All Things Coronavirus Covid-19 - Part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Well this clearly isn’t as deadly as initially feared and it’s of almost no risk to anyone that isn’t very elderly or very unhealthy. Not many outliers.

Folks who were terrified even just a month ago should be doing backflips it’s not that bad. Not doubling down on restrictions But by all means have your day ruined by a healthy 30 year old shopping without a mask.

I’ve been in Florida almost 3 weeks everyone is fine. Almost no masks. No one has coughed. Someone on our boat had it a few weeks ago and was fine another persons dad had it and was fine just 3 days of flu symptoms. After the weekend in Tompa Brady I’m ending the trip in Orlando. It’s SAD to drive by all this fun stuff and know it’s never coming back and will go bust. There are some huge hotels. It’s not my cup of tea theme parks but visiting here is like going to a Bruins game for many.

Cant we just have the stuff we like back without masks and tons of rules all that. People uncomfortable can stay home or wear a mask if it makes them feel better. This won’t completely go away the flu hasn’t in 100 years. End the sillyness we can’t just hide from it.

Stuff we like? Sure I like being on this side of the grass.
I like seeing my mom still with me for whatever time I have.
I like knowing that many people are putting others over themselves.
I like that first responders and health care workers have put politics aside and humanity in the forefront.
I like that whiny self centered center of the universe types will be revealed for what they truly are and remembered for it.
What goes around comes around.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
3 million people every year die in the US no one cares about any of them unless they know them or are famous.

COVID has to run our lives forever and make us live with fewer rights? Mass poverty and the subsequent fallout shouldn’t be considered?

I had a job where my boss moved due to his wife getting hired in another city and a long commute changed to WFH. It was a lucky break. But remember that happened when the world was fully open I don’t want to disparage anyone right now with the world turned upside down. But I can see wanting to keep a perk or two.

Even the mask stuff some folks love rules and love following them and telling others to follow them. This is a moral narcissists wet dream. Why stop at supermarkets for masks (understandable) and make them required at parks or beaches or bars.

Anyways I’m sorry for anyone I’ve offended. We haven’t dealt with this for more than a couple months. Hopefully things get better quickly in all regards now it’s summer and Memorial Day.
First it was “the seasonal flu killed more and we don’t socially distance or wear masks to stop it”
Then it was “auto accidents kill more and we don’t socially distance to stop it”
Then it was “the Hong Kong flu killed more and we didn’t socially distance or wear masks to stop it”
Now it’s “all other deaths combined kill more and we don’t care so why should we bear socially distance and wear masks to stop it”
What’s next?

Last edited:

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
The amazing thing to me this morning is how simple the job was for leadership. Build up the tests for everyone and capacity to contact trace.

The country loves to rally around the flag and around leadership in crises - it can turn fools like George W and snakes like Giuliani and Cuomo into figures of pride - it turns wet cornflakes like Governor Baker into a model of fortitude. All you have to do is get to work, and speak even a little about the hard truth.

The only think you can’t do is give up. The President has and thousands are dying every week because of it.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Well this clearly isn’t as deadly as initially feared and it’s of almost no risk to anyone that isn’t very elderly or very unhealthy. Not many outliers.

Folks who were terrified even just a month ago should be doing backflips it’s not that bad. Not doubling down on restrictions But by all means have your day ruined by a healthy 30 year old shopping without a mask.

I’ve been in Florida almost 3 weeks everyone is fine. Almost no masks. No one has coughed. Someone on our boat had it a few weeks ago and was fine another persons dad had it and was fine just 3 days of flu symptoms. After the weekend in Tompa Brady I’m ending the trip in Orlando. It’s SAD to drive by all this fun stuff and know it’s never coming back and will go bust. There are some huge hotels. It’s not my cup of tea theme parks but visiting here is like going to a Bruins game for many.

Cant we just have the stuff we like back without masks and tons of rules all that. People uncomfortable can stay home or wear a mask if it makes them feel better. This won’t completely go away the flu hasn’t in 100 years. End the sillyness we can’t just hide from it.

There's no one blinder than those who choose not to see.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
The amazing thing to me this morning is how simple the job was for leadership. Build up the tests for everyone and capacity to contact trace.

The country loves to rally around the flag and around leadership in crises - it can turn fools like George W and snakes like Giuliani and Cuomo into figures of pride - it turns wet cornflakes like Governor Baker into a model of fortitude. All you have to do is get to work, and speak even a little about the hard truth.

The only think you can’t do is give up. The President has and thousands are dying every week because of it.

yup. some of the response from people who love hockey is especially surprising. a sport where
me-first is not part of the fabric. those players are weeded out quickly. the victim card is not acceptable.
what would people say if big Z decided not to play because his jaw hurt? or if he blamed
the doctors for not helping him more? or the previous captain didn't do this, so why should i?
i've had enough of the whining. just sack up and do the job. period.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I saw this shared on Facebook. It was written by a woman named Jacqueline Kamel about the NYT front page.

When I saw an image of this front page on the internet, I thought it was from 100 years ago.
And then I got my copy.
Every year on the date, the 3,000 victims of September 11th are read aloud at the World Trade Center.
It takes 3 hours.
If we were to read the names of each person who has died of Covid-19 so far, it would take over 4 days, without stopping.
It would cover each Sunday issue for over the next two years.
Today I read 1% of those names.
Each of those names was allowed half a sentence to describe them.
Half a sentence for a lifetime on the front page of The New York Times.
I picked out some of my favorites:
-“We called him the grand Poobah”
-her backyard birds ate right from her hand
-could fix almost anything
-first black woman to graduate Harvard Law school
-quick with his fists in the ring
-her will was indomitable
-he could spit a watermelon seed halfway across a double lot
-agent who turned on the CIA
-her favorite quote was ‘I am as good as you are, and as bad as I am’
-cancer survivor who lived as a deacon
-nothing delighted him more than picking up the bill
-saved 56 Jewish families from the Gestapo
-could be a real jokester
-thought it was important to know a person’s life story
-maestro of a steel-pan band
-saw friends at their worst and made them their best
-engineer behind the first 200mph stock car
-discovered his true calling when he started driving a school bus
-made the best Baklava ever
-emergency room doctor who died in his husband’s arms
-leader in integrating schools
-architect behind Boston’s City Hall
-shared his produce with food banks and neighbors
-family believed she would have lived the traditional Navajo lifespan of 102 years.
-loved his wife and said ‘yes dear’ a lot
-mother to a generation of AIDS patients
-worked long hard hours and still made time for everyone
-walked across the Golden Gate Bridge on opening day
-liked his bacon and hash browns crispy
-more adept than many knew
-would stay awake the whole night shift because she didn’t want anyone to die alone
-freed from life in prison
-her last words were ‘thank you’
Seven small towns I thought no one else had heard of.
Six women who reminded me of my mother.
Five people my age.
Four holocaust survivors.
Three 9/11 responders.
Two couples who died together.
One person I’ve met.
And a 5 year old girl.
They didn't get a funeral.
They didn't get to say goodbye.
I've been in my apartment for 71 days. I've cried four times.
Three of those times, was while I read this.
Have fun at your barbecue.

——————

Now, my thoughts.

Yes, many of us are staring to venture out and see limited amounts of friends and family at safe distances.

Yes, the point was to flatten the curve as to not overwhelm the health care system, not stay inside until there’s a vaccine. We came together and successfully did that - for now. The more people gather in large groups with no regard for others, the better chance there is to have it spike again. We’re not out of the woods yet, and won’t be for a long time.

If people could be trusted to not be idiots and be responsible, things WOULD start opening up again. Beaches are closed, pools are closed, bars are closed, restaurants are closed not because the government is trying to take away our rights but because we can’t be trusted with the privilege of “normalcy” during this pandemic.

you want to blame someone? Blame the idiots at Lake of the Ozarks and the Florida beaches that BigGoalBrad is so proud to report back on.

do your part. It’s temporary. If we could all act like adults instead of entitled brats maybe we could be trusted with the privilege of making our own choices.

Don’t blame the government for your favorite beach, pool, or restaurant being closed, blame your fellow citizens.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I also find it equally heartbreaking and infuriating that here we are on Memorial Day and a generation of those that gave the most are now looked upon as expendable statistics.

Now Wally, “they are gonna die within 2 years anyway”

f***ing Christ. The nerve of some. The selfishness of some.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
I also find it equally heartbreaking and infuriating that here we are on Memorial Day and a generation of those that gave the most are now looked upon as expendable statistics.

It’s disgusting to see those comments. It’s demoralizing as someone who has worked in LTC to think that the ones I’ve cared for over the years are viewed by some as expendable because they’ve “lived their lives.”

I’ve cared for a Holocaust survivor who watched as they killed her brother and mother in Auchswitz. A Sherman tank commander who knowingly went into each battle knowing it would cost 6 Sherman tanks to every German Tiger they brought down. A PBY flying boat mechanic that worked in the South Pacific who swore to me he wasn’t important to the war effort. Tell that to people floating in shark infested waters Praying for the sight of one of these planes. A nurse on a hospital ship taking care of the sick and wounded. A freedom fighter who was a POW and held in captivity at Krakow. A bombardier on a B-17 who had to stave of frost bite and anti-aircraft shells. A Soviet engineer who had to choose between forcibly working for the Soviets or capture and torture from the Germans. A woman that saw her entire city obliterated by bombing night raids at the age of 7.

If that wasn’t enough the people who stayed home had it no better. Mandatory curfews and blackouts. Food, clothes, cars, everything was sent to the military first and people rationed what they could to help the war effort.

All of these people had one thing in common. None of them complained for one second about the sacrifices they made. They did so for the common good.

So please forgive me when I roll my eyes at those who are dealing with the unimaginable plight of having to wear a piece of clothe on their face.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
But I’ve been told by a noted expert those kids were gonna die within 2 years anyway so who cares. So this can’t be true, it’s impossible!

it only impacts the old!
He must be part of those doctors association in the USA that don't follow science and follow mostly Trump guidelines.

I posted a tweet yesterday about that...can't remember the acronym...something like aams... there's like 5k members.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Went and got my car washed and they are requiring customers to wear masks until they start your wash. Every employee is also wearing a mask. In addition, they are taking every customer's name, phone number and license plate for contact tracing purposes.

It is nice to be rid of the pollen but also know that a local business is back open and that they are being incredibly strict for everyone's safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia