Tribute All things Seattle Kraken and 1st Playoffs

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Colorado is 6 points back of Vegas and has a possible 10. Will they catch and pass Vegas? If that happens, then we could end the season against Vegas with a home-and-home and turn right around and play Vegas in a best of 7.

That's a lot of Vegas.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Western Conference is crawling with big games tonight. Kind of fun to just sit back and watch the chaos ensue.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
It really doesn't matter to me who the Kraken will face in the first round. They have absolutely nothing to lose and they have been playing like that all season. If they just keep that up they will not disappoint.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I'm leaning Dallas as well. I think we match up pretty well with them and played them pretty well for the most part.

Minnesota's goaltending has been playing lights out. And they just got Kaprizov back. Not sure they're super deep, but they have some aces.

Colorado isn't an obvious choice, but their goaltending could be an issue. Like us, they often end up outscoring their problems.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Another possibility is catching Los Angeles and playing either Vegas or Edmonton in round 1. Edmonton, along with Boston, is the hottest team in the league at the moment.

Who slots in at 1, 2 and 3, 4 has yet to be decided with only a few games left.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Another possibility is catching Los Angeles and playing either Vegas or Edmonton in round 1. Edmonton, along with Boston, is the hottest team in the league at the moment.

Who slots in at 1, 2 and 3, 4 has yet to be decided with only a few games left.
In order to overtake LA, one would think the Kraken would have to win the majority of those points in the two Vegas games to close out the season. If they do that, it is more than likely Edmonton would pass Vegas and take the 1 seed.

It is really feeling like it is going to be a Vegas/Colorado first round match-up.

Both teams are tough draws, but I have to think that no team in the west would be looking forward to a first round match-up with Seattle either, which if you think about it, is a pretty ringing endorsement for the Kraken's potential in any series.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
McCann was pretty righteously slammed by many in Western PA for "disappearing" during the playoffs. Given the Pens lack of success getting past the first round since the last Cup in '17, I think there's a bit more blame to spread around. I sure hope McCann has a strong post-season and puts this to rest. And I still shake my head in wonder seeing how Sprong has developed into a serviceable player.

Reactions: brewski420

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
McCann was pretty righteously slammed by many in Western PA for "disappearing" during the playoffs. Given the Pens lack of success getting past the first round since the last Cup in '17, I think there's a bit more blame to spread around. I sure hope McCann has a strong post-season and puts this to rest. And I still shake my head in wonder seeing how Sprong has developed into a serviceable player.

To be fair, McCann only played 3 games as a 22 and 23 years old.

IIRC from previous discussions, in that last series McCann was deployed differently after they acquired Carter, but he still had pretty good metrics. He just did not put up points.

Not producing when your role and your linemates are changed right before the playoffs is probably to be expected, but continuing to have solid metrics but just not putting up points in that situation is actually a pretty good sign, all things considered, imo.

We will find out soon enough, but i think he should be in a better situation here having a more defined and role with established linemate chemistry.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
I can honestly say (as an original Pens fan) I am glad McCann is in Seattle. Better situation for him and probably Sprong as well.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
I can honestly say (as an original Pens fan) I am glad McCann is in Seattle. Better situation for him and probably Sprong as well.
Agreed. Sullivan was the issue with both players. He loathed Sprong. And now Hextall has f***ed everything up. Things didn't have to go like this, they could have been competitive for maybe three more years before the wheels fell off, but nope, not now.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
To be fair, McCann only played 3 games as a 22 and 23 years old.

IIRC from previous discussions, in that last series McCann was deployed differently after they acquired Carter, but he still had pretty good metrics. He just did not put up points.

Not producing when your role and your linemates are changed right before the playoffs is probably to be expected, but continuing to have solid metrics but just not putting up points in that situation is actually a pretty good sign, all things considered, imo.

We will find out soon enough, but i think he should be in a better situation here having a more defined and role with established linemate chemistry.
McCann played 12 playoff games for the Pens between 2019 and 2021. He scored no goals and totaled three assists. Given his regular season production, this was a marked drop-off, but the same applied to most Penguins. A hot Carey Price during the Covid bubble and Barry Trotz were bad matchups for Pittsburgh.

topcatone

Jun 6, 2016
Hard to pick a most valuable player this year for the Kraken, as they have such a balanced attack and scoring on all the lines. I would not want to meet Seattle in the first round. I won't even try to pick favorites. Here are the players that I thought made a special difference for the team: McCann, Eberle (the heart and soul of the team IMHO, and I bet a good locker room influence). Beniers, Dunn, Larsson (rock of defense), Sprong (fast and great shooter, although some turnovers). Unexpected surprise: Tolvanen. Hustle: Tanev and Donoto. Grubs has also played very well lately. He is a top-notch goalie WHEN he is not hurt. Jones, lets in some softies, but without his play when Grubs was hurt we wouldn't be in the playoffs. He has been to the cup twice, so probably a good locker room voice as well. Will mix it up with anyone: Gourde, Tanev.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Agreed. Sullivan was the issue with both players. He loathed Sprong. And now Hextall has f***ed everything up. Things didn't have to go like this, they could have been competitive for maybe three more years before the wheels fell off, but nope, not now.
Totally agree. If Sullivan stays I almost think they should go Into total rebuild. Sell off their assets and start the rebuild. Crosby might be better off elsewhere. Management along with Bylsma and now Sullivan have soured me on the Pens (I hate to say).

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
McCann played 12 playoff games for the Pens between 2019 and 2021. He scored no goals and totaled three assists. Given his regular season production, this was a marked drop-off, but the same applied to most Penguins. A hot Carey Price during the Covid bubble and Barry Trotz were bad matchups for Pittsburgh.

This is what I was talking about, looking at that narrative out of context is the problem, imo.

22 year old McCann plays 3 playoff games and scores 1 point.
23 year olf McCann plays 3 playoff games and scores 1 point.

Penguins had so many elite top 5 draft picks that fans had expectations of first round talent that was unrealistic, comparing the development curve of top 10 draft talent to guys taken in the mid 20s is apples to oranges.

Personally, I hope late first round draft picks are producing in the post seaspon at age 22 in the AHL.

24 is about the year that most non-elite forwards start to figure it out and the production begins to translate to the post-season, but in McCann's 24 y.o. season he had brand new linemates after the TDL and had a reduced PP role. 1 point in 6 games is disappointing, but he was only getting third line minutes and he still had good metrics. Giving up on him after that post-season was obviously a mistake.

Reactions: Kat Predator

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
This is what I was talking about, looking at that narrative out of context is the problem, imo.

22 year old McCann plays 3 playoff games and scores 1 point.
23 year olf McCann plays 3 playoff games and scores 1 point.

Penguins had so many elite top 5 draft picks that fans had expectations of first round talent that was unrealistic, comparing the development curve of top 10 draft talent to guys taken in the mid 20s is apples to oranges.

Personally, I hope late first round draft picks are producing in the post seaspon at age 22 in the AHL.

24 is about the year that most non-elite forwards start to figure it out and the production begins to translate to the post-season, but in McCann's 24 y.o. season he had brand new linemates after the TDL and had a reduced PP role. 1 point in 6 games is disappointing, but he was only getting third line minutes and he still had good metrics. Giving up on him after that post-season was obviously a mistake.
It wasn't clear what your point about his age was.

Recall my position, hoping for a strong post-season for McCann this time around. I feel for the kid. He copped up to being immature and making poor decisions when the Canucks quickly gave up on him. But the dude was only 19, no longer the star of juniors, and mired in what would prove to be a dysfunctional organization. Of course he was immature. His quick tenure in Florida, much like Pittsburgh trading him was due to many reasons.

McCann did kind of disappear in the playoffs, he didn't resemble the reg season player. I don't say that based on expectations after the drafting of Mario, Jagr, Fleury, Crosby and Malkin. Maybe your better analogy would have been Pens fans being spoiled by the more recent successes of Guentzel, Rust and Sheary (two 3rd rounders and one undrafted) when they killed it as youngsters just a couple years prior?

Penguins didn't "give up" on McCann; rather, they faced some tough decisions and basically bungled the expansion draft. Yes McCann was moved pre ED, but the Penguins had several constraints and it all conspired poorly, mistakenly protecting Carter based on a small data set and Sullivan's affinity for geezers, and basically getting totally outplayed by the Kraken who were delighted to grab Turbo. It came down to the Pens preferring the C depth provided by Blueger, who the Kraken would definitely have picked if exposed, to McCann, and feeling that Seattle would be scared away by Tanev's $3.5MM contract and injury histrory. Pens knew McCann would be snatched in the ED, so they got some value in the trade with the Leafs. Had there not been an ED, McCann would still be a Penguin, and the Pens would be a better team because of it. There were a lot of miscues there and are among many very good reasons why Ron Hextall will be unemployed in the next month.

Reactions: majormajor

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
With most teams having 2 games left, we're currently looking at Colorado for the first round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad