OT: All Things Coronavirus Covid-19 - Part VI - MOD ADVISORY POST 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I am going to brave the Market Basket in either Waltham or Burlington later this morning. I'm having a hell of a time trying to schedule delivery from Whole Foods or Wal-Mart and there are some things we need today. Do any of you think I'll have any luck?
depends on what you need

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
And... it's only the beginning...

Nurses Die, Doctors Fall Sick and Panic Rises on Virus Front Lines

The pandemic has begun to sweep through New York City’s medical ranks, and anxiety is growing among normally dispassionate medical professionals.

supervisor urged surgeons at Columbia University Irving Medical Center in Manhattan to volunteer for the front lines because half the intensive-care staff had already been sickened by coronavirus.

“ICU is EXPLODING,” she wrote in an email.

A doctor at Weill Cornell Medical Center in Manhattan described the unnerving experience of walking daily past an intubated, critically ill colleague in her 30s, wondering who would be next.

Another doctor at a major New York City hospital described it as “a petri dish,” where more than 200 workers had fallen sick.
Two nurses in city hospitals have died.

The coronavirus pandemic, which has infected more than 30,000 people in New York City, is beginning to take a toll on those who are most needed to combat it: the doctors, nurses and other workers at hospitals and clinics. In emergency rooms and intensive care units, typically dispassionate medical professionals are feeling panicked as increasing numbers of colleagues get sick.

I feel like we’re all just being sent to slaughter,” said Thomas Riley, a nurse at Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx, who has contracted the virus, along with his husband.

Medical workers are still showing up day after day to face overflowing emergency rooms, earning them praise as heroes. Thousands of volunteers have signed up to join their colleagues.

But doctors and nurses said they can look overseas for a dark glimpse of the risk they are facing, especially when protective gear has been in short supply.

My daughter is more than likely going to volunteer at Sloan. To say I’m sick about it would be the understatement of the decade

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
One hospital’s furious scramble across the globe for masks.

Private jets donated by Warren Buffett’s company. Special approvals from government officials in two countries. And a frenzied trip to Nanjing, China.

That is how far the Mount Sinai Health System had to go last week to obtain a new supply of N95 respirators, the heavy-duty face masks that are most effective at blocking particles that could carry coronavirus.

The effort, which was not publicly disclosed, illustrates the scarcity of protective equipment for health care workers in New York, the nation’s epicenter of the outbreak.

It began last Monday, when Mount Sinai got a call from Taikang Nanjing International Medical Center saying that because the outbreak in China had passed its peak, the hospital had hundreds of thousands of extra masks and other supplies. Mount Sinai could have them if it picked them up.

Mount Sinai planned to send a cargo plane, but China rejected that idea, saying it had no space for large planes as it was rapidly restarting its imports and exports. So Mount Sinai got a Goldman Sachs executive to convince a Buffett-owned company called NetJets to send two small 13-seat jets.

At a small landing strip in Nanjing, a city of 8 million northwest of Shanghai, the pilots squeezed 5.5 tons of N95 masks — about 130,000 masks in all — into the jets.

The gambit required special approval from U.S. Customs and Border Protection, the Food and Drug Administration and the Chinese government. But it worked. At 3 a.m. on Friday, the jets landed at Teterboro Airport in New Jersey, where workers picked up the masks and began distributing them to Mount Sinai’s eight hospitals.

Hospital Ship Arriving in N.Y. to Help in Coronavirus Fight: Live Updates

Reactions: neelynugs

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
How to confuse everyone including yourself.

Inside G.M.’s Race to Build Ventilators, Before Trump’s Attack

Mr. Trump does not see it that way. On Friday, he said on Twitter that Ms. Barra and G.M. had promised to provide 40,000 ventilators “very quickly” but was now telling the administration that it could produce only 6,000 by late April and wanted “top dollar” for the machines. “Always a mess with Mary B,” he said.

G.M. wasn’t negotiating price and other details with the government. Ventec has led the talks with the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the Department of Health and Human Services about how many ventilators the government would like to buy, and at what price. The automaker has said it will not make a profit on the ventilators it assembles and is only seeking to cover its costs.

The federal government hasn’t indicated how many machines the ventilator makers, including G.M. and Ventec, ought to produce, two people familiar with the talks said.

Ventec never received a confirmation from the government about which machine it was interested in acquiring, how many it wanted and how much it was willing to spend.

At the same time, administration officials told The Times that they were struggling to understand how many ventilators the two companies could produce. On Wednesday afternoon, FEMA told the White House that it needed more time to assess offers for ventilators.

When Mr. Trump lashed out at G.M. on Friday, executives at both companies were stunned. G.M. executives were furious Mr. Trump would attack the company after it had made so much progress in a week and the administration had earlier been supportive of their effort. (The president on Friday also took aim at Ford Motor, writing, “FORD, GET GOING ON VENTILATORS, FAST!!!!!”

Ford is helping General Electric’s health care division increase production of its ventilators.)

“What we’ve accomplished in five days is incredible,” Larryson Foltran, who works in a technology support group at G.M., wrote on Facebook, noting he had been working 14 to 18 hours a day. He said that the president’s posts had bothered him “on a deeper level.”

Ultimately, G.M. and Ventec executives decided that they would offer no direct response to the president because responding would only invite more criticism from the White House, two people familiar with those discussions said.

Even if the federal government ultimately declines to buy the machines Ventec and G.M. make, the companies are moving ahead because they know there will be other customers around the country, and across the world, four people familiar with their plans said.

But Mr. Trump’s Twitter posts appear to have unnerved other corporate leaders. A person familiar with the Stop the Spread campaign said that several corporate executives who had been willing to contribute to the effort earlier had backed away for fear of ending up becoming targets for Mr. Trump as Ms. Barra had.

At a White House news conference on Sunday, the president struck a different tone. “General Motors is doing a fantastic job,” Mr. Trump said. “I don’t think we have to worry about General Motors now.”

Reactions: Runner77

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I find this interesting as Fauci went on the Sunday shows and said we could have more than 100,000 deaths when all is said and done.

I just find it alarming that they said 100 - 200k and all of a sudden now it is 200k.

It depends on what model is being run....but its going to be bad .
My company this morning put it in Bostonian terms - "we havent even gotten to the beginning of Heartbreak Hill yet"....

East Coast and West Coast will be fully peak in about 2 weeks. Then it will spread inland to midwest and other rural regions throughout April & May. Not peaking there until June/July depending on clusters.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
I am working from home full time. I did briefly leave to pick up Frodo...my cat who spent the night in the hospital. He is sitting on the cat furniture watching the squirrels and birds that I put peanuts and bird seed out for. I hope he lasts awhile before he goes into heart failure again.
Working from home now. Not enjoying it. I do have to go in today and run payroll

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I find this interesting as Fauci went on the Sunday shows and said we could have more than 100,000 deaths when all is said and done.

I just find it alarming that they said 100 - 200k and all of a sudden now it is 200k.

Scare tactics but they need to say that now so people listen.

You should start to see the effects of social distancing soon. It will still be bad but had these things not been put in place forget it

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
My company this morning put it in Bostonian terms - "we havent even gotten to the beginning of Heartbreak Hill yet"....

East Coast and West Coast will be fully peak in about 2 weeks. Then it will spread inland to midwest and other rural regions throughout April & May. Not peaking there until June/July depending on clusters.

Wait until the clusters hit those areas where the hospitals are a couple hundred miles away. Sad

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

Oh shit.

Reactions: hrdpuk

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Scare tactics but they need to say that now so people listen.

You should start to see the effects of social distancing soon. It will still be bad but had these things not been put in place forget it
Oh we definitely need to figure out a way to get people to listen. Just feel a little unnerved that one person is saying more than 100K and the other is giving a specific number.

We still have absolute morons here who are going to close outdoor spaces that you can go and social distance.

So damn frustrating

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario

I fear that it is going to be in the millions of deaths. Italy and Spain are not slowing down at all yet. The US population is 5 times that of Italy and a huge percentage have health issues, no matter the age. I want to believe different, if people would listen I would have more hope.

Reactions: Ladyfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad