OT: All things related to cooking

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I don't recall us having a thread on cooking, as a middle aged man I've really started to get into cooking, making homemade jerky and sausages, etc. I figured we could have a thread to discuss favorite recipes of all types, what's people cooking special this week or weekend, etc. Pictures are welcomed of course.

Today I'm making homemade jerky, two types (1lbs of each), hickory & original flavors. I've also made cracked pepper with garlic jerky, also tasty.

What's your favorite things to cook or handy cooking tools/gadgets? I love my Dutch Oven, I love it and make so much in it.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't recall us having a thread on cooking, as a middle aged man I've really started to get into cooking, making homemade jerky and sausages, etc. I figured we could have a thread to discuss favorite recipes of all types, what's people cooking special this week or weekend, etc. Pictures are welcomed of course.

Today I'm making homemade jerky, two types (1lbs of each), hickory & original flavors. I've also made cracked pepper with garlic jerky, also tasty.

What's your favorite things to cook or handy cooking tools/gadgets? I love my Dutch Oven, I love it and make so much in it.
When I saw the thread title I had a good chuckle. Looks like the mod needs a break from the hockey talk. Trading recipes seems a little safer then talking trades :laugh:

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Winnipeg Winter Steak a la Kanadalainen's youngest offspring

~ 4cm Tenderloin steaks over high natural gas flame, outside at -18*C. Buy 'em, and fork them over to youngest offspring.

- Brush snow off BBQ. Flame on. Relinquish all control to the kid line.

- Heat grill hard for 10 min.

- Prep meat by seasoning with whatever you've got

Sear, then give about 4 min per side for a medium rare. 45 min prior, cook some other stuff high in carbohydrates to go with all this saturated fat and delicious semi-denatured protein. Potatoes work, mashed. Some green stuff is also a good plan.

rare-rare-steak.gif

- eat, while watching the Rangers get smashed and slowly ground to dust. 80 inch smart TV is recommended, so that you can see the tears coursing down Shesterkin's face, and watch Gallant stare agast/dumbfounded/in befuddlement with each Jets' goal.

(6 hours prior to eating, ingest something to control liver-borne HMG Co-A reductase to modulate yer plasma LDL conc).

The End

Up next - cabbage rolls a la somebody's Grandma.

grandmas-cabbage-rolls-paleo-low-carb-gluten-free-dairy-free-2-of-4.jpg

Last edited:

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg

Instant Pot, sous vide stick, air-fryer, dutch oven, kitchenaid stand mixer, and my pizza steel. I love kitchen stuff.
I love jerky, never tried making it before but I may give it a try now that you mention it.

Reactions: RabidOne and imec

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
I always wanted to try cooking a pizza on the barbecue and never done it...........anyone with experience doing that?
Yes I have, putting a pizza stone on the grill. I don't really like cooking pizza directly on the grill, but BBQ's can get much hotter than home ovens can. So if you can crank that sucker up to 600-700 degrees and then pre-heat your stone, you can get close to pizza-oven-like results.

Reactions: imec

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Yes I have, putting a pizza stone on the grill. I don't really like cooking pizza directly on the grill, but BBQ's can get much hotter than home ovens can. So if you can crank that sucker up to 600-700 degrees and then pre-heat your stone, you can get close to pizza-oven-like results.

Interesting, so getting a pizza stone is the key? Plus having a barbecue with enough BTU's to get hot enough?

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I don't do a whole lot of real cooking except for when I'm with my gf but I have been making chili every couple weeks lately. Really really simple but super good. I just brown a pound of lean ground, drain most of the grease and throw in a can of vegetarian brown beans, a can of the "chili kidney" beans that have onion and garlic in them already, a can of chopped tomato w/green chilis in it, and a can of tomato soup. Then I chop up a zucchini and dump that in. Toss in some spicy shit of your choosing (I've been using montreal steak spice since I keep forgetting to pick up chili powder lol) and let it bubble over medium heat for a bit then simmer over low heat for an hour or so. Nothing to it! But man, dump a couple ladles on some mashed potatoes and it's so good! One of my comfort foods...

Reactions: imec

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I don't do a whole lot of real cooking except for when I'm with my gf but I have been making chili every couple weeks lately. Really really simple but super good. I just brown a pound of lean ground, drain most of the grease and throw in a can of vegetarian brown beans, a can of the "chili kidney" beans that have onion and garlic in them already, a can of chopped tomato w/green chilis in it, and a can of tomato soup. Then I chop up a zucchini and dump that in. Toss in some spicy shit of your choosing (I've been using montreal steak spice since I keep forgetting to pick up chili powder lol) and let it bubble over medium heat for a bit then simmer over low heat for an hour or so. Nothing to it! But man, dump a couple ladles on some mashed potatoes and it's so good! One of my comfort foods...

Never tried zucchini in my chili or Montreal streak spice (which I have always). Interesting

Zucchini not go to mush?

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Interesting, so getting a pizza stone is the key? Plus having a barbecue with enough BTU's to get hot enough?
Indeed, you can use a stone or a steel. Steels are like 4x as expensive, but steels retain and transfer heat much better than stones do. I have both; if you have a good BBQ that can get hot enough I would go with a stone. If you just want to make great pizza in your home oven with a nice char on the bottom, get a steel. There's a small Altona business that makes them; and is where I got mine:

Steels

Reactions: Hunter368 and imec

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg
Indeed, you can use a stone or a steel. Steels are like 4x as expensive, but steels retain and transfer heat much better than stones do. I have both; if you have a good BBQ that can get hot enough I would go with a stone. If you just want to make great pizza in your home oven with a nice char on the bottom, get a steel. There's a small Altona business that makes them; and is where I got mine:

Steels
Interested in the details of the steel supplier as my sheets of stone are both broken. Thanks

Reactions: Hunter368

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Never tried zucchini in my chili or Montreal streak spice (which I have always). Interesting

Zucchini not go to mush?

not really. I mean I like my zucchini pretty soft anyway, But the zucchini is really just an odd thing I toss in because I've really grown to like zucchini the past couple years. The steak spice works well...given that you're getting onion and garlic and chili peppers in the canned stuff already. It really ends up being sort of a stew...pretty thick and meaty.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
not really. I mean I like my zucchini pretty soft anyway, But the zucchini is really just an odd thing I toss in because I've really grown to like zucchini the past couple years. The steak spice works well...given that you're getting onion and garlic and chili peppers in the canned stuff already. It really ends up being sort of a stew...pretty thick and meaty.

Cool

Some people like their chili very meaty, I like mine a bit less meaty but still meat in it......due to digestion issues. I might try that next time. thx

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
I always wanted to try cooking a pizza on the barbecue and never done it...........anyone with experience doing that?
Yes, we started with a pizza stone on the bbq. Works well. Then Instagram hit and my wife had to get the Pizza stone oven insert for the bbq. 5 minutes for my bbq. The only issue is you have to turn the pizza every 1 and a half or so. But the crust is perfect.

Reactions: Hunter368

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
Since the topic is cooking, we had a Cacio Pepe on the weekend that was fantastic.
My wife makes a Gremulata that she always pairs with Salmon that's excellent. The Cacio Pepe put me in mind of that because its so simple.

We also make a short rib recipe in the Instapot that is Cayenne Bourbon based. Absolutely amazing.

Since chili was brought up, we manage to get moose every once in a while and Moose makes amazing chili.

Does anyone make the Fat Burger/Juniors chili sauce? Or is it just those of us less fortunates who can't just pop over to Georges to get a burger. Took my son there the last time we were in Winnipeg and he loved it. I make it and freeze it into small batches.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Done that. Its no biggy, but would reccommend getting the grill very clean eg, free of old carbon deposits and lightly oil it prior to chucking on the pie. I like to use propane vs natural gas, higher btu burn.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Done that. Its no biggy, but would reccommend getting the grill very clean eg, free of old carbon deposits and lightly oil it prior to chucking on the pie. I like to use propane vs natural gas, higher btu burn.

Does pizza taste better on the the barbecue compared to the oven?

Reactions: kanadalainen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad