All Things AHL 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I was worried with the Bannister hire initially, and needless to say, I still am worried at this point.
Really? Obviously there’s plenty of reason to be worried at this point, but after SSM’s season last year, I was initially really excited about the Bannister hire...tho admittedly I don’t know a ton about his system/coaching philosophy/etc.

Reactions: Blueston

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Really? Obviously there’s plenty of reason to be worried at this point, but after SSM’s season last year, I was initially really excited about the Bannister hire...tho admittedly I don’t know a ton about his system/coaching philosophy/etc.
Well it mostly stems from what I saw in the OHL playoffs. I watched a little of the finals against Hamilton, not everything, but maybe 2 and half games. From what I saw, SSM had a stacked team and Bannister utilized the speed of the players, but I never felt like they were a team. It looked too much like a group of great parts standing out as opposed to a well oiled machine, if that makes any sense. Hamilton differed to Thomas almost gratuitously, but I could see a well implemented scheme on the defensive and offensive end. SSM reminded me of the BC team that lost to Jaden Schwartz' Colorado College back when the Frozen Four preliminaries were in St. Louis. BC had speed and skill, but very little in a discernible strategy that didn't involve the terms "run" and "gun".

I'm not giving up on Bannister, mind you. I used the term worry as a meaning of unease, not something equal to predictive failure. I view this situation as something akin to prospects jumping to the NHL. It's difficult, and the learning curve will take a bit to get used to. It's not like I've been watching Bannister for years and have come to this conclusion upon great research. I just think that Bannister knew a style that could work in juniors, but not so well in the professional settings.

Reactions: OSA and stl76

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
This isnt a "team" in any shape or form. There are 8-10 guys busting their butts and trying to make good things happen and the rest are playing for the name on the back of the jersey.

As has been stated, no one is willing to get off the walls and play in the center of the ice. And when they do get something in the circles, they either make bad passes or wait too long and get knocked off the puck. They are a slow team that plays dump and chase which doesnt work at this level.

Some things just from yesterday:

Before the game, the Jr. Rampage brought out a giant flag. All the Stars players and 4 of 6 Rampage players jumped in to hold the flag. Meanwhile Ryan Olson and Jordan Nolan stayed back. Olson looked indecisive and said something to Nolan, who didnt budge, and both stayed on the blue line.

Blais took an OZ faceoff after a Stars penalty call and barely bothered to put his stick on the ice. He lost the faceoff and half-heartedly tried to fight through the center taking himself out of the play and it led to a 2 on 1 coming back. About 15 seconds later he took a horrible interference call that was 100% avoidable if he had bothered to pay attention.

The penalty on Maceachern in the 3rd period happened in the DZ after the Rampage broke out and had a rush started. 30 feet behind the play and completely selfish. (And I'm a huge fan of 19)

Trailing by a goal with less than 3 mins left, the Rampage were playing dump and chase with Nolan-Olson-Thorburn and failing miserably.

Mitch Reinke is one of the worst penalty killing defenseman in recent memory and he plays ALL THE TIME.

The Rampage got a Too Many Men penalty when they pulled Husso because his replacement jumped on the ice while he was halfway between the circle and the bench. It wasnt even close.

After the penalty, the Rampage cleared the puck and Bannister left Husso in net. You are 3-11, losing by a goal, and you dont pull the goalie? What message does that send?

Reactions: Jessica

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
This isnt a "team" in any shape or form. There are 8-10 guys busting their butts and trying to make good things happen and the rest are playing for the name on the back of the jersey.

As has been stated, no one is willing to get off the walls and play in the center of the ice. And when they do get something in the circles, they either make bad passes or wait too long and get knocked off the puck. They are a slow team that plays dump and chase which doesnt work at this level.

Some things just from yesterday:

Before the game, the Jr. Rampage brought out a giant flag. All the Stars players and 4 of 6 Rampage players jumped in to hold the flag. Meanwhile Ryan Olson and Jordan Nolan stayed back. Olson looked indecisive and said something to Nolan, who didnt budge, and both stayed on the blue line.

Blais took an OZ faceoff after a Stars penalty call and barely bothered to put his stick on the ice. He lost the faceoff and half-heartedly tried to fight through the center taking himself out of the play and it led to a 2 on 1 coming back. About 15 seconds later he took a horrible interference call that was 100% avoidable if he had bothered to pay attention.

The penalty on Maceachern in the 3rd period happened in the DZ after the Rampage broke out and had a rush started. 30 feet behind the play and completely selfish. (And I'm a huge fan of 19)

Trailing by a goal with less than 3 mins left, the Rampage were playing dump and chase with Nolan-Olson-Thorburn and failing miserably.

Mitch Reinke is one of the worst penalty killing defenseman in recent memory and he plays ALL THE TIME.

The Rampage got a Too Many Men penalty when they pulled Husso because his replacement jumped on the ice while he was halfway between the circle and the bench. It wasnt even close.

After the penalty, the Rampage cleared the puck and Bannister left Husso in net. You are 3-11, losing by a goal, and you dont pull the goalie? What message does that send?
Interesting. Who are the 8-10 busting their butts?

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
How much of this is Bannister vs. trying for the kids to play in the failed System the blues were trying to use with man coverage,

Jessica

17 year Rampage sth
Jul 1, 2005
San Antonio, TX
I just went through each season's first 15 games, and this team is not the worst.

First 15 games and their affiliates:
2002-2003: 3-7-5, Panthers
2003-2004: 9-3-3, Panthers
2004-2005: 6-6-3, Panthers
2005-2006: 4-10-1, Coyotes
2006-2007: 5-10-0, Coyotes
2007-2008: 8-4-3, Coyotes
2008-2009: 2-12-1, Coyotes
2009-2010: 6-6-3, Coyotes and Ducks
2010-2011: 10-4-1, Coyotes
2011-2012: 6-9-0, Panthers
2012-2013: 4-9-2, Panthers
2013-2014: 7-7-1, Panthers
2014-2015: 9-6-0, Panthers
2015-2016: 9-1-5, Avalanche
2016-2017: 6-9-0, Avalanche
2017-2018: 9-5-1, Avalanche and Blues
2018-2019: 3-12-0, Blues

As y'all can see, the worst team through the first 15 is the 08-09 season. They ended that season with 78 points.

Reactions: JoshFromMO

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Will the @SARampage score today? Maybe one or two goals. Who will get the first? That is the important question. Who's it gonna be, fam?

Blais. More wishful thinking that he gets going than an actual prediction. I think it gutted him that he got sent down, but moping and playing like crap in the AHL is not the way to get a call back up.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I’ve seen very little of SA this season and only a couple games of SSM last season...but I watched all of the Traverse City games (which Bannister coached) and I constantly found myself questioning the strategy. At the time, I blew it off as likely lack of cohesion due to not much time for that group of players to all get on the same page but now I’m curious if Bannister is in over his head. I don’t have enough to go on myself but it is something I’m wondering now. He needs to get these guys playing inspired hockey.

Reactions: Blueston

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I’ve seen very little of SA this season and only a couple games of SSM last season...but I watched all of the Traverse City games (which Bannister coached) and I constantly found myself questioning the strategy. At the time, I blew it off as likely lack of cohesion due to not much time for that group of players to all get on the same page but now I’m curious if Bannister is in over his head. I don’t have enough to go on myself but it is something I’m wondering now. He needs to get these guys playing inspired hockey.
That’s an interesting point because on paper that Traverse City team was exceptionally talented and they got their doors blown off by lesser teams. I never really made that connection.

I don’t think SA is an extraordinarily talented squad, but I don’t think they’re the worst team in the AHL talent wise. Gotta get their shit together down there.

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
Well one way we can look at it is.. They are playing like the main club... so they got that going for them..

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I'm going to say that Kyrou will finally score a goal as a professional against a tended net, thus ensuring that his goal scoring drought continues for at least another 5 games.

Dammit, Mook!

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Well one way we can look at it is.. They are playing like the main club... so they got that going for them..

As bad as the Blues have been so far this season, they’re at least .500 in terms of pts %. SA is .200. The 2nd worst pt % in the AHL is .406. SA isn’t just playing poorly, they’re 3-12 record is far and away the worst.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Blais. More wishful thinking that he gets going than an actual prediction. I think it gutted him that he got sent down, but moping and playing like crap in the AHL is not the way to get a call back up.
Winner! Winner! Chicken dinner!

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Dang. I just checked to see if I won and saw he wasn't in lineup. Are we allowed to still blame the Wolves brass for his lack of production this year?
Nope lol, dude is approaching bustville. Still deserves a little rope as SA seems to generally be bad

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
anyone tracking the school day game? seems we had Kostin and some other Rampage throwing down.. how bad was it?

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I haven't had a chance to watch any of the Rampage games but can someone enlighten me how Mikkola is +6 while the second closest on the team is a few guys with a +1 ( with most having limited games).

I know plus minus isn't a great stat but you shouldn't exactly be +6 while the rest of your team especially the defensemen are like -8 or -11. Has he been playing that well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad