OT: All Things Coronavirus Covid-19 - Part VI - MOD ADVISORY POST 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Im just surprised you want to hand the entire operation over to Trump, I'd rather the Governors make decisions for their own states as they have a better pulse on whats going on than Trump. Cuomo is asking Trump for supplies bc that's his job
So...it's his job now!!!

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Im just surprised you want to hand the entire operation over to Trump, I'd rather the Governors make decisions for their own states as they have a better pulse on whats going on in their own states than Trump. Cuomo is asking Trump for supplies bc that's his job
Mental exercise time: There's a shortage of a specific good available. Our company has 50 departments that each need access to that good. We have a purchasing manager as well.

In the scenario above, which is more efficient:
1. All 50 department heads contact the company that provides the good separately, negotiating prices & purchase agreements
2. Our purchasing manager speaks with the 50 departments to get requests and then contacts the supply company to negotiate a single massive order

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
yep, and I have no complaints of how he's handing it. Feds should give him all the support he needs as they are the hardest hit state
“It’s D.P.A. by impulse,” said Jeffrey Bialos, a former under secretary of defense for industrial affairs for the Clinton administration.

He said the administration should instead use the law as leverage.

“You have the carrot and the stick,” Mr. Bialos said. “If you were a sophisticated person or group doing this you would use the carrot and the stick to get more from the industry today to facilitate production for the future.”

Despite Mr. Navarro’s order, critics say that the administration was encouraging American exports of masks and other protective gear in January and February, even as it should have been preparing medical supplies for the crisis to come.

Representative Lloyd Doggett, Democrat of Texas, pointed out that the Commerce Department was still advertising measures to help American businesses export medical products to China as late as the last week of February, even after administration officials told Congress they might face a shortage of face masks.

In January and February, United States exports of ventilators and oxygenation products to China were up 138 percent from the previous year, while exports of gas and face masks with filters rose 1315 percent, according to data from the Census Bureau analyzed by Mr. Doggett’s office. Exports of protective garments were up 493 percent in the same period, while exports of disinfectant products rose 225 percent, the data show.

“Ignoring the obvious need to prepare for a pandemic, the Trump administration promoted substantially increased export of face masks, ventilators, and other vital equipment to China rather than protecting our health care workers,” Mr. Doggett said in a statement. “Many Americans are now paying with their lives for Trump denial, delay, and deception.”

Trump Seeks to Block 3M Mask Exports and Grab Masks from Its Overseas Customers

Here you go, read slowly.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Mental exercise time: There's a shortage of a specific good available. Our company has 50 departments that each need access to that good. We have a purchasing manager as well.

In the scenario above, which is more efficient:
1. All 50 department heads contact the company that provides the good separately, negotiating prices & purchase agreements
2. Our purchasing manager speaks with the 50 departments to get requests and then contacts the supply company to negotiate a single massive order

I'd go with option 1, a single massive order could be a longer ETA, as stock becomes available they could do partial shipments on 1 massive order but it would be a headache to manage. Right now procuring notebooks for my clients due to the shortage of stock requires me to search as many suppliers as I can find.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I'd go with option 1, a single massive order could be a longer ETA, as stock becomes available they could do partial shipments on 1 massive order but it would be a headache to manage. Right now procuring notebooks for my clients due to the shortage of stock requires me to search as many suppliers as I can find.
Exactly if you company had stock it would be easier.
In the case of governments it's easier since they pass budgets for stockpiles. So when States/Provinces need in emergencies situations they send it to them. It's the federal government's jobs to make sure they have what they need in case of emergencies.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Exactly if you company had stock it would be easier.
In the case of governments it's easier since they pass budgets for stockpiles. So when States/Provinces need in emergencies situations they send it to them. It's the federal government's jobs to make sure they have what they need in case of emergencies.

Think of the Feds as another supplier. Once you drain their stock you still have to find stock elsewhere as demand increases. Canada relies on 3M it seems. Wouldn't u like them to have 3 or 4 more reliable suppliers? My point is I want my Governor to have the ability to wheel and deal in any situation

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
So 50 people negotiating separate contracts, rates, delivery orders, and timelines is more efficient to you than a single massive order?

This explains a lot, carry on.

Reactions: Spooner st

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
So 50 people negotiating separate contracts, rates, delivery orders, and timelines is more efficient to you than a single massive order?

This explains a lot, carry on.

Can you explain to me how 1 single massive order works with multiple ship to locations. That requires many orders and tracking numbers. Say requirements change for a few locations. Are you going to put them on hold for the next massive order?

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Im just surprised you want to hand the entire operation over to Trump, I'd rather the Governors make decisions for their own states as they have a better pulse on whats going on in their own states than Trump. Cuomo is asking Trump for supplies bc that's his job

The official government webpage for the Strategic National Stockpile was altered Friday to seemingly reflect a controversial description of the emergency repository that White House adviser Jared Kushner offered at a news conference Thursday evening.

According to a brief online summary on the Department of Health and Human Services website, the stockpile's role "is to supplement state and local supplies during public health emergencies. Many states have products stockpiled, as well."

Also stripped from the new summary is a sentence that affirmed the stockpile "contains enough supplies to respond to multiple large-scale emergencies simultaneously."

The revisions come after Kushner argued at the White House coronavirus task force press briefing Thursday that the stockpile's reserves are the property of the federal government, not the states.

Strategic National Stockpile description altered online after Kushner's remarks

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Think of the Feds as another supplier. Once you drain their stock you still have to find stock elsewhere as demand increases. Canada relies on 3M it seems. Wouldn't u like them to have 3 or 4 more reliable suppliers? My point is I want my Governor to have the ability to wheel and deal in any situation
They do, but their budget is limited. In the case of Cuomo the whole budget wasn't enough to buy the ventilators needed.

Then you bid in a medical supplies lot and you are outbid by the federal government in an escalating bidding war... does that makes sense to you? Hence why the feds buy for States/Provinces.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
They do, but their budget is limited. In the case of Cuomo the whole budget wasn't enough to buy the ventilators needed.

Then you bid in a medical supplies lot and you are outbid by the federal government in an escalating bidding war... does that makes sense to you? Hence why the feds buy for States/Provinces.
please provide a link to all these statements. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad