All Things Coronavirus Covid-19 - Part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
It’s been explained to you about 1,000,000 times at this point

but hey you don’t see people coughing in Florida so whatever I guess! It’s not like the state is currently surging or manipulating data or anything. It’s not like it’s gonna put any hospitals around the country at capacity. Hasn’t done that anywhere else, right? Hasn’t put any stress at all on anybody on the front lines, right?

Galaxy brain stuff but it’s to be expected

Staggered reopenings depending on location with restrictions in place= great

swarming areas in giant masses with no precautions= f***ing selfish and irresponsible. And that’s a fact, not an opinion

You’re not Rosa Parks.

Last edited:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
It’s been explained to you about 1,000,000 times at this point

but hey you don’t see people coughing in Florida so whatever I guess! It’s not like the state is currently surging or manipulating data or anything. It’s not like it’s gonna put any hospitals around the country at capacity. Hasn’t done that anywhere else, right? Hasn’t put any stress at all on anybody on the front lines, right?

Galaxy brain stuff but it’s to be expected

Staggered reopenings depending on location with restrictions in place= great

swarming areas in giant masses with no precautions= f***ing selfish and irresponsible. And that’s a fact, not an opinion

I deleted the offensive last part no clue where that came from. Why use a loaded term like surging when 4 people died in the last 24 hours in a state known for elderly folks?

You want to keep restrictions at a supermarket fine even someone sick has to buy food. Everything else folks can chose to go or not go.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I deleted the offensive last part no clue where that came from. Why use a loaded term like surging when 4 people died in the last 24 hours in a state known for elderly folks?

You want to keep restrictions at a supermarket fine even someone sick has to buy food. Everything else folks can chose to go or not go.

You’re not a martyr because you have to wear a mask some places. You seem to think you are making some big sacrifice when in actuality you’re just doing the bare minimum for basic human decency

So again, you’re not Rosa Parks. You’re not being oppressed. You’re being asked to do the minimum and you’re endlessly crying about it. Kinda sad but it is what it is.

I’m also not gonna explain to you for the 1000th time about how doing what you want to do would collapse the nations healthcare because you just will not ever get it at this point. We’ve already seen what happened in New York. Plenty of people start dying that don’t fall into your “would’ve died in 2 years anyway” category.

We are careening towards 100,000 in less than 3 months. But everything is fine.

Last edited:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
You’re not a martyr because you have to wear a mask some places. You seem to think you are making some big sacrifice when in actuality you’re just doing the bare minimum for basic human decency

So again, you’re not Rosa Parks. You’re not being oppressed. You’re being asked to do the minimum and you’re endlessly crying about it. Kinda sad but it is what it is.

I’m also not gonna explain to you for the 1000th time about how doing what you want to do would collapse the nations healthcare system because you just will not ever get it at this point.

I conceded a supermarket is appropriate for a mask rule because it’s not really a choice to visit one. Of course noones a martyr. Recreational stuff is a choice and none of its fun in a mask.

I mean no one wanted this virus to come here from China. Why should we double down and live with extensive restrictions like the Chinese do.

A bar and a supermarket are the same thing?

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
3 million people every year die in the US no one cares about any of them unless they know them or are famous.

COVID has to run our lives forever and make us live with fewer rights? Mass poverty and the subsequent fallout shouldn’t be considered?

I had a job where my boss moved due to his wife getting hired in another city and a long commute changed to WFH. It was a lucky break. But remember that happened when the world was fully open I don’t want to disparage anyone right now with the world turned upside down. But I can see wanting to keep a perk or two.

Even the mask stuff some folks love rules and love following them and telling others to follow them. This is a moral narcissists wet dream. Why stop at supermarkets for masks (understandable) and make them required at parks or beaches or bars.

Anyways I’m sorry for anyone I’ve offended. We haven’t dealt with this for more than a couple months. Hopefully things get better quickly in all regards now it’s summer and Memorial Day.

Last edited:

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Trump Tweets and Golfs, but Makes No Mention of Virus’s Toll

WASHINGTON — As President Trump’s motorcade pulled into his golf club in Virginia on an overcast Sunday, a small group of protesters waited outside the entrance. One held up a sign.

“I care do U?” it read. “100,000 dead.”

Mr. Trump and his advisers have said that he does, but he has made scant effort to demonstrate it this Memorial Day weekend. He finally ordered flags lowered to half-staff at the White House only after being badgered to do so by his critics and otherwise took no public notice as the American death toll from the coronavirus pandemic approached a staggering 100,000.

While the country neared six digits of death, the president who repeatedly criticized his predecessor for golfing during a crisis spent the weekend on the links for the first time since March. When he was not zipping around on a cart, he was on social media embracing fringe conspiracy theories, amplifying messages from a racist and sexist Twitter account and lobbing playground insults at perceived enemies, including his own former attorney general.

This was a death toll that Mr. Trump once predicted would never be reached. In late February, he said there were only 15.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007

This guy is even worse than Trump...if that's even possible.
Only a matter of time before he joins other ex presidents of Brazil in jail.

Reactions: Maine Fan

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
3 million people every year die in the US no one cares about any of them unless they know them or are famous.

COVID has to run our lives forever and make us live with fewer rights? Mass poverty and the subsequent fallout shouldn’t be considered?

I had a job where my boss moved due to his wife getting hired in another city and a long commute changed to WFH. It was a lucky break. But remember that happened when the world was fully open I don’t want to disparage anyone right now with the world turned upside down. But I can see wanting to keep a perk or two.

Even the mask stuff some folks love rules and love following them and telling others to follow them. This is a moral narcissists wet dream. Why stop at supermarkets for masks (understandable) and make them required at parks or beaches or bars.

Anyways I’m sorry for anyone I’ve offended. We haven’t dealt with this for more than a couple months. Hopefully things get better quickly in all regards now it’s summer and Memorial Day.

Speaking about narcissistic....

I can’t understand people who can hold two opposing viewpoints and square that circle constantly.

A.- I want the country to open up because I’m tired of the lockdown and it’s affecting people financially.
B.- I will not follow the reopening rules because I will not be told what to do.

This isn’t about you. It’s about everyone else and the little things we can all do day in and day out so that EVERYONE can come out of their house and be safe. Which we should ALL have the right to do.

I can’t tell what’s more selfish? The fact that you won’t wear a mask because apparently You don’t like being told what to do. Or, the fact that you readily state even though you hate being told what to do, you’re telling those at risk to stay home so you don’t have to be inconvenienced.

These straw men “where will it end” arguments are also ridiculous. It’s exactly the excuse people use just to drive fear into the discussion but has little merit. What? I can’t drink before 21? Soon it will be 30, then 40, then every state will be another Utah!

It ends when we have a vaccine or we’ve found successful treatment. It ends when we have the supplies needed to put up a fight on the front lines. It ends when people stop whining about their civil liberties and start following some basic rules so we can ALL (see the pattern here?) return to some form of normalcy.

You give me one excuse to not wear a mask besides “I just don’t want to” that’s based on facts or science and I’ll fully support your decision. But this selfishness needs to end because it is costing people their lives.

aguineapig

Hey but look over here, the stock market.

From Ric Edelman this weekend; half of the companies in the S&P 500 have withdrawn their earnings forecasts and either have cut or eliminated dividends. Roughly half of the earnings of the S&P are gained through dividends. So if a company has no idea of earnings, which are what drives the stock price and cut their dividend or eliminate it how does the companies stock rise in value? If the anticipated recovery stalls what happens to stock prices then?

Reactions: JOKER 192

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Well this clearly isn’t as deadly as initially feared and it’s of almost no risk to anyone that isn’t very elderly or very unhealthy. Not many outliers.

Folks who were terrified even just a month ago should be doing backflips it’s not that bad. Not doubling down on restrictions But by all means have your day ruined by a healthy 30 year old shopping without a mask.

I’ve been in Florida almost 3 weeks everyone is fine. Almost no masks. No one has coughed. Someone on our boat had it a few weeks ago and was fine another persons dad had it and was fine just 3 days of flu symptoms. After the weekend in Tompa Brady I’m ending the trip in Orlando. It’s SAD to drive by all this fun stuff and know it’s never coming back and will go bust. There are some huge hotels. It’s not my cup of tea theme parks but visiting here is like going to a Bruins game for many.

Cant we just have the stuff we like back without masks and tons of rules all that. People uncomfortable can stay home or wear a mask if it makes them feel better. This won’t completely go away the flu hasn’t in 100 years. End the sillyness we can’t just hide from it.
I wish I had a dislike button for this.

This stopped being about us as individuals a long time ago. WE all need to be united in the common goal of suppressing this virus as much as possible until a vaccine is ready.

I've likely had this virus back in February and that was no damn picnic and I'd like to think I'm decently healthy. I've had a few close friends get sick and again, thank god they had it "mildly". I worry constantly about my brother in law who works in a plasma donation center who just had a worker come down with it. Thank god he, the rest of the staff and patients weren't exposed to him. I constantly worry he will bring it home to my sister and their pets. They say dogs aren't able to get it but they haven't said anything about birds and I worry for my feather nephew (yes, I know it is nuts to call him that but oh well). I also worry about my best friend's mom who works at one of the major hospitals in the city and who was being forced, along with her entire department minus the supervisors, to go into patient rooms even when having a documented pre-existing condition. Thankfully she blew the whistle and that practice stopped immediately.

I pray you never have to feel the anxiety, sadness and pain so many people are feeling.

Don't you dare trivialize the severity of the virus and the lasting impacts it will have on ALL of us and most importantly, to those families who lost loved ones because of the cavalier attitudes of people like YOU.

Get used to a new normal. Don't like it, that is on YOU and YOU alone.

EDIT: I am in no way trivializing other members experiences. I just want him to understand why his attitude towards the virus, the precautions and the new normal just isn't going to fly.

Last edited:

member 96824

From Ric Edelman this weekend; half of the companies in the S&P 500 have withdrawn their earnings forecasts and either have cut or eliminated dividends. Roughly half of the earnings of the S&P are gained through dividends. So if a company has no idea of earnings, which are what drives the stock price and cut their dividend or eliminate it how does the companies stock rise in value? If the anticipated recovery stalls what happens to stock prices then?

Let me preface this by saying anyone who tells you they have it figured out is full of shit. That being said, I have this figured out :)

Couple of different things at play here but the two big things to remember:
1. Stock “price” is just a midpoint between what buyers are offering to buy for and what sellers are willing to sell for. (Bids and Asks)
2. Indexes are just a number weighted by the components within them. Mostly by size.

The reason I bring up #1...when you look at the actions the Fed has taken to backstop the economy, it’s essentially eliminated interest rates and risk in the debt and cash markets. So investors who want return on their money can no longer get that in:
-Cash(via savings)
-Treasuries
-Quality corporate debt
-Quality municipal debt

So they can go one of two ways, they can slide down in the quality area and buy riskier debt or they can put that same money to work by investing in quality equities.

keep in mind the debt market is 3x the size of the equity market...So that’s a lot of inflow from people seeking returns. Someone comes in and wants to buy Amazon for example, they have to buy it from someone else. That person says “ok, but it has to be at X price” and bam the stock price just went up.

The reason I bring up #2 is because of above. Sure you can look at the S&P or the Nasdaq and say “the market is flat” or “the market is up” but that doesn’t tell the whole story. Stocks like Amazon, FB, Microsoft, etc. drive such a significant portion of the indexes because they are the largest pieces of it. So Amazon going up 21% in the last 3 months at 1.2T market cap has significantly more impact on the upside than Under Armour going down 45% in the same time frame at a 3.79B market cap and therefore the index performance looks better than a lot of the components within it.

There’s also the assumption of inflation long term which is bullish for equities.

Personally, I’m not as worried about recovery timeline in the short term, what I can’t figure out is if you’re paid a premium for the risk you take (equity ownership), but that risk evaporates via treasury and federal reserve backstopping, Long term doesn’t the risk premium evaporate too? I guess as long as there’s someone willing to buy your shares for more than you bought for it doesn’t really matter.

member 96824

Well this clearly isn’t as deadly as initially feared and it’s of almost no risk to anyone that isn’t very elderly or very unhealthy. Not many outliers.

Folks who were terrified even just a month ago should be doing backflips it’s not that bad. Not doubling down on restrictions But by all means have your day ruined by a healthy 30 year old shopping without a mask.

I’ve been in Florida almost 3 weeks everyone is fine. Almost no masks. No one has coughed. Someone on our boat had it a few weeks ago and was fine another persons dad had it and was fine just 3 days of flu symptoms. After the weekend in Tompa Brady I’m ending the trip in Orlando. It’s SAD to drive by all this fun stuff and know it’s never coming back and will go bust. There are some huge hotels. It’s not my cup of tea theme parks but visiting here is like going to a Bruins game for many.

Cant we just have the stuff we like back without masks and tons of rules all that. People uncomfortable can stay home or wear a mask if it makes them feel better. This won’t completely go away the flu hasn’t in 100 years. End the sillyness we can’t just hide from it.

People not comfortable wearing a mask can stay at home if it makes them feel better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad