All Things AHL 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I haven't had a chance to watch any of the Rampage games but can someone enlighten me how Mikkola is +6 while the second closest on the team is a few guys with a +1 ( with most having limited games).

I know plus minus isn't a great stat but you shouldn't exactly be +6 while the rest of your team especially the defensemen are like -8 or -11. Has he been playing that well?

About the only context where +/- is useful, IMO, is deviation from the team. So having a player be that far apart from his team may be significant. I mean, you still have to look at usage and deployment, which is difficult if not impossible in the AHL. But that big of a margin is worth noting. Mikkola is almost definitely our next call-up if we get defensive injuries. I'd want him over Jerabek or Butler for sure.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
You win the title of "Dizee-in-training".

You call that a win? It reminds me of my first day of law-school. They gathered the first year students in small groups with a professor to tell us what to expect. Now imagine the most stereo typically stuffy professor you can, and that was the guy my group got. He ponderously says "Here at Washington University School of Law, we do no teach you the law. We teach you to think like a lawyer". Now at this point in my life I was quite the smart-ass (big change, huh?). Without really thinking about it, I blurted out "I'm already greedy and deceitful, can I graduate now?" The point of the story is, I didn't think I needed three years of training to be a scum-bag lawyer then. Do I really need "training" to be a pompous internet troll now?

Reactions: Memento

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
You call that a win? It reminds me of my first day of law-school. They gathered the first year students in small groups with a professor to tell us what to expect. Now imagine the most stereo typically stuffy professor you can, and that was the guy my group got. He ponderously says "Here at Washington University School of Law, we do no teach you the law. We teach you to think like a lawyer". Now at this point in my life I was quite the smart-ass (big change, huh?). Without really thinking about it, I blurted out "I'm already greedy and deceitful, can I graduate now?" The point of the story is, I didn't think I needed three years of training to be a scum-bag lawyer then. Do I really need "training" to be a pompous internet troll now?
Point taken. The word win should probably have been in quotes.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Would it benefit Husso to come up to the NHL to play some games? Maybe this team is just hot garbage and really needs an asswhoopin before we start blaming the goalies. Although, I haven't watched a Rampage game, so I really have no idea what's even going on down there.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
If you guys are sick of Husso, would you consider a swap with the Marlies? We could use a goalie and while Husso has struggled, anything is better than Glass. We have a pretty strong team but a goalie who is hardly even ECHL quality at this point. Maybe Husso can find his footing behind our team and help us fix our main hole right now.

If we gave up McAdam + Nielsen for Husso + one of Jerebek, Wotherspoon or Reinke, would you consider it? Nielsen was highly touted but needs a change of scenery. Big body, physical and has strong offensive tools (he can even QB a PP). Mostly just lacks defensive IQ and it makes his mediocre skating ability look worse. If you can figure out his IQ problem, and maybe improve his skating, you could have at least a valuable NHL bottom pairing guy on your hands.

I would assume if Husso is traded, Fitzpatrick comes up to the AHL (since he's done well in the ECHL) so McAdam can take his spot in the ECHL and provide some depth. We do not really care about the quality of defenseman coming back as long as they only have one year left. The guy would only rotate into a few games once in a while anyways. I just assumed if we gave up a defenseman you may want to dump one back on us.

Any thoughts?

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Husso will turn his ship. He had excatly same struggles with last season too. I'm not worried about at all.

Tho, it would be bad management to stick Binnington (25-years) and trade away Husso (23-years) away just for him not playing his top level yet. Toronto would get best laugh in couple years.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
If you guys are sick of Husso, would you consider a swap with the Marlies? We could use a goalie and while Husso has struggled, anything is better than Glass. We have a pretty strong team but a goalie who is hardly even ECHL quality at this point. Maybe Husso can find his footing behind our team and help us fix our main hole right now.

If we gave up McAdam + Nielsen for Husso + one of Jerebek, Wotherspoon or Reinke, would you consider it? Nielsen was highly touted but needs a change of scenery. Big body, physical and has strong offensive tools (he can even QB a PP). Mostly just lacks defensive IQ and it makes his mediocre skating ability look worse. If you can figure out his IQ problem, and maybe improve his skating, you could have at least a valuable NHL bottom pairing guy on your hands.

I would assume if Husso is traded, Fitzpatrick comes up to the AHL (since he's done well in the ECHL) so McAdam can take his spot in the ECHL and provide some depth. We do not really care about the quality of defenseman coming back as long as they only have one year left. The guy would only rotate into a few games once in a while anyways. I just assumed if we gave up a defenseman you may want to dump one back on us.

Any thoughts?

No thank you. Bottom pairing D-men are not exactly a pressing need for us, especially rehabilitation projects. Goalie is a huge need. While Husso is struggling, his upside is much higher for our team due to need. I'd rather hang on and hope his struggles are due to coaching/poor defense, and not on him. San Antonio's D has been terrible. Historically though, St. Louis hasn't needed a game-breaker in net who will bail the team out. Instead all we have wanted was a goalie who fits in a system and stops low-danger chances. That could still be Husso.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Would it benefit Husso to come up to the NHL to play some games? Maybe this team is just hot garbage and really needs an asswhoopin before we start blaming the goalies. Although, I haven't watched a Rampage game, so I really have no idea what's even going on down there.
Maybe @RampageNate can give us details about Husso.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
No thank you. Bottom pairing D-men are not exactly a pressing need for us, especially rehabilitation projects. Goalie is a huge need. While Husso is struggling, his upside is much higher for our team due to need. I'd rather hang on and hope his struggles are due to coaching/poor defense, and not on him. San Antonio's D has been terrible. Historically though, St. Louis hasn't needed a game-breaker in net who will bail the team out. Instead all we have wanted was a goalie who fits in a system and stops low-danger chances. That could still be Husso.

Well the idea would be that Nielsen is traded for a goalie so we can upgrade in net while you guys can upgrade on defense (in the AHL). Then Fitzpatrick can come up and play in the AHL where he belongs. If Nielsen can some day end up in the NHL, that would just be a bonus for you guys. We just have some good LD who are preventing Nielsen from getting the opportunities he should be getting, so we might as well trade him for something we will actually use rather than waste him in the pressbox. If you would rather give up Binnington because he has less NHL upside than Husso, then by all means swap them in the deal. I just thought because Binnington has more experience and has been doing better, you may want him more. We just need guys who can help out our AHL team, not guys with a ton of NHL upside, so we'd easily take Binnington over Husso.

Adding in McAdam for the defenseman just makes things balance from a depth perspective. Neither will likely have a noticeable impact on the other team, but I am sure St. Louis would not mind having a goalie in the ECHL to replace Fitzpatrick. The Marlies would probably like having a depth guy replacing Nielsen as well, even though he won't play more than a handful of games here or there.

If you would rather just run with your current defense and not trade a goalie (either Binnington or Husso) at all, then that would just be a straight no and we'd look elsewhere :P

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Well the idea would be that Nielsen is traded for a goalie so we can upgrade in net while you guys can upgrade on defense (in the AHL). Then Fitzpatrick can come up and play in the AHL where he belongs. If Nielsen can some day end up in the NHL, that would just be a bonus for you guys. We just have some good LD who are preventing Nielsen from getting the opportunities he should be getting, so we might as well trade him for something we will actually use rather than waste him in the pressbox. If you would rather give up Binnington because he has less NHL upside than Husso, then by all means swap them in the deal. I just thought because Binnington has more experience and has been doing better, you may want him more. We just need guys who can help out our AHL team, not guys with a ton of NHL upside, so we'd easily take Binnington over Husso.

Adding in McAdam for the defenseman just makes things balance from a depth perspective. Neither will likely have a noticeable impact on the other team, but I am sure St. Louis would not mind having a goalie in the ECHL to replace Fitzpatrick. The Marlies would probably like having a depth guy replacing Nielsen as well, even though he won't play more than a handful of games here or there.

If you would rather just run with your current defense and not trade a goalie (either Binnington or Husso) at all, then that would just be a straight no and we'd look elsewhere :P
I doubt you’ll find many here who want to trade NHL prospects to shore up the AHL team. Husso is still viewed (on this board) as the next starting goalie.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

Any thoughts?
The only goalie in the organization people are sick of is Jake Allen.

Husso is struggling but he's only 23.

If he's still playing the same way in a year from now, I might start to worry a little. But there's no way he'd be available for trade after a rough 10 games. He's had a good career up until this point.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

It's just a straight up no. We need one of Binnington, Husso or Fitzpatrick to hit. We are not giving up any of our lottery tickets unless we have to, and especially not for a LHS AHL D. Our entire pipeline is LHS AHL-calibre D. Even if Nielsen is better than they are, he is not better than Dunn, Edmundson or Gunnarsson. You don't trade a potential NHL need for a redundant AHL player, even if the AHL player would be the best one you have.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013

Any thoughts?

We need to keep Husso.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad