OT: All Things Coronavirus Covid-19 - Part XI - MOD ADVISORY POST 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
i guess they all think it's a hoax until they get it. although a friend of mine who lives on
eastern long island said his neighbors got it, recovered, and still think it's BS because
"all i got was a cold". as you said, you just cannot fix stupid and brainwashed.

also, i'm with you on the delouse and shower program. my washer is getting a good workout.

Yeah I hear that. To that end, we've seen a huge jump in our electricity and water consumption since the shut down. But it's well worth it if we can keep the risks of exposure lower and keep it out of our house. We hadn't even thought of it, but one of our friends is a nurse and she suggested it.

Reactions: neelynugs

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Virtually all of my right-leaning friends are either questioning or mocking people who are wearing masks while they run, bike, or drive. The driving one I get for the most part but the others? I don’t understand
Why Michael Savage is blasting Sean Hannity and the right-wing media on the coronavirus

Savage is far to the right himself but this is his background and he is trying to educate his base and Trumps base. However, that is not what they want to hear or believe because they aren’t bright enough, open-minded, or interested in science. They have turned their anger on one of their own to the point he’s closing down his Twitter account.

he went off on how Sean Hannity has what he feels given out very bad information. His base took to Twitter with viscious replies and attacks

With no small amount of self-satisfaction, Savage reminds people of his credentials — a Ph.D. and training in epidemiology — and of the fact that he was one of the few voices in conservative media who had warned them all along.

Reactions: lopey

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Could you ever imagine that during a pandemic in the U.S., the entire conversation of the United Stars of America would be about injecting disinfectants into oneself? Not in my lifetime! What an AH we have for a leader. Did his supporters expect this? I hope not. Please stay inside, social distance, wear a mask outside along with gloves. Pray for a vaccine.

Reactions: lopey

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I get that. I just don’t follow why people would wear one when away from people. In a store or a group, makes sense to me. On a bike ride by yourself...what’s the point?
I don't wear one while running or walking/hiking but I also do that alone (no talking/keep my mouth shut), I'm not one of those people that spits when they run or anything, and I go out of my way to be (way) over 6 feet away from other people (IE, cross the street if I'm running up on walkers, detour through the woods to avoid that family walking 6 aside, etc). I wear one if I'm going into stores. Those are the only two sets of activities I do outside of the house currently.
My sister wears one everywhere. She said it helps her to not absentmindedly touch her face or anything like that. But she did join me for a distance walk the other day and it was clearly bothering her by the end, she started moving it when we couldnt' see anyone ahead of us. I didn't feel like getting into the point of the mask with her but if it helps her psychologically, go for it.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I don't wear one while running or walking/hiking but I also do that alone (no talking/keep my mouth shut), I'm not one of those people that spits when they run or anything, and I go out of my way to be (way) over 6 feet away from other people (IE, cross the street if I'm running up on walkers, detour through the woods to avoid that family walking 6 aside, etc). I wear one if I'm going into stores. Those are the only two sets of activities I do outside of the house currently.
My sister wears one everywhere. She said it helps her to not absentmindedly touch her face or anything like that. But she did join me for a distance walk the other day and it was clearly bothering her by the end, she started moving it when we couldnt' see anyone ahead of us. I didn't feel like getting into the point of the mask with her but if it helps her psychologically, go for it.

This is pretty much where I’m at. I dont wear one when driving or if Im out for a walk. I live in a rural town and we give each other space walking.
If Im out doing something else...rarely...like my run in with that prick at the ATM a few weeks ago. Then I have my mask , gloves, sunglasses and purell in the jeep.

I dont run. Too old too fat. So those that know and have met me if you ever see me running you best run like f***ing crazy because something horrible is coming behind me.

Last edited:

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Yeah I hear that. To that end, we've seen a huge jump in our electricity and water consumption since the shut down. But it's well worth it if we can keep the risks of exposure lower and keep it out of our house. We hadn't even thought of it, but one of our friends is a nurse and she suggested it.

i'm certainly on the high end of the spectrum for "protective behavior", but spending a little
more time cleaning stuff and being overly cautious doesn't hurt. just means a little extra time,
which we seem to have in spades. i had to get to the supermarket this week for things that
aren't available online - was in an aisle and saw a lady heading toward me, i kept eye contact
and backpedaled/head on a swivel until she looks at me, waves her hand like "you're being
ridiculous" and turns the other way. some people will never get it.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Yet many others do not. It's about his position of power and his platform to convey his stream of conscious. For a person with that reach, it's dangerous to suggest things like injecting bleach, etc, no?

Indeed. Trump's words aren't meaningless: they influence what other people do. To wit:

"In Maryland, so many callers flooded a health hotline with questions that the state’s Emergency Management Agency had to issue a warning that “under no circumstances” should any disinfectant be taken to treat the coronavirus. In Washington State, officials urged people not to consume laundry detergent capsules. Across the country on Friday, health professionals sounded the alarm.

"Injecting bleach or highly concentrated rubbing alcohol “causes massive organ damage and the blood cells in the body to basically burst,” Dr. Diane P. Calello, the medical director of the New Jersey Poison Information and Education System, said in an interview. “It can definitely be a fatal event.”

"Even the makers of Clorox and Lysol pleaded with Americans not to inject or ingest their products.

"The frantic reaction was prompted by President Trump’s suggestion on Thursday at a White House briefing that an “injection inside” the human body with a disinfectant like bleach or isopropyl alcohol could help combat the virus."

Trump’s Suggestion That Disinfectants Could Be Used to Treat Coronavirus Prompts Aggressive Pushback

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
as for masks. for work they gave us 5 to use. one for each day of the week that we have to brown bag after the day. tben use it again the next week.

i avoid all crowds so i havent used a mask when ive been home.

i havent been using one while in the dunkin donuts drive thru. but if i go to the trails now i do wear one as its become so crowded.

Reactions: Gee Wally
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad