OT: All Things Coronavirus Covid-19 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
For those of us who are missing the annual St Paddy’s Day hometown shows, I highly recommend the live stream on their YouTube and Facebook pages right now.

watching a live virtual concert and raising a pint with friends doing the same via Zoom.
Technology is wild.

Reactions: sooshii

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I brought my laptop home but cannot get into any of the systems I need. Back tomorrow to the guys who can help.

NHL channel played the 2011 playoff video and not have behind the B's

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
My company is expecting not to hit peak in US for 6 to 8 weeks.

Working on plans if we have to keep work from home for 4 months.
I have all day meeting on that tomorrow.
That's very very probable. It's months not weeks.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006

That’s pretty much where we are at Walter.

We are built to hold client orders, short term, but long term we will see. When the flood gates release, we could have a major bottleneck...

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk

GW - Based on published trackers which don't rely on trig or calculus, US critical care is over-run 30th March. Crest of the wave not until 26th-28th April if we are to base case growth on all other zones pre-lockdown - assuming the US does a full federal lockdown in one week. If no Federal lock-down, who knows.... this is why BJ has come full about face in the UK in that the consequences of doing nothing are 1%+ of the population which means every living family of 3 generations loses someone in the next 6 months because of this epidemic. Parent, uncle, child, etc... BJ doesn't want to go down int he history books as the stiff upper lip guy that wrote off 1% of the population. Btw 1% would be circa double and a half the "natural" deaths in a given year. And the more it spreads and the longer it lasts the more mutation happens - currently every 2 weeks a minor mutation occurs.

GISAID - Next hCoV-19 App

Interesting genetic analysis of where this ******* came from and how it it assimilating to the local gene pools per-se...

Reactions: Gee Wally

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
That doesn't necessarily mean we're screwed for four months, though. It's good to make plans for if people have to work at home for 4 months, for sure.

bb74

Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Four months!?
6-8 weeks from full quarantine to flatten the contamination curve and then another 6-8 weeks to clean out the population. Yes this is not going to be "over" best case until July 4th. That's why the while global economy is going on lockdown. It's not the media or stupid politicians, it's the alternative of a "corona winter" in 2020-2021. Think about this. Northern Italy has some of the best health care in Europe. Sorry but one average better than the US or APJ. They are crashing in less than 3 weeks from cases at circa 200 end Feb to today with 30000 of which 22K in northern Italy. 3-4K deaths a week -that's nearly twice as bad as the worst week during the Vietnam War for the US - and this is only Italy we're talking about.... about 20% of the US population.

bb74

Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
OK, so we are still working to flatten the curve. This is a good thing.
Based on the prior track record on this virus, you only start to flatten the curve from the time there is a lockdown and you restrict contact. Aka China, Italy, France, Spain. The US actions in SF, NYC, LA and other locales will help but not with 30k muppets in the street drinking beer on St Patricks day. The unfortunate thing in all this is it would be easier to lock down the whole global market / supply chain for 4 weeks and be done with this, as opposed to the rolling thunder approach which is more damaging both in terms of health and economy given how everything is intertwined these days.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
We're still working on flattening it so that's a positive. Can only do our best all around, which I think we (the world) are.
No, it needs testing so the cases can be detected at the earliest possible, which wont require medical assistance which would help flatten the curve. Then it needs a lot more social distancing to help reduce the spreading.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Based on the prior track record on this virus, you only start to flatten the curve from the time there is a lockdown and you restrict contact. Aka China, Italy, France, Spain. The US actions in SF, NYC, LA and other locales will help but not with 30k muppets in the street drinking beer on St Patricks day. The unfortunate thing in all this is it would be easier to lock down the whole global market / supply chain for 4 weeks and be done with this, as opposed to the rolling thunder approach which is more damaging both in terms of health and economy given how everything is intertwined these days.

OK maybe you're right but I have confidence people will learn and we will come out of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad