoun in game 5, I'm not sure what happens" You guys take that and say "Fleury's future isn't bright" but when all of Shero's words about that subject are there, it's a bit different, don't you think?

Yes, it seems worse. Since he specifically said, "I'm not sure we win that series if MAF is the goaltender"

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
"I'm not sure we don't win but I'm not sure we do"
that's what RS said, I hear that as I am glad I spent that $2M on TV, things worked out, nothing more nothing less...
He would keep both of them if it was the same cap situation

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
".. and you know Marc's game is back in order right now I believe through his practices and so forth ..."
Well, who the **** cares about practice? We know what´s MAF´s potential, but that headcase is not recogizable at practices. It´s recognizable in the playoffs, that´s the key part of the thing. We can´t afford to give him new and new chances in the playoffs every year.

StutzlesTapeJob

Dec 22, 2008
TV is going to start so i'm not worried about fleury until after the year. He has his chances, he didn't own it.

Going in to game 1 i feel good about our skill, talent, and level of play.

I am really worried about the size of the bruins. Against the rangers, they owned the middle of the ice in both zones. Now we can score on the rush, that will be important. But our best bet is to keep this one short (obv as that sounds) the longer it goes, the more i think the pounding will take its toll.

What's funny is that against the rangers, the B's werent even always making great plays positionally. But with their size, when they have the box set up, it is so difficult to penetrate cleanly and get good looks at the net. And quite frankly we dont have the size to go pound for pound. Cooke TK Adams etc. may have a harder time.

Two key players. Morrow. I expect the bruins to come out saying we give no respect. We are going to make it hell on your skill players. They are better equipped to do this than either the islanders or sens. But imaging 4-5 Matt Martins or 4-5 Chris Neals. Morrow, cooke, kunitz, brooks need to be ready to fight fire with fire in games 1 and 2. But morrow as an experienced guy and ex capt should be ready to take matters into hand if the going gets too tough.

Second is Malkin. I actually think Crosby and his line will still put up points on big Z. Crosby is going to be ready. But even so, if Geno's line owns their matchup we control the games. We get early leads, we dictate the style of game.

Very excited for this. Way too excited.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
TV is going to start so i'm not worried about fleury until after the year. He has his chances, he didn't own it.

I am really worried about the size of the bruins. Against the rangers, they owned the middle of the ice in both zones. Now we can score on the rush, that will be important. But our best bet is to keep this one short (obv as that sounds) the longer it goes, the more i think the pounding will take its toll.

What's funny is that against the rangers, the B's werent even always making great plays positionally. But with their size, when they have the box set up, it is so difficult to penetrate cleanly and get good looks at the net. And quite frankly we dont have the size to go pound for pound. Cooke TK Adams etc. may have a harder time.

Two key players. Morrow. I expect the bruins to come out saying we give no respect. We are going to make it hell on your skill players. They are better equipped to do this than either the islanders or sens. But imaging 4-5 Matt Martins or 4-5 Chris Neals. Morrow, cooke, kunitz, brooks need to be ready to fight fire with fire in games 1 and 2. But morrow as an experienced guy and ex capt should be ready to take matters into hand if the going gets too tough.
Second is Malkin. I actually think Crosby and his line will still put up points on big Z. Crosby is going to be ready. But even so, if Geno's line owns their matchup we control the games. We get early leads, we dictate the style of game.

Well said all around. I think Sid will still put up points (obviously) but not enough to single-handedly win it, which is where Geno's line is going to need to pump some goals in.

This series is pretty much exactly why we got Morrow (and Murray), I think his size and strength could be a factor. Depends on his minutes of course.

I don't know why but I feel like TK's speed can be a factor here, and he's always been pretty good down low and on the cycle despite his size.

We need to contain Krejci's line. Not give them much zone time and allow the big bodies of Horton and Lucic go to work on our D, and limit odd-man rushes which they can score on effectively too.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
recipe for success:
Bruins OK not that good. I am Score!
if that works out we're golden, he seems to be pumped, he wasn't getting rattled against Sens, Boston may be big, but when you have 17, 18, and 12 coming down at you at a full speed with that strength and skill and speed, no one can match that...

so relax, I am score We win!

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Dan was asked about Iginla and the IMN line on NHL Live. He briefly mentioned Iggy's point totals, but then he started saying how you saw in last year's playoffs that Geno and Neal got thrown off their games and rattled a little bit, and essentially that Iggy's biggest impact is that he has been able to calm things down for them because of his physical presence on that line.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Dan was asked about Iginla and the IMN line on NHL Live. He briefly mentioned Iggy's point totals, but then he started saying how you saw in last year's playoffs that Geno and Neal got thrown off their games and rattled a little bit, and essentially that Iggy's biggest impact is that he has been able to calm things down for them because of his physical presence on that line.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Iginla get into a few fights this series. The guy is such a hard worker, and this is the first time he's been in this position in eight years. He's going to turn it up a notch this series.

Go Pens Go!!!

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I wouldn't be surprised to see Iginla get into a few fights this series. The guy is such a hard worker, and this is the first time he's been in this position in eight years. He's going to turn it up a notch this series.

Go Pens Go!!!

I'm expecting him to be huge for us, and I'm excited to see it.

Dan's comments were interesting since we've all been speculating why he keeps putting him on that line instead of Sid's. Putting him with Geno/Neal to be a stabilizer and calming/veteran presence because they can get quite stupid at times with after the whistle stuff was something that I never thought of.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
I'm expecting him to be huge for us, and I'm excited to see it.

Dan's comments were interesting since we've all been speculating why he keeps putting him on that line instead of Sid's. Putting him with Geno/Neal to be a stabilizer and calming/veteran presence because they can get quite stupid at times with after the whistle stuff was something that I never thought of.

Yeah. I'm guessing that the shenanigans that happened last year vs Philly would be less likely to happen this year with Iginla in the lineup.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Heard an interview with Shero the other day. Couple tidbits.

His thoughts on MAF's future. "I haven't looked at that yet. Not really concerned about any of that stuff, just concentrating on the Stanley Cup playoffs right now."

Did your adding toughness at the deadline point to the fact that you thought your team as constructed lacked toughness? "I wouldn't say that....but the current style of play in the league, and the way things are being called, you want to be as tough to play as possible. And in last years playoffs we iced guys like Steve Sullivan and Richard Park, who aren't exactly big guys. "

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
recipe for success:
Bruins OK not that good. I am Score!
if that works out we're golden, he seems to be pumped, he wasn't getting rattled against Sens, Boston may be big, but when you have 17, 18, and 12 coming down at you at a full speed with that strength and skill and speed, no one can match that...

so relax, I am score We win!

You really think Jeffrey can take full advantage of Neal and Iggy?

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh

You do realize the Bruins aren't really THAT big right, both in general and compared to the Pens. Yeah they have their beasts but Pens do too and the Bruins are not like that top to bottom or anything.

Obviously you have Lucic and Horton and Chara (although he's not really even a constant hitter) and Boychuk and Mcquaid, but you look at the rest of there forwards and there is minimal size. Krejci, Bergeron, Marchand, Seguin, Kelly, Peverley, Campbell, Paille bring little of that and you still have hobbit Krug and guys like Hamilton and Bartkowski on the back-end.

Slabber Chops

Feb 20, 2005
New Zealand

TV is a $2 million insurance package and as such is a back-up. I think the main reason that MAF has not returned is a reward for solid performances. If MAF wants to play; no, if he really wants to play and is hungry for action, he has this precedent to look at. Flail and you're benched. The #1 is no longer MAF's as of right. It's an example of excellent management by Shero.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I sooooo want an "I am Score" moment tommorrow. Right around or through Chara please...

I sleep easy knowing there is always the chance Malkin goes all uberrussian superstar on a series... Or Sid does his thing... there is no real rhyme or reason they do that... can be against a bad team or a great one, and when it happens no one can stop it...

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Also, there is a real possibility if the Pens were to manage to win the Cup Vokoun retires... I wouldnt rule that out before people jump to a conclusion with MAF

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
I sooooo want an "I am Score" moment tommorrow. Right around or through Chara please...

I sleep easy knowing there is always the chance Malkin goes all uberrussian superstar on a series... Or Sid does his thing... there is no real rhyme or reason they do that... can be against a bad team or a great one, and when it happens no one can stop it...

On that note, maybe we see 71 in form of his last conf finals?

One of my favorite goals and calls of all time with the blind backhand top shelf by Geno for the hat trick vs the Canes in the 09 ECF.

Just a 1 shot game..."oh my lord! Evgeni Malkin spectacular for the hat trick"... Not a 1 goal game anymore...

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
Also, there is a real possibility if the Pens were to manage to win the Cup Vokoun retires... I wouldnt rule that out before people jump to a conclusion with MAF

Even if we win, doubt it. He's got a year left on his contract and he's still got a lot of play left in him.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
You do realize the Bruins aren't really THAT big right, both in general and compared to the Pens. Yeah they have their beasts but Pens do too and the Bruins are not like that top to bottom or anything.

Obviously you have Lucic and Horton and Chara (although he's not really even a constant hitter) and Boychuk and Mcquaid, but you look at the rest of there forwards and there is minimal size. Krejci, Bergeron, Marchand, Seguin, Kelly, Peverley, Campbell, Paille bring little of that and you still have hobbit Krug and guys like Hamilton and Bartkowski on the back-end.
Somebody posted the stats the other day. The Pens & Bruins are almost exactly the same in terms of size. Both teams average 6'1" and I think the Pens were 2 lbs. heavier on average.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
this week layoff is killing me. don't know how football fans do it. this is why I can't see football fans having the same emotional investment as hockey, baseball or basketball fans.

tomorrow night can't come fast enough!

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009

One of my favorite goals and calls of all time with the blind backhand top shelf by Geno for the hat trick vs the Canes in the 09 ECF.

Just a 1 shot game..."oh my lord! Evgeni Malkin spectacular for the hat trick"... Not a 1 goal game anymore...

Beast Mode Malkin during game 2 of that series.

Tomorrow night cannot come soon enough.

od71

Apr 8, 2012

When he scored that goal he was chased by Dennis Seidenberg.

This goal he scored in the final of WC 2012 after breezing through Zdeno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad