OT: All Things Coronavirus Covid-19 - Part VI - MOD ADVISORY POST 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
they've been clear (as best they can) that in AZ they feel mid May is the peaking estimate.

this is going to be a long haul.
I'm happy to hear AZ is taking it very seriously. May feels like an eternity

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Don’t the hospitals have some culpability in this shortage? We’ve been reading about the threat of something like this for howany years now? I mean governments have lots of responsibilities, so maybe more angst should fall here? I believe one of the administrations years ago asked for hospital regulation on this stuff and nobody wanted that, but here we are. Everyone from the government on down has been as bad at this as possible IMO. All comes down to nobody wanting to spend money on “maybes” unless it’s for the protection of the countrys military (which is fine by me) but maybe this will be the blue print on what not to do next time this happens

100% disagree. Nothing to do with money and everything to do with no one protecting the medical fields supply chain. It wasn't until 3/18 that my medical vendors finally released memos that they would no longer sell to retailers like Amazon, Walmart, etc. By that time almost every item on their website was either "out of stock" or "on allocation" meaning when I order 10 cases of gowns, I may only get 2 in the shipment and I won't know that until it's dropped off and I see the packing slip.

The media was pushing fear FAR faster than the CDC and the administration was providing the medical world with facts.

I can also honestly tell you that the information on the ground, regardless of what is being said, is far worse than anyone from the administration is letting you know. Forget proper infection control protocol and realize some hospitals are now buying rain coats as gowns because they're easier to obtain.

At the end of the day, this is a catastrophic failure on so many levels the likes of which are going to cost this country thousands of lives and possibly the trust of tens of thousands of medical personnel who feel absolutely vulnerable but still throw on a game face and go to war everyday.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I'm happy to hear AZ is taking it very seriously. May feels like an eternity

its going to last awhile.
Then it will be state by state , county by county and individual by individual.

My place of work I may not see or be allowed back until maybe year end.
Why?
I ‘check’ most of the boxes.
Over 60 - check.
Sleep apnea- check.
High blood pressure- check
Over weight - check
Heart issues- one past heart attack - check

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
100% disagree. Nothing to do with money and everything to do with no one protecting the medical fields supply chain. It wasn't until 3/18 that my medical vendors finally released memos that they would no longer sell to retailers like Amazon, Walmart, etc. By that time almost every item on their website was either "out of stock" or "on allocation" meaning when I order 10 cases of gowns, I may only get 2 in the shipment and I won't know that until it's dropped off and I see the packing slip.

The media was pushing fear FAR faster than the CDC and the administration was providing the medical world with facts.

I can also honestly tell you that the information on the ground, regardless of what is being said, is far worse than anyone from the administration is letting you know. Forget proper infection control protocol and realize some hospitals are now buying rain coats as gowns because they're easier to obtain.

At the end of the day, this is a catastrophic failure on so many levels the likes of which are going to cost this country thousands of lives and possibly the trust of tens of thousands of medical personnel who feel absolutely vulnerable but still throw on a game face and go to war everyday.

Obsoletely agree. Things being made public now is what was known in science and supply chain arenas weeks to month(s) ago.

The old saying pissing on your leg and saying its raining applies here.

Reactions: Spooner st

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
...and this is what stupidity will lead you to...

Liberty University Brings Back Its Students, and Coronavirus Fears, Too

Updated March 30, 2020: This story has been changed to reflect the first known positive coronavirus test of a Liberty University student.

LYNCHBURG, Va. — As Liberty University’s spring break was drawing to a close this month, Jerry Falwell Jr., its president, spoke with the physician who runs Liberty’s student health service about the rampaging coronavirus.

“We’ve lost the ability to corral this thing,” Dr. Thomas W. Eppes Jr. said he told Mr. Falwell. But he did not urge him to close the school. “I just am not going to be so presumptuous as to say, ‘This is what you should do and this is what you shouldn’t do,’” Dr. Eppes said in an interview.

So Mr. Falwell — a staunch ally of President Trump and an influential voice in the evangelical world — reopened the university last week, igniting a firestorm. As of Friday, Dr. Eppes said, nearly a dozen Liberty students were sick with symptoms that suggested Covid-19, the disease caused by the virus. Three were referred to local hospital centers for testing. An additional eight were told to self-isolate.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
its going to last awhile.
Then it will be state by state , county by county and individual by individual.

My place of work I may not see or be allowed back until maybe year end.
Why?
I ‘check’ most of the boxes.
Over 60 - check.
Sleep apnea- check.
High blood pressure- check
Over weight - check
Heart issues- one past heart attack - check
I didn't think about sleep apnea being a risk factor but I guess it makes sense

Ruh roh. :help:

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Scare tactics but they need to say that now so people listen.

You should start to see the effects of social distancing soon. It will still be bad but had these things not been put in place forget it

I've read that any action (i.e. social distancing) is supposed to take 2 weeks to have an effect, so this would be the week we'd start to see if anything improves. Hopefully it does.

I try not to pay too much attention to the case counts, but I've noticed in Italy that the new daily cases and deaths have somewhat stagnated over the past week-and-a-half. They've stayed right around 5,500 new cases every day (+/- 1,000), and the deaths have been similar at 750 per day (+/- 100). You'd love to see more improvement, but I think the fact that things aren't getting worse is a good sign.

Reactions: Runner77

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Starting to see the unemployment claims flood in.

I hate this part of my job

I hated applying for it myself, never had to do so before but grateful for whatever help I am to receive. My wife still has her job but we had to self quarantine after our vacation so it has been literally a month since either of us both last saw a cheque of any form.

BC has a grant of up to $500 for renters, that money goes directly to the landlords and rent for us will be reduced by up to $500 if we qualify which I believe we will. The Emergency Assistance the Gov`t has set up here too should soon be ready for applications (they said early April) and I`ll be applying for that too. I am sure my wife`s earnings will be taken into account but even with her wages, we will definitely need some help

Truly grateful that the only splurge we make tends to be every two years when we treat ourselves to a vacation but the rest of the time we tend to be very careful with our dollars as we have worked hard to save up for a down payment for a home.....but those investments are taking a beating too so who knows?

Reactions: HustleB and Alicat

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
I've read that any action (i.e. social distancing) is supposed to take 2 weeks to have an effect, so this would be the week we'd start to see if anything improves. Hopefully it does.

I try not to pay too much attention to the case counts, but I've noticed in Italy that the new daily cases and deaths have somewhat stagnated over the past week-and-a-half. They've stayed right around 5,500 new cases every day (+/- 1,000), and the deaths have been similar at 750 per day (+/- 100). You'd love to see more improvement, but I think the fact that things aren't getting worse is a good sign.
The social distancing only works if everyone is participating / staying at home and not going out.
I know from the town I live in, I see many people not adhering to the 6 foot distancing or more rule, which is not good.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

Mathematical/medical geek terminology quibble here, but it's kind of important - no binary (positive/negative) test should ever have an accuracy rate of less than 50%. If your accuracy rate is 30%, then changing every "positive" to "negative" and vice versa will give you an accuracy rate of 70%.

The number 30% is likely to be something else, but is highly unlikely to be "30% accuracy", which is, by definition, "correct tests divded by total tests done".

It could be any one of sensitivity (how good the test is at detecting people who are positive, which should be our focus in designing a good test for COVID), specificity (how good the test is at detecting negative people and not over-diagnosing positive results), positive predictive value (how likely it is that you actually have COVID if you come back positive), or negative predictive value (how likely it is that you don't have COVID if it comes back negative).

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Hopefully this country starts to make things they need in future. That Spain test kit thing is an example. I hope the country looks at the failures of need and reassesses the need to rely on its self.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad