All Things AHL 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
He’s 19. Give it time.
That's very true, I'm still hopeful that he'll continue to develop. I'm more concerned if he's getting the necessary tools and proper coaching to evolve as a player. It sounds like he's playing hard and competing so that is a plus.

STLegend

Feb 20, 2010
Montanuh
I'm at the game again tonight, 1st period just ended. So far much more enjoyable to watch; fast paced and lots of hitting.

Blais with 2 great plays, one inside out on a defender and put it off the goalies toe. Then came in with speed down the boards, shook the defender and rung the post. Some fans were heckling Blais before a face off and he turns and smiles at them then says somethingthat gets them all banging on the glass.

Kyrou also with 2 good chances, SH breakaway at end of period that goalie played very well. Then a behind the net feed from Flynn that was shot into the goalie. Kyrou in the defensive zone is lost though, just floating around and lazy looking.

I really like Flynn centering Kyrou and Blais, last night it was Smith and they didnt look very good.

Nolan and Thorburn on a line together causing lots of disturbances, big hits and steals. Thorburn especially, out playing Stockton defense.

MacEchern with some nice forechecking and steals.

Kostin just looks lost so often, when he gets the puck he doesn't look bad but he rarely is in a position to help his linemates and doesnt utilize them well.

Binnington looks solid, good rebound control.

STLegend

Feb 20, 2010
Montanuh
Helluva 2nd period, 2 PP goals and 1 ES.

Butler saved a goal with a strong stick on puck. He has looked so solid, reliable play, i hope the young guys are learning from him.

Nifty hands by Kyrou on the PK, stickhandling in a telephone booth.

Walman with 2 bad penalties, high sticking, then he puts a guy in a headlock.

Kostin gets puck in Dzone then takes off through neutral, through 3 defenders behind the net and gives to defenseman. If it had been a give and go it could have been nice but the defender shot it into an opposing player.

Mikkola got rocked, goes and hits the guy back, then gets highsticked and no call.

Stevens not looking great, offsides, turnovers.

Reinke better than last night but he seems small.

Nolan nearly dumped guy into the bench then caught a elbow for his efforts. Was called roughing and we got a PP goal for it.

Who is Olsen? He had a nice goal.

And nice slapper by Jerabek on PP.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I'm at the game again tonight, 1st period just ended. So far much more enjoyable to watch; fast paced and lots of hitting.

Blais with 2 great plays, one inside out on a defender and put it off the goalies toe. Then came in with speed down the boards, shook the defender and rung the post. Some fans were heckling Blais before a face off and he turns and smiles at them then says somethingthat gets them all banging on the glass.

Kyrou also with 2 good chances, SH breakaway at end of period that goalie played very well. Then a behind the net feed from Flynn that was shot into the goalie. Kyrou in the defensive zone is lost though, just floating around and lazy looking.

I really like Flynn centering Kyrou and Blais, last night it was Smith and they didnt look very good.

Nolan and Thorburn on a line together causing lots of disturbances, big hits and steals. Thorburn especially, out playing Stockton defense.

MacEchern with some nice forechecking and steals.

Kostin just looks lost so often, when he gets the puck he doesn't look bad but he rarely is in a position to help his linemates and doesnt utilize them well.

Binnington looks solid, good rebound control.

Will you be there tomorrow as well?

STLegend

Feb 20, 2010
Montanuh
Binnington with some GREAT saves to keep the shutout. Even after Kostin throws it over the boards with just a couple minutes left for a delay of game penalty.

Kyrou with EN after skating puck out.

Jerabek with some smart plays in o-zone, not convinced on the d-side but he is good offensively. Kris Russel like.

Mikkola was running around a bit and put of position.

Started to get chippy late and was surprised to see Blais and Musil step up and confront some guys.

STLegend

Feb 20, 2010
Montanuh
Will you be there tomorrow as well?

That was the plan, but I think I've ruled out driving down to Bakersfield for 1 game. I've still got the rest of November left on this roadtrip and gotta be back in SJ later this month when blues come to town. So I think I'll head over to National Forest tomorrow to continue camping instead.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
That was the plan, but I think I've ruled out driving down to Bakersfield for 1 game. I've still got the rest of November left on this roadtrip and gotta be back in SJ later this month when blues come to town. So I think I'll head over to National Forest tomorrow to continue camping instead.

Fair enough! Enjoy your time there, it’s beautiful. I’ll be there tomorrow and likely the SJ game as well though.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
I’m not sure why Binnington always seems like an afterthought. He had a strong year last year and is putting up strong numbers again this year. I remember him being outstanding in the playoffs a few years ago for Chicago as well.

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

STLegend

Feb 20, 2010
Montanuh
I’m not sure why Binnington always seems like an afterthought. He had a strong year last year and is putting up strong numbers again this year. I remember him being outstanding in the playoffs a few years ago for Chicago as well.

I was sitting next to him last night (2nd row behind home goal) and remember thinking how much he looked like Allen.

I thought he was really impressive tonight. He nearly gave up his shutout late in the 3rd when he mishandled the puck going 1on1 with a Stockton forward. The heat scored on the play but it was waived off. There was another goal earlier also waived off bc ref intended to blow whistle I think.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO

He’s a Zach Sanford type, overperforming and underappreciated. He’s got a ton of skill and is more than capable of taking some NHL reps at this point. Husso may have a ton of upside, but so far he is getting drastically outplayed by Binny, imo. When Ville gives up a goal, another one will almost certainly follow shortly thereafter. It might be a version of the Allen/Elliott dichotomy where one guy is solid and reliable but the other guy is “potentially” the better goalie so our teams play a more secure game in front of one but leave the hard chances up for the other. Call it what you want, but Husso seems to be regressing yet again, and in a year where we can hardly afford it. Binnington may very well be the guy to take the reigns here.

Reactions: OSA

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
I was sitting next to him last night (2nd row behind home goal) and remember thinking how much he looked like Allen.

I thought he was really impressive tonight. He nearly gave up his shutout late in the 3rd when he mishandled the puck going 1on1 with a Stockton forward. The heat scored on the play but it was waived off. There was another goal earlier also waived off bc ref intended to blow whistle I think.

I followed him extensively several years ago while he was in the OHL. I always found him to be a strong positional goaltender with plenty of athleticism to make that all-important save when needed. If I’m honest though, I think he can be prone to wilting under pressure.

Anyway, I’m still pulling for him and hopefully the Blues consider giving him an opportunity at some point. I’d really like to see what he can do at the NHL level.

And I appreciate the updates! Keep em coming

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
He’s a Zach Sanford type, overperforming and underappreciated. He’s got a ton of skill and is more than capable of taking some NHL reps at this point. Husso may have a ton of upside, but so far he is getting drastically outplayed by Binny, imo. When Ville gives up a goal, another one will almost certainly follow shortly thereafter. It might be a version of the Allen/Elliott dichotomy where one guy is solid and reliable but the other guy is “potentially” the better goalie so our teams play a more secure game in front of one but leave the hard chances up for the other. Call it what you want, but Husso seems to be regressing yet again, and in a year where we can hardly afford it. Binnington may very well be the guy to take the reigns here.

I thought after that Utica series that it was only a matter of time until he was on the Blues roster. It must be pretty frustrating to play that well and then essentially get thrust behind the guy deemed to have more “potential”.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad