Tribute All things Seattle Kraken and 1st Playoffs

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
So who you all got making it through to the conference finals in the other games (I don't dare ask for predictions about our beloved Kraken in our beloved sub-forum)

Golden Knights vs. Oilers
Maple Leafs vs. Panthers
Hurricanes vs. Devils

I'm going with Knights, Leafs, Canes.

I'm mostly just disappointed that Dallas is in this still (I was a North Stars fan as a child)

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
So who you all got making it through to the conference finals in the other games (I don't dare ask for predictions about our beloved Kraken in our beloved sub-forum)

Golden Knights vs. Oilers
Maple Leafs vs. Panthers
Hurricanes vs. Devils

I'm going with Knights, Leafs, Canes.

I'm mostly just disappointed that Dallas is in this still (I was a North Stars fan as a child)

I'm going with Knights, Panthers and Canes.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
I'd be annoyed if I were a Dallas home team fan, but I like these game schedules:

1683060314868.png

Reactions: topcatone

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Reading the postmortem reports on the Colorado series.

The Kraken were not "lucky." A team doesn't win 4 out of 7 games by luck alone. Nor does a team outplay the opponent by luck.

The Avs were injured excuse. Well, the Kraken had their top forward and another top 6 forward out. On top of that the Kraken had a 13 forward rotation, so losing 2 means they would've brought up Hayden, but he's injured as well. So they brought up a kid with no NHL experience.

Makar was suspended excuse. That's entirely on him. It's his fault he bounced McCann's head off the glass with his upper arm and elbow intentionally.

Looking forward... Dallas is a good team, but not necessarily vastly better than Colorado. We played them pretty tight in the regular season although one game got tilted in their favor. Hoping for a competitive series where we play hard but disciplined.

Go Kraken!

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Saw my first 'the expansion rules are too generous' posts last night. :D Get that in my veins. From the same people that talked shit about the Kraken/Hakstol/Francis all last season, last off season and who gave it 'they'll fall apart soon' all throughout this season.

Part of me would love a Vegas Seattle WCF just to see the mainboards go into utter meltdown. Even funnier if Florida won the East and killed the All Canadian Oilers Leafs dream final.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I don't know how we won last night. I don't know how Goirde's crazy shot managed to go in. I looked at it about a dozen times and I still don't know, a deperation shot totally improvised in the moment from an impossible place. Mind boggling

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I don't know how we won last night. I don't know how Goirde's crazy shot managed to go in. I looked at it about a dozen times and I still don't know, a deperation shot totally improvised in the moment from an impossible place. Mind boggling
The shot was partially screened, and I don't think anyone expected Gourde to just fling it toward the net. There was certainly some element of luck involved there, but I think catching the goalie off guard was one of the main reasons it went into the net.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Saw my first 'the expansion rules are too generous' posts last night. :D Get that in my veins. From the same people that talked shit about the Kraken/Hakstol/Francis all last season, last off season and who gave it 'they'll fall apart soon' all throughout this season.

Part of me would love a Vegas Seattle WCF just to see the mainboards go into utter meltdown. Even funnier if Florida won the East and killed the All Canadian Oilers Leafs dream final.
A lot of fans of other teams aren't going to be thrilled that Vegas and now Seattle came into the league and got competitive very quickly. I wasn't really expecting it when Vegas did it, and it kind of annoyed me since they quickly eclipsed the Sharks and Canucks (closest teams at that time).

On the other hand, I tip my hat to the league and think it was a prudent business decision. If your goal is to expand the sport of hockey's fanbase and open new markets, it seems far better to give those markets a good product to pique their interest, give them something fun to watch. Strapping an anchor to a new franchise and dragging them along on the bottom for decades is self defeating in this sense. Fans of any sort, not just those new to hockey, aren't going to be as energized by a team that finishes last year in and year out. See the Atlanta Thrashers, etc., where expansion went up in a mushroom cloud. Why would the NHL want to do that as the "preferred business model"?

Reactions: Kevinsane and kihei

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
A lot of fans of other teams aren't going to be thrilled that Vegas and now Seattle came into the league and got competitive very quickly. I wasn't really expecting it when Vegas did it, and it kind of annoyed me since they quickly eclipsed the Sharks and Canucks (closest teams at that time).

On the other hand, I tip my hat to the league and think it was a prudent business decision. If your goal is to expand the sport of hockey's fanbase and open new markets, it seems far better to give those markets a good product to pique their interest, give them something fun to watch. Strapping an anchor to a new franchise and dragging them along on the bottom for decades is self defeating in this sense. Fans of any sort, not just those new to hockey, aren't going to be as energized by a team that finishes last year in and year out. See the Atlanta Thrashers, etc., where expansion went up in a mushroom cloud. Why would the NHL want to do that as the "preferred business model"?
Agreed. MLS has similar expansion rules which make teams at least semi competitive but you still have to be sharp on what signings you pick up in drafts and free agency. Interesting the two different approaches both teams took. I do wonder if at some point Seattle will try and get a true star 1C. Move Beniers to 2C.

Reactions: Kat Predator

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Agreed. MLS has similar expansion rules which make teams at least semi competitive but you still have to be sharp on what signings you pick up in drafts and free agency. Interesting the two different approaches both teams took. I do wonder if at some point Seattle will try and get a true star 1C. Move Beniers to 2C.
I'm not counting Beniers out as a viable 1C at this point. He's still developing physically, etc. He's clearly very talented, has a high ceiling, and isn't in his prime yet.

Reactions: kihei

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

Beniers is our #1C and if Wright develops we might have a solid 1-2 punch down the middle.

Beniers won't ever challenge McDavid for the scoring crown but he's a 70 - 85 point center with a very good two way game.
Somewhat similar to a Jonathan Toews, IMO, and certainly a guy you like to have as your #1 center.

Though, we'll need some more elite offensive talent and it's going to be hard to get that drafting in the 20's or signing guys in free agency.
That's why I wouldn't be surprised if Francis moves a first rounder(this years is at #21, if we don't make it to the WCF) in order to try and get a guy(DeBrincat doesn't ssem to be interested to resign in Ottawa, for example) like that.

Reactions: Kat Predator

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
seattle has everything it needs to make a deep run. They remind me a bit of the 2011 Bruins, who lacked a bit on the top like but made up for it in depth, struture and goaltending.

This team will go as far as Grubauer can take them. If he holds up, the sky's the limit. If he falters, whenever he falters, that's pretty much end of the line.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Kraken fans, just wondering is McCann still hurt? Do you expect him back for the 7th game?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad