OT: All things related to cooking

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
Any oriental market will have it. I don't know what you have in the west end, you might have to go downtown. I shop a lot at Sun Wah on King St. Note that mirin is salted so keep that in mind for your seasoning.

Edit: My Superstore on Bison Dr has it in their international foods aisle, but there is a large oriental population in that area. Don't know if yours would have it.
Yeah, I checked out the local Superstore, No Frills, Walmart, Sobeys etc. and no go. I suspect I'll have to find an oriental market.

m.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Yeah, I checked out the local Superstore, No Frills, Walmart, Sobeys etc. and no go. I suspect I'll have to find an oriental market.

m.
Another option is to go to your local LC and pick up a bottle of cheap Gekkeikan sake. Mirin is sweeter so you would need to add some sugar. Bonus: you can drink what you don't use in your recipe. :nod:

TheDeuce

Feb 22, 2009
Another option is to go to your local LC and pick up a bottle of cheap Gekkeikan sake. Mirin is sweeter so you would need to add some sugar. Bonus: you can drink what you don't use in your recipe. :nod:
I would have to test it first toe be sure of its quality. Since it has to marinade for a few hours I guesh I'll shtart now. Bettir make shure itsh of the highest kwality so I'd bettir tesht it again. Sheemsh goods. Besht be shoore and tessht it again. Geez, I love all you guys show much. I meanit Imbeingserioiush. Now imbingsherioush.

I forghot why im in the tikchen.

m.

• Haha
Reactions: nobody imp0rtant
Nov 24, 2006

m.
Mirin is somewhat sweet. If you have rice vinegar on hand, it's a good substitute, but you need to counteract the tartness with some sugar.

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg
Any oriental market will have it. I don't know what you have in the west end, you might have to go downtown. I shop a lot at Sun Wah on King St. Note that mirin is salted so keep that in mind for your seasoning.

Edit: My Superstore on Bison Dr has it in their international foods aisle, but there is a large oriental population in that area. Don't know if yours would have it.
Need to be careful, here. The stuff that you'll find in a grocery store is a Mirin style "condiment" - it will have salt added and will have a lower alcohol content. Personally, I'd go with sake and just add a little sugar.

TheDeuce

Feb 22, 2009
Mirin is somewhat sweet. If you have rice vinegar on hand, it's a good substitute, but you need to counteract the tartness with some sugar.
Need to be careful, here. The stuff that you'll find in a grocery store is a Mirin style "condiment" - it will have salt added and will have a lower alcohol content. Personally, I'd go with sake and just add a little sugar.

Yeah, the DinnerThenDessert website I got the recipe from suggests replacing mirin with white vinegar or dry white wine, adding 1/2 tsp sugar per tablespoon of wine. That seems like an awfully high ratio of sugar to wine / vinegar though. I grabbed some sake at the LC and will have to do some trial and error sampling. See my earlier post about sampling said sake.

m.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Yeah, the DinnerThenDessert website I got the recipe from suggests replacing mirin with white vinegar or dry white wine, adding 1/2 tsp sugar per tablespoon of wine. That seems like an awfully high ratio of sugar to wine / vinegar though. I grabbed some sake at the LC and will have to do some trial and error sampling. See my earlier post about sampling said sake.

m.
With that much sugar, the ribs could be the dessert. :laugh: Do let us know how they turned out. And as always, pics are welcome.

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg

m.
If you send me the recipe I’ll take a look and tell you what I would do.

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg
Pretty sure this is it.

If that’s the case, I would simply substitute sake with no other modifications. There’s already a ton of sugar in the recipe - any additional sweetness which might be provided by the very small amount of mirin in the recipe would be negligible. Sake is just the ticket.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
If that’s the case, I would simply substitute sake with no other modifications. There’s already a ton of sugar in the recipe - any additional sweetness which might be provided by the very small amount of mirin in the recipe would be negligible. Sake is just the ticket.
Personally, I would just keep the sake for myself and say, sucks to be you, ribs. :nod:

• Haha
Reactions: TheDeuce and imec

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg
Further… need to watch that meat like a hawk - that sugar will burn in a heartbeat. Particularly if you’re using a grill/bbq.

Here’s some boneless ones I did in 2020 as the centerpiece of a Korean themed dinner. You can see they started to burn.

1F024713-DFFF-4433-927D-DA6B29B060DF.jpeg

TheDeuce

Feb 22, 2009
With that much sugar, the ribs could be the dessert. :laugh: Do let us know how they turned out. And as always, pics are welcome.
Ribs pic.jpg

They didn't burn in the least and had a great flavour but we found them to be a bit tough. I also should have trimmed more of the fat off.

Live and learn. Trying to decide if I should do a copycat Cheesecake Factory Pasta Da Vinci for Valentines dinner - or maybe a truffled garlic chicken farfalle. Decisions decisions.

m.

TheDeuce

Feb 22, 2009
View attachment 819683

They didn't burn in the least and had a great flavour but we found them to be a bit tough. I also should have trimmed more of the fat off.

Live and learn. Trying to decide if I should do a copycat Cheesecake Factory Pasta Da Vinci for Valentines dinner - or maybe a truffled garlic chicken farfalle. Decisions decisions.

m.
And after consulting with the wife we're doing creamy chicken marsala. The kids love this dish - I found the recipe on the delsh website.

It's funny - one benefit of the whole covid experience is that, since we had to stay at home, I discovered my love of cooking and trying new recipes.

m.

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg
View attachment 819683

m.
Great job! They look like they’re cut to thick for this preparation - accounts for the tough texture.

Reactions: TheDeuce

TheDeuce

Feb 22, 2009
With my wife, I have to settle for the McRib
Hey, I was going to go back on Atkins starting in February but then they brought back the McRib! I don't do McDonalds very often - when we get it for our kids I'm usually scouring the fridge for pretty much anything else. But I rejoiced when they brought back the McRib. The ten or so years it's been since it was last in Winnipeg bordered on the abusive.

For an extra $1.49 or so you can get a double McRib. Money well spent.

m.

• Love
Reactions: imec

TheDeuce

Feb 22, 2009
I'm doing oven baked chicken wings for dinner tonight and found this recipe:

It calls for the wings to be tossed in baking powder and salt rather than flour like most recipes. Thoughts? Have any of you try using baking powder to coat chicken wings? Would they be as great as the recipe author suggests?

m.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
I'm doing oven baked chicken wings for dinner tonight and found this recipe:

It calls for the wings to be tossed in baking powder and salt rather than flour like most recipes. Thoughts? Have any of you try using baking powder to coat chicken wings? Would they be as great as the recipe author suggests?

m.
I've never tried it and I'm a terrible cook and the last person you should take advice from, but....

My older sister married a guy who cooks and he uses baking powder when he does his chicken. Really good chicken, too, like out of a deep fryer. The one big caution is to make sure your powder does NOT contain aluminum. They always used Rumford Baking Powder because apparently other powder brands leave you with a bitter tasting chicken.

Reactions: TheDeuce

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad