OT: All Things Coronavirus Covid-19 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntentionallyWide

The poster formerly known as gobruins14
Sponsor
Aug 9, 2006
Kind of freaking out right now. My wife is pregnant with our first child. Found out today that they might induce next week. What a time to bring a child into the world. I'm scared that I'll somehow contract this and bring it home to her. Hoping there will be a functioning labor & delivery department by the time we get there....

My workplace has ordered us to WFH. Who knows if I'll even have a job to return to when this is all done.

Scary times

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Kind of freaking out right now. My wife is pregnant with our first child. Found out today that they might induce next week. What a time to bring a child into the world. I'm scared that I'll somehow contract this and bring it home to her. Hoping there will be a functioning labor & delivery department by the time we get there....

My workplace has ordered us to WFH. Who knows if I'll even have a job to return to when this is all done.

Scary times
It will all blow over eventually, and life will be back to normal. Just continue to take precautions & avoid the general public as much as possible.

Being nervous during a first child is normal. It’ll be quite the story to tell your son/ daughter some day. You are not alone, we are all in this together, we will persevere.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

Scary times
Children are surprisingly resistant to the effects of this, compared to the flu at least.

Reactions: lopey

Jorah Marshmont

Long may he reign
May 10, 2012
Stopped by Dollar General tonight and was able to get a twin pack of paper towels that I am reserving for extreme emergency TP.

Never thought I'd see the day when I was literally paying attention to how many squares I pull off the TP roll. :help:
d7TELUJ.gif

Reactions: Gordon Lightfoot

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

Scary times
Congrats!

Reactions: IntentionallyWide

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
With the bars closing so many barflies are going to try to self medicate with no idea their tenders have been babysitting them for ever.

Next few days are going to be messy, some of these people have not cooked at home for years ... and they are going to try.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
A friend is at LAX right now picking up her daughter who flew home from college.

She said there are six other people there waiting, and other than the voice on the intercom, it is completely quiet.

:eek:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
With the bars closing so many barflies are going to try to self medicate with no idea their tenders have been babysitting them for ever.

Next few days are going to be messy, some of these people have not cooked at home for years ... and they are going to try.

It's certainly going to create some kitchen ingenuity because of the scarcity of ingredients due to the grocery stores being wiped out by Doomsday preppers

Tonight I wound up cooking a pasta dish out of wide egg noodles, Ragu, fried hot dog slices, and some cream cheese mixed in.

Honestly it was pretty good given what I had to work with.

Reactions: sooshii

WestCoastBruinsFan

Oct 30, 2008
Victoria, BC
Hope all of you are staying safe and hygienic our there. In the meantime, what the f**k is there to do without hockey?

I tried crying, that didn’t work.

I tried eating, that didn’t work.

I tried drinking, that worked...but then I cried.

I tried sticking my head in the toilet and flushing it until something happened, didn’t work.
Now you know what it’s like to be a Leafs fan during normal times.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Different times call for different dating apps.

This is why in this time of pandemic, we need the new app, "Taker."

No need to swipe right or left -- just swipe out-of-stock big store items and make a run for it!

Taker -- just swipe!

os5ZUib.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: finchster

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont

Scary times

try not to panic. as someone else mentioned it’s surprisingly not effecting kids much

I think Eberle and Bozak both had kids today as well

You guys got this

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
A new study could have implications for how the general public and health care workers try to avoid transmission of the virus.

The coronavirus can live for three days on some surfaces, like plastic and steel, new research suggests. Experts say the risk of consumers getting infected from touching those materials is still low, although they offered additional warnings about how long the virus survives in air, which may have important implications for medical workers.

The new study, published Tuesday in the New England Journal of Medicine, also suggests that the virus disintegrates over the course of a day on cardboard, lessening the worry among consumers that deliveries will spread the virus during this period of staying and working from home.

How Long Will Coronavirus Live on Surfaces or in the Air Around You?

Reactions: TCB

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Although it’s impossible to say how many Americans will die because of the new coronavirus, under a reasonable set of assumptions the number of fatalities could be high — potentially in the hundreds of thousands or more.

Deaths on that scale are not easy to grasp. To put the estimates in context, we’re comparing the possible toll with other leading causes of death in the United States in 2018, the most recent year with data available. We’ve started with an estimate from a University of Nebraska public health researcher, Dr. James Lawler, that was recently presented to hospital executives: 480,000 American deaths over the course of the illness known as Covid-19.

Could Coronavirus Cause as Many Deaths as Cancer in the U.S.? Putting Estimates in Context

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Misconceptions about what can protect you are becoming just as contagious as the virus.

As the coronavirus continues to spread across the globe, confusion and misconceptions about what can protect you are becoming as contagious as the virus. We spoke to doctors and experts in infectious diseases about whether there’s any truth to these common claims.

Purell can help protect you.

Maybe. Hand sanitizers with over 60 percent alcohol are effective in killing viruses like the coronavirus, Dr. William Schaffner, M.D., a professor of preventive medicine and infectious diseases at Vanderbilt University Medical Center said. But no one knows for sure if they will work on the current virus. Gels like Purell may be easier for small children in particular, who may lack the coordination to do the full hand washing technique recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, vigorously scrubbing both sides and between the fingers for at least 20 seconds. But washing hands is still crucial, and potentially more effective in protecting you, since it both removes germs and the dirt they cling to. “You can’t do it enough,” said H. Cody Meissner, M.D., chief of the division of pediatric infectious disease at Tufts University School of Medicine and a member of the American Academy of Pediatrics’ Committee on Infectious Diseases.

Don’t Fall for These Myths About Coronavirus

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
‘We’re all in this together'

President Trump has recommended that Americans stop unnecessary travel and avoid gathering in groups of more than 10, but that may not be enough to stop the outbreak from spreading like wildfire in the U.S.

Medical experts say that strategies adopted so far by China, Singapore and Hong Kong — such as early intervention, painstaking tracking, enforced quarantines and meticulous social distancing — offer a better model for keeping the epidemic at bay.

Donald G. McNeil Jr., our infectious diseases reporter, echoed that conclusion in a conversion about the American response with our colleague Melina Delkic. Here are some excerpts.

You’ve said this is a crisis but it’s not unstoppable. How do we stop it?

It’s basically urgent that America imitates what China did. China had a massive outbreak in Wuhan, spreading all over the country, and they’ve almost stopped it. We can shut off the roads, flights, buses and trains. I don’t think we’ll ever succeed at doing exactly what China did. It’s going to cause massive social disruption because Americans don’t like being told what to do.

Coronavirus, Italy, China: Your Wednesday Briefing

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I’m a Doctor in Italy. We Have Never Seen Anything Like This.

My country’s health care system may soon collapse.

MILAN — None of us have ever experienced a tragedy like it.
We know how to respond to road accidents, train derailments, even earthquakes. But a virus that has killed so many, which gets worse with each passing day and for which a cure — or even containment — seems distant? No.

We always think of calamity as something that will happen far from us, to others far away, in another part of the world. It’s a kind of superstition. But not this time. This time it happened here, to us — to our loved ones, our neighbors, our colleagues.

I’m an anesthesiologist at the Policlinico San Donato here in Milan, which is part of the Lombardy region, the heart of the Italian coronavirus outbreak. On Feb. 21, the day on which the first case was recorded, our hospital, which specializes in cardiac surgery, offered to help with the care of patients with Covid-19. Along with other hospitals, we created a task force of intensive care doctors to be sent to hospitals in the “red zone.”

Opinion | I’m a Doctor in Italy. We Have Never Seen Anything Like This.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad