OT: All Things Coronavirus Covid-19 - Part XI - MOD ADVISORY POST 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

blurbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Somerville, MA
Visit site
But people are, aren't they? If it's not a law to wear a mask, why are we talking about it?

And I would argue yes, people are alarmed at it. I know my kids are. I think a massive deviation from normal behavior would alarm any kid.

But in Somerville as of Wednesday it is the law.

(adding more)

Re: kids being alarmed by it. I know my brother's kids were concerned about masks, but their kindergarten teacher did a really good job of just bringing up the idea of masks very nonchalantly as a way of avoiding having to cough into your elbow.

Yes, these are weird times we're in, so why not do all we can to get out of this situation. We're talking about wearing a mask the few times you're outside in public.

Last edited:

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
If a person is expected to social distance, I think they are to be trusted to do so. Now if that person doesn't do a good job then shame on them, but if we are going to start anointing ourselves social judges based on what we THINK someone might or might not be able to do, that's a problem IMO.

If people are somehow walking around outside and actively WORRIED about contracting it from people on the road, then just stay far enough away and protect yourself. Or, don't go out. Clearly people walking and running are equally aware of the coronavirus.

I can 100% say with confidence, judging by Twitter/Facebook/people I hear from in person, they are not all equally aware of the seriousness of the coronavirus.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I fail to see the logic in wearing a mask while you're jogging or walking separate from others. Just another measure to alarm people and give others a chance to judge.

I invite you to come here to Manhattan (or go to any other large urban center) and attempt to practice social distancing consistently. Even if you are doing your best to keep your distance from others, it can be frankly impossible to do so in most places, such as the paths along the East River and Hudson River (many walkers, joggers, cyclists), in stores (especially those that are small/have narrow aisles) and on public transit (buses and subways because, you know, a lot of people still need to travel to work—they're essential workers). Wearing a mask is prudent, safe and considerate of the health of other people.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I can 100% say with confidence, judging by Twitter/Facebook/people I hear from in person, they are not all equally aware of the seriousness of the coronavirus.
Haha...well that's fair. Maybe even including our President.

I'll restate...I don't think it would be fair to assume that people who are walking, running, biking outside without masks are somehow unaware or underestimating coronavirus.

Reactions: Maine Fan

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I invite you to come here to Manhattan (or go to any other large urban center) and attempt to practice social distancing consistently. Even if you are doing your best to keep your distance from others, it can be frankly impossible to do so in most places, such as the paths along the East River and Hudson River (many walkers, joggers, cyclists), in stores (especially those that are small/have narrow aisles) and on public transit (buses and subways because, you know, a lot of people still need to travel to work—they're essential workers). Wearing mask is prudent, safe and considerate of the health of other people.

WTF....again I'll restate...if you are outside and unable to remain 6 feet away, then yeah, wear a mask. But if you are able to remain 6 feet away, which in many areas you ARE, then I don't see why it's anyone's job to care.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Just found out one of my best friends tested positive for this. He's in good spirits, and breathing is fine. Under self quarantine for the time being. Has a body rash and no sense of taste or smell, but said other than that he feels fine. Hoping it's a mild case and he's back on his feet soon.
Fingers crossed for a good outcome. Stay away from him !

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Gee Wally, do you know if blood test has been done to identify if C19 has mutation and if someone can have it more than once. All i read seem that nothing can prove or not this element.

From our end there isnt data yet. Just high demand for donations to those that have been sick but recovered.
Only that reports from Asia and Europe that claim people are getting it more than once.

Reactions: BRUINS since 1995

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
US total death rate spiked above coronavirus death count in early weeks of pandemic: report

The total death rate in the U.S. spiked above the coronavirus death count in the early weeks of the pandemic, The Washington Post reported Monday.
An analysis of federal data conducted by a team headed by the Yale School of Public Health found that the U.S. recorded 15,400 excess deaths between March 1 through April 4, almost twice the number attributed to the coronavirus. In that time period, 8,128 coronavirus fatalities were reported.
Excess deaths measure the difference between the number of deaths expected to occur without the pandemic and the number of actual deaths recorded by the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS). The center released data for the five weeks on Friday.

Reactions: Maine Fan and CDJ

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Just found out one of my best friends tested positive for this. He's in good spirits, and breathing is fine. Under self quarantine for the time being. Has a body rash and no sense of taste or smell, but said other than that he feels fine. Hoping it's a mild case and he's back on his feet soon.

He's lucky that he was able to be tested. My mom developed some symptoms a couple weeks ago, but her doctor didn't think she needed to be tested since she's "only" 65 and her symptoms were mild (fever under 100, tired, and a cough). It was weird because she hadn't really had outside human contact for a week and a half other than a curbside grocery pickup a couple days before she got sick, where she had a mask/gloves on for any interaction. Honestly, I don't even know if she had it because she was only sick for 48-72 hours, and has been fine for the rest of the two weeks that she's been quarantined in her room. The biggest concern was for my dad, who's got an underlying condition. He's going to be happy when she "gets out" tomorrow so he doesn't have to fend for himself anymore and provide all her meals.

TinyRivers

Jun 26, 2006
Nova Scotia
Haha...well that's fair. Maybe even including our President.

I'll restate...I don't think it would be fair to assume that people who are walking, running, biking outside without masks are somehow unaware or underestimating coronavirus.
I work in retail. We are this far into this and people are forgetting to, or underestimating the danger...This is still very much an issue. I feel from your posts you haven't been out in public. Is this correct, or are they just better at it where you are?

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
WTF....again I'll restate...if you are outside and unable to remain 6 feet away, then yeah, wear a mask. But if you are able to remain 6 feet away, which in many areas you ARE, then I don't see why it's anyone's job to care.
those masks are probably the dirtiest things around too. because you know people arent cleaning them everyday. or keeping 7 to use every day.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Dont drive and drink. Honor system.
How does that work out?

Thats why.

Right, but in that case GW we have a legal limit, right? I would argue the legal limit is a way of applying "reason" along with a law. As would not forcing people to wear a mask while running 6' from anyone.

There's obviously a lot of ways to look at this. Personally, I think if a significant percentage of our population proves to have antibodies and the death rate goes even lower, we are going to have an even harder time reopening than we should have because we will have spent the last two months trying to scare the hell out of people.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I work in retail. We are this far into this and people are forgetting to, or underestimating the danger...This is still very much an issue. I feel from your posts you haven't been out in public. Is this correct, or are they just better at it where you are?

I'm in public all the time...I haven't changed my behavior much at all but for wearing a mask in the grocery store. Otherwise, same old. But there's nothing to do really, so inevitably you spend less time out and about.

I live in Metro West in a town of roughly 25-30K people. We have 150 positive cases and 100+ of those are in our two living facilities. People do a good job of social distancing. Some people are complete psychos, but most are pretty reasonable about it and everyone seems invested in staying 6' apart.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Right, but in that case GW we have a legal limit, right? I would argue the legal limit is a way of applying "reason" along with a law. As would not forcing people to wear a mask while running 6' from anyone.

There's obviously a lot of ways to look at this. Personally, I think if a significant percentage of our population proves to have antibodies and the death rate goes even lower, we are going to have an even harder time reopening than we should have because we will have spent the last two months trying to scare the hell out of people.
I'm not sure where you live but Somerville is very congested, as are a lot of city locations. If you are out on a nice day, 50% of the time you are going to be close to other people. Asking everyone to mind the 6 feet & wear masks apparently isn't working. Mandating it gives 'teeth' to deal with people that aren't complying. Until mandated, there isn't much anyone can do to people that aren't respecting the social distancing.

It's differnet out in the 'burbs but even I now run different routes than I normally would so I cover much less busy ground. And I have the option to run out onto the street 95% of the time; that's not the case in the city, even during down traffic times such as now.

It's basically the only answer when people don't respect the 'suggested' social distancing - a law that can then be enforced.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I'm not sure where you live but Somerville is very congested, as are a lot of city locations. If you are out on a nice day, 50% of the time you are going to be close to other people. Asking everyone to mind the 6 feet & wear masks apparently isn't working. Mandating it gives 'teeth' to deal with people that aren't complying. Until mandated, there isn't much anyone can do to people that aren't respecting the social distancing.

It's differnet out in the 'burbs but even I now run different routes than I normally would so I cover much less busy ground. And I have the option to run out onto the street 95% of the time; that's not the case in the city, even during down traffic times such as now.

It's basically the only answer when people don't respect the 'suggested' social distancing - a law that can then be enforced.

And I'd say that's fair. Again, my point was related to when people had the ability to be 6' apart. If you live in a congested city and cant stay 6 feet apart, then yeah, wear a mask. But if you don't live in the city and can stay 6' apart, should be a personal decision.

TinyRivers

Jun 26, 2006
Nova Scotia
I'm in public all the time...I haven't changed my behavior much at all but for wearing a mask in the grocery store. Otherwise, same old. But there's nothing to do really, so inevitably you spend less time out and about.

I live in Metro West in a town of roughly 25-30K people. We have 150 positive cases and 100+ of those are in our two living facilities. People do a good job of social distancing. Some people are complete psychos, but most are pretty reasonable about it and everyone seems invested in staying 6' apart.
Up here in Halifax, N.S., you can't get away from the stupid!, Some days 5 % of people aren't practicing SD, some days, only 5% are....I'm on board with masking up. It's not a law here, but Costco does expect us to and I'm more than happy to oblige. If the whole idea behind it is to ensure I don't infect someone else with a deadly virus, I'm all in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad