OT - NO POLITICS All Things Coronavirus Covid-19 - Part IV - MOD ADVISORY POST 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
In an unforeseen but logical example of what this crisis has done, food box services like Hello Fresh and Blue Apron are being inundated with new members. I use Blue Apron, and they've had to reduce menu choices and put off orders in some areas because of the new accounts overwhelming their fulfillment centers.
I signed up for Hello Fresh and I’m glad I did. I got protein heavy options so I can store the extra in the freezer. I’ve only had one box so far but I haven’t heard of any issues with Hello Fresh.

Reactions: hrdpuk

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I signed up for Hello Fresh and I’m glad I did. I got protein heavy options so I can store the extra in the freezer. I’ve only had one box so far but I haven’t heard of any issues with Hello Fresh.

My friend who uses Hello Fresh said she got a similar email. She's been a member for years, so maybe they are concentrating on new accounts. None of my Blue Apron boxes are delayed, but they did cut 2-3 recipes from the 9 choices. And I was really looking forward to the Spicy Chicken and Rice Bowls next week.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Agree that Cuomo is taking real steps to try and contain this in the short term. I don't know how fast they can get respirators as well as trained medics to actually use them on patients. On the sheer number of cases the ICU beds with ventilators are probably all occupied at this stage... They only had about 300 free a week ago and with 7-9% of cases being severe that capacity is already gone. This is the insidious nature of crisis like these and probably how they need to articulate the risk to the population at large.

Ergo : "There are no ICU beds left. Even if you don't have contamination with Covid 19, if you get sick, have an accident, have cancer or diabetes, or some other critical care situation - there will be no care as the system is already over capacity. This is why we need all you to stay home and avoid contact. Covid 19 will kill both Covid infected people, but as importantly, anyone that needs critical care if the system is overwhelmed."

This is what is happening in Northern Italy right now. There is no additional care for anything. AND the actual count of deaths in cluster zones is about 3x the annualized deaths per population from last year. Only about a 3rd of these are being associated to Covid 19 because of a lack of testing... Bergamo is a prime example of this... You're talking doubling the annual death rate of the country and that is at this stage... Carpe diem.
Cuomo has another 300 ventilators coming in. Cuomo also said (in one of the post with link that I posted ) he his scouting the world for more and other medical equipment supplies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
My friend who uses Hello Fresh said she got a similar email. She's been a member for years, so maybe they are concentrating on new accounts. None of my Blue Apron boxes are delayed, but they did cut 2-3 recipes from the 9 choices. And I was really looking forward to the Spicy Chicken and Rice Bowls next week.
Hopefully they add them back soon for you. I got 3 meals in my first order and am on the biweekly schedule for 2 meals.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Seems like total cases and deaths may be lower than yesterday. Let’s hope that holds true.
I've been following it for a while now, people talk about the China numbers that are not accurate. I also think there's other countries that are not properly reporting their numbers.
The US, Canada, France, Iran and Korea all have fishy numbers.IMO.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Hopefully they add them back soon for you. I got 3 meals in my first order and am on the biweekly schedule for 2 meals.

I get three meals still, just not my original choices.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I honestly don’t understand how people are still panic buying. How are you not all set yet?! And beyond that, it’s been made clear that in the case of a lockdown grocery stores are open.

I haven't been out to the grocery store myself, since I'm taking care of my two elderly parents (so I put myself in the "elderly" category for now to protect them), but I can say that delivery has been spotty but reasonable - we missed out on chicken and rice in our delivery last week, and lettuce this week, but we certainly have enough stuff overall. I went out twice to bulk up on supplies in early March, before the mania (and the COVID itself) hit, but it's always nice to have fresh food around.

I think also a lot of it has to do with people only shopping once every 7-14 days instead of shopping for the next 2-3 days - that's a smart move, as it decreases the number of exposures you have. It also has to do with people holing up and not doing any kind of delivery/takeout, or doing it less frequently - that will naturally increase the number of people shopping at grocery stores. (Plus, it's theoretically cheaper - if you're laid off from COVID and have nothing to do all day, may as well cook your dinner for $5 rather than get $10 of takeout.)

I like the idea of senior hours in the grocery stores, but I worry a little that it inadvertently gives seniors a false sense of security when shopping. If you're elderly and you've got kids or younger neighbors who are begging to shop for you - please, let them do it! Not a time for pride or being independent. But the early hours are a good second measure if that's not feasible.

And as far as the continued need, some of it is just people who haven't been able to get it in the first wave of panic buying. If you weren't able to get TP when you went out last week, you're still going to need it this week.

Reactions: neelynugs

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
‘Terrified’ Package Delivery Employees Are Going to Work Sick

Hour after hour, day after day, the packages keep arriving: food, medicine, clothes, toys and a million other items brought to the doorsteps and building lobbies of Americans who are hunkering down as the coronavirus sweeps the land.

An increasing number of the workers sorting those boxes, loading them into trucks and then transporting and delivering them around the country have fallen sick.

They have coughs, sore throats, aches and fevers — symptoms consistent with the coronavirus. Yet they are still reporting for their shifts in crowded shipping facilities and warehouses and truck depots, fearful of what will happen if they don’t.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
You think you’re all set and then you blink and your entire pack of chewy chips ahoys are gone.

I understand.

we are down to the last package of Oreos and if I don’t get a backup replenished soon it will be a world of hurt.

I plan on going to the store tomorrow but not for anything crazy. A few fresh fruits and veggies, yogurt, milk, Oreos, a few spices were low on, and chicken. We’ve been doing Butcher Box which has been great as I haven’t had to worry about protein - my freezer is stocked.

It’s been kind of fun...cooking right now is like Chopped as I’m trying to use up what we have but I’m really needing some fresh ingredients.

Reactions: BrainOfJ

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I haven't been out to the grocery store myself, since I'm taking care of my two elderly parents (so I put myself in the "elderly" category for now to protect them), but I can say that delivery has been spotty but reasonable - we missed out on chicken and rice in our delivery last week, and lettuce this week, but we certainly have enough stuff overall. I went out twice to bulk up on supplies in early March, before the mania (and the COVID itself) hit, but it's always nice to have fresh food around.

I think also a lot of it has to do with people only shopping once every 7-14 days instead of shopping for the next 2-3 days - that's a smart move, as it decreases the number of exposures you have. It also has to do with people holing up and not doing any kind of delivery/takeout, or doing it less frequently - that will naturally increase the number of people shopping at grocery stores. (Plus, it's theoretically cheaper - if you're laid off from COVID and have nothing to do all day, may as well cook your dinner for $5 rather than get $10 of takeout.)

I like the idea of senior hours in the grocery stores, but I worry a little that it inadvertently gives seniors a false sense of security when shopping. If you're elderly and you've got kids or younger neighbors who are begging to shop for you - please, let them do it! Not a time for pride or being independent. But the early hours are a good second measure if that's not feasible.

And as far as the continued need, some of it is just people who haven't been able to get it in the first wave of panic buying. If you weren't able to get TP when you went out last week, you're still going to need it this week.

There’s a difference between a regular trip and stocking up. People will still need to get regular trips in, I had just (wrongly) assumed the panic buying would have stopped by now.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I've been following it for a while now, people talk about the China numbers that are not accurate. I also think there's other countries that are not properly reporting their numbers.
The US, Canada, France, Iran and Korea all have fishy numbers.IMO.
Without a doubt the US numbers aren’t right, right? Gotta be way more who would test positive but are asymptomatic and don’t get tested . Which just pushes the mortality rate even lower than the 1% it is at now.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Without a doubt the US numbers aren’t right, right? Gotta be way more who would test positive but are asymptomatic and don’t get tested . Which just pushes the mortality rate even lower than the 1% it is at now.
Yes, but the mortality rate is also on the low side, compare to what it was.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
‘Terrified’ Package Delivery Employees Are Going to Work Sick

Hour after hour, day after day, the packages keep arriving: food, medicine, clothes, toys and a million other items brought to the doorsteps and building lobbies of Americans who are hunkering down as the coronavirus sweeps the land.

An increasing number of the workers sorting those boxes, loading them into trucks and then transporting and delivering them around the country have fallen sick.

They have coughs, sore throats, aches and fevers — symptoms consistent with the coronavirus. Yet they are still reporting for their shifts in crowded shipping facilities and warehouses and truck depots, fearful of what will happen if they don’t.

This is true to a point, more so depending on where one is in the country. I work with one of these companies mentioned - so far the virus has not yet been a factor where I work or the county. Actually the county reported its first case this weekend. But otherwise it's business as usual. And we have been told we will continue to operate regardless of other restrictions that may be put in place because we are vital to the US commerce and economy. As far as attendance and sickness, well attendance policies are still in place, but there are exceptions on a case by case basis. Will a person lose their job if they are sick, not necessarily, but they do have to follow proper procedures.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Parents. So stubborn. So difficult to control.

FC1717B1-AA33-4917-AD84-D24596E0DCD5.jpeg

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
I just want to add, that everyone is acutely aware of the situation and risks therefore taking extra precautions with hygiene and health with consideration of everyone else around them along with the packages that are being handled for delivery.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Saw this on Twitter.

So glad it's NEW toilet paper. o_O Are they selling used toilet paper for the low, low price of $75 per pack??

IMG_20200321_193956.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->