OT - NO POLITICS All Things Coronavirus Covid-19 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
While there is a lot of truth to this from a social perspective(Also see Mouse Utopia Experiments)
history has also taught us that we have a choice in those times to be very different, much more:

“In the 3rd Century, there was a pandemic that was sweeping across Italy, Africa and the western empire. The scholar Kyler Harper believes it was the Ebola virus. At its height, it killed more than 5,000 people every day in Rome. Some cities had their population wiped out by more than 60 percent. During the pandemic, people panicked. Many people abandoned the sick in ditches and left the dead unburied. People fled areas where there was sickness and abandoned the elderly, the sick and the disabled. But there was one class of people who refused to panic. The last non-christian Emperor was a man named Julian. He wrote: “that the recent Christian growth was caused by their ‘moral character, even if pretended,’ and by their ‘benevolence toward strangers and care for the graves of the dead.’” In a letter to another priest he wrote, “The impious Galileans support not only their poor but ours as well, everyone can see that our people lack aid from us.” Christians instead of leaving the city, stayed at great risk to themselves. They cared for the poor, the sick and the elderly. The historian Rodney Stark said that you can trace the rise of Christianity to the three major plagues in the 2nd, 3rd and 6th Centuries. He said Christianity grew because people looked at the incredible witness of Christians during times of crisis. Instead of panicking, they demonstrated tremendous faith and compassion. If you are a believer, this is an incredible opportunity to bear witness, to be people of faith and compassion. Instead of hoarding, give generously. Instead of panicking, respond thoughtfully. It’s a time to demonstrate a love that is sacrificial and a hope that no disease can destroy.” - Dennis Kang

I apologize for taking in faith on a hockey board. But to me, this is historical evidence that we as humans have a choice at these times.
To give in to our primal emotions or to rise above them and shine.

No arguement from me. In 1978 I saw not only the worst in people but also amazing and inspirational traits in some people.

There will be both. Always.

Amid coronavirus pandemic, neighbors delivering what government cannot - The Boston Globe

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
For you T riders:

MBTA to allow back-door boarding amid pandemic, keeping riders and drivers separate - The Boston Globe

The Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority announced late Friday that it will ask passengers to board buses through the back door, a policy change that will effectively make trips free and is meant to separate riders from drivers to help slow the spread of the coronavirus.

The T typically requires all riders to enter through the front door, where they tap plastic fare cards or insert cash to pay for their trips, putting riders face-to-face with drivers. Now, nearly all riders will be directed to the back, where they won’t have to pay.

The new rules will also apply on the above-ground stops on the Green Line and the Mattapan trolley line, which have operators at the front of vehicles. Riders who enter stations with fare gates will still pay fares.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Ok, this is like Jingle All the Way...
(In the parking lot)

“What are you here for?”
“Ground turkey. You?”
(Blank stare turns to evil eyes)

(Begin sprinting to the entrance ala ‘Supermarket Sweep’)

(Intentionally spills hundreds of oranges to slow down the competition)

“Good Luck!”

upload_2020-3-21_8-11-58.jpeg

Reactions: Bocephus86

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Greg Daco, chief U.S. economist at Oxford Economics, says the economy is assured of a recession — at least two consecutive quarters of economic decline — with output falling 0.4 percent in the first quarter and 12 percent in the second. That would be the biggest quarterly contraction on record, but Goldman Sachs upped the ante on Friday, saying it expected a 24 percent drop in the second quarter.

“This is not just a blip,” Mr. Daco said of the outlook. “We’ve never experienced something like this.”

The abruptness of the descent — and the near-lockdown of major cities — is unheard-of in advanced economies, more akin to wartime privation than to the downturn that accompanied the financial crisis more than a decade ago, or even the Great Depression.

Coronavirus Recession Looms, Its Course ‘Unrecognizable’

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Its the human condition.
Written in 1906 and proven worlwide over the years.

The 9 meal theory.

Nine Meals from Anarchy

Nine Meals From Anarchy

That tipping point where usually rational people will begin to act irrationally.

Potentially, we aint seen nothing yet.
I went to Market Basket this morning( I don't usually shop there but now that I am home …) Some were complaining about no toilet paper and no chicken . I felt bad for the folks working there and thanked every one of them that I passed.

It is NOT their fault the shelves are empty. Some need to think before they open their mouth to bitch. One guy was really complaining about chicken. I told him ..."there is some frozen chicken that you can make due with" He just gave me the evil eye. He is lucky my baseball bat was home.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Me and the mrs are considering heading to the outskirts of Keene NH tomorrow and leaving Cambridge to ride this thing out. The two in-laws live there. I love them and their place is pretty big.
I’m kinda going back and forth on actually going. We can pool resources, have access to laundry, have the comfort of family. I don’t know if I want to be stuck in a heavily populated area. At least we would have plenty of room to walk around the woods.

Advice would be appreciated
What ever keeps you and THEM safe. Best of luck to you and whatever your decision is.

Reactions: Gordon Lightfoot

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
The media is hardly the issue in these interviews.

I generally despise the media.
I'm not a fan of media either, and certainly not a fan of politics. But we need to be able to see through it... have some discernment of what is being said from both sides of the fence.

Just being gullible like @DKH eloquently put it... it's a disservice to yourself and your family.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Trump approves disaster declaration for New York

Trump's order opens up federal support for state and local recovery efforts in areas affected by COVID-19, the White House said in a statement.
It also gives New York residents who have been affected by the illness access to crisis counseling.
As of Saturday morning, more than 7,100 cases of COVID-19 had been reported in the Empire State, according to The New York Times.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Trump approves disaster declaration for New York

Trump's order opens up federal support for state and local recovery efforts in areas affected by COVID-19, the White House said in a statement.
It also gives New York residents who have been affected by the illness access to crisis counseling.
As of Saturday morning, more than 7,100 cases of COVID-19 had been reported in the Empire State, according to The New York Times.

the healthcare workers need as much support as possible. Can't imagine what the are going through.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
the healthcare workers need as much support as possible. Can't imagine what the are going through.

my company sent out a notice last night, HQ in Paris, asking any employee physicians or nurses if they want to volunteer at hospitals company will maintain full wages and benefits with their job waiting for them when they return.
Also asked for those that have retired to consider the same.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
B77C2248-DB2D-4074-B40D-965F41236D33.png

Me and the mrs are considering heading to the outskirts of Keene NH tomorrow and leaving Cambridge to ride this thing out. The two in-laws live there. I love them and their place is pretty big.
I’m kinda going back and forth on actually going. We can pool resources, have access to laundry, have the comfort of family. I don’t know if I want to be stuck in a heavily populated area. At least we would have plenty of room to walk around the woods.

Advice would be appreciated
I live in the country and I’ve been trying to spend more time outside. I find it really helps.

On the supplies front: I had to pick up a prescription for my husband yesterday so I went to the CVS drive-through, where I found they are now selling essentials as well. I was able to get some Tylenol (we usually have Advil & Aleve on hand), just in case the warning against ibuprofen is legit.

they also have 1-2 day delivery of prescriptions and home essentials available.
(See image at top from their app)

I’ve been thinking about doing the 60+ grocery thing. I’m low on onions. Isn’t that crazy? I have enough of everything else. So I scheduled a Peapod pickup at Giant. Couldn’t get a slot until next Friday, but I can add to the shopping list until Friday at 3 a.m.

now I feel calm.

Reactions: Gordon Lightfoot

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
1,200 Airport Workers in N.Y.C. Area Abruptly Laid Off With No Severance

Amid the spreading pandemic, thousands of employees of businesses in the airports around New York City may have their benefits cut off.

Maria Campos had worked as a waitress at La Guardia Airport for more than 30 years until Tuesday, when her career came to an abrupt halt that left her scared and empty-handed. She was ordered to turn in her airport access badge and told she would receive no severance pay and would soon run out of health insurance.

With air travel in free fall as the coronavirus pandemic worsens across the country, thousands of workers like Ms. Campos have been laid off from their jobs at the major airports that serve New York City.

More than 1,200 of these laid-off workers were employed in restaurants and stores operated by OTG at La Guardia, Kennedy International and Newark Liberty International airports, according to the union that represents them, Unite Here Local 100.

OTG said the closings and layoffs were necessary because of the travel restrictions that had virtually grounded airlines. One of its senior executives is Lawrence Schwartz, a close ally of Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo.

1,200 Airport Workers in N.Y.C. Area Abruptly Laid Off With No Severance

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
My mom passed, and her wake/funeral/burial (cremated) were supposed to take place last Monday...all were cancelled, and I'm in Halifax NS, Canada, so I'm surprised to hear this is only being enforced now.
So sorry TinyRivers. That’s heartbreaking. May her memory bring you peace.

Reactions: Runner77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad