User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Mahalo …….

1695506722486.jpeg

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Took advantage of the great weather to grill some Brats. Served em with grilled onions, aged cheddar, bacon and Hatch Chile salsa. Potato Salad and Cole Slaw.
View attachment 746597
Where do you get your brats? I always get mine from Portage Meat and Sausage Deli. It's run by a nice German lady and I like to give her as much business as possible. Did you get the Hatch chilis locally?

• Love
Reactions: imec

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg
Where do you get your brats? I always get mine from Portage Meat and Sausage Deli. It's run by a nice German lady and I like to give her as much business as possible. Did you get the Hatch chilis locally?
I picked these up at Costco on my last trip to the US - they're very good and cheap as chips. My first choice here in town would also be Portage Meat and Sausage (I love their weisswurst, too. used to also get wonderful lean ground to make steak tartare there but not sure if they still make it). The Hatch Chile Salsa is from Trader Joes - I've never seen Hatch peppers locally.

Edit: Millers makes a not bad Brat, too.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Tired of plain old gringo tacos? Give these gringo Crunchwraps a go!

View attachment 753424View attachment 753425View attachment 753426

I swear I can hear the old Kraft recipe commercial voice over...

... now place 1 pound of Kraft Velveeta Original Processed Cheese into a sauce pan to melt, then pour over the... :laugh:

Gotta say I've become a fan of Grimm's Flour and Corn tortillas. Plain flour ones just don't do it for me anymore. I like to make my own chili powder blends. The current one has ancho, chipotle, pasilla, guajillo and arbol powders that I ordered on Amazon. Keep it in the freezer as it's too hot for my wife (it's really not that hot, she's just a wimp), so it only gets used when making stuff for myself.

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg
I swear I can hear the old Kraft recipe commercial voice over...

... now place 1 pound of Kraft Velveeta Original Processed Cheese into a sauce pan to melt, then pour over the... :laugh:

Gotta say I've become a fan of Grimm's Flour and Corn tortillas. Plain flour ones just don't do it for me anymore. I like to make my own chili powder blends. The current one has ancho, chipotle, pasilla, guajillo and arbol powders that I ordered on Amazon. Keep it in the freezer as it's too hot for my wife (it's really not that hot, she's just a wimp), so it only gets used when making stuff for myself.
Making your own chili powder certainly results in a superior product. You may also want to try soaking whole dried chiles of the varieties your mention then blitzing them in a blender or small food processor. I usually stock up on them on trips to the US or Mexico but they are available from several sources here in town, my most recent discovery being a fascinating little place on south Pembina, A1 Mini Market - they sell both Latin as well as Asian products (owners are of mixed ancestry, I believe).

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Making your own chili powder certainly results in a superior product. You may also want to try soaking whole dried chiles of the varieties your mention then blitzing them in a blender or small food processor. I usually stock up on them on trips to the US or Mexico but they are available from several sources here in town, my most recent discovery being a fascinating little place on south Pembina, A1 Mini Market - they sell both Latin as well as Asian products (owners are of mixed ancestry, I believe).
I tried doing it once with whole dried chilis. The chili powder came out more like chili... crumbles. I'll leave the pulverizing to the pros. :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: imec

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Coelacanth Shrimp Scampi

- 1.0 kg of supporating coelacanth fresh shrimp meat, husked and deveined
- 3 cloves of garlic
- handful of parsley
- 1 tbsp of pepper flakes
- 3 tbsp mix of butter and olive admixture
- salt and pepper
- 0.5 kg of cooked (al dente) pasta - whatever you fancy
- half a lemon for squeezin'

Preparation

- kill coelacanth, be very careful of barbed pectorals
Heat the pot over medium heat.
Melt the butter in the pot.
Cook the garlic until it starts to brown.
Add the shrimp, salt, and pepper, cooking until shrimp is pink all the way through.
Add the lemon juice, chili flakes, and parsley.
Add the spaghetti, and toss until evenly coated.

Gather spousal equivalent and optional children. EZ recipe and tasty too.

Stage 1 - post coelacanth slaughter

1st stage.jpg

Stage 2 - anticipation

stage 2.jpg

Stage 3 - et voila
stage 3.jpg

Last edited:

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg
Came across a cool idea on the interwebz and it was a definite winner for me. I coated this fish (Lingcod purchased through the Skipper Otto member supported fishery - superb fish, btw) in instant mashed potato powder and shallow fried it in a blend of butter and canola oil. Comes out super crisp and tasty as well! I served with a creamy, cheesy orzo with cauliflower and asparagus tips and a side of green beans.

(this was 600gm of fish. Dredge in flour, then in 3 beaten eggs, then in the mashed potato powder, then the eggs again then the powder again. I used Idahoan brand Roasted Garlic Mashed. Heat a 1/4" deep, 50/50 blend of butter and canola in a non-stick skillet, fry for 2-3 minutes on one side - keep an eye on the colour, it can burn quickly - then turn the fish over and place the pan in a 350degree oven for another 2-3 minutes. Drain on paper towels or a wire rack.)
A886620C-E591-4464-88CA-F34A0E3F7336_1_201_a.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad