All Things AHL 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Jerabek cleared waivers. Glad to hear that. At least doesn't make the trade completely worthless, he should help the Rampage and is another depth guy in case of injuries.
Its always a relief when our new trade acquisition isn't wanted by the rest of the league for free. Whew!

I still don't understand the trade, but at least now there is a chance for him to try to be something for the Blues later. I think maybe this is a deal where they had his name on a list, had a very small window of time in which to ask, and they pulled the trigger to acquire him for a pittance. I will be shocked if he ever plays another game for St Louis.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Can Tucker even skate at the AHL level?

He’s improved a lot from last year, from what I can tell. He’s not going to be leading the rush too often, but I think he’ll probably be good enough to get by. His physicality and offensive ability (specifically his cannon of a shot and his puck moving ability) will have to be what carries him through though.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Does he have the lateral movement and does he transition well? I have heard he does not, but have never seen him play. All I have read, including by fans here is he can't skate and in todays NHL, that will kill you.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I was thinking that too. I just know they lack RHD.
True, I didn't think about that aspect. Then maybe Wotherspoon would be the other candidate to sit.

Hopefully we can give them Sundqvist soon, and who knows if Foley will ever be healthy but if we could send those 2 to them, San Antonio's roster might start looking decent.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Who gets sat for Jerabek out of Walman, Mikkola, LaLeggia, Wotherspoon, Butler, Reinke?
I am not sure if Jerabek is good enough to displace any of them. Being a RD helps him here, as they are lacking at that position. Reinke has been brutal, but he might stay because is is another RD. My guess is Laleggia is the odd man out, at least while Jerabek gets a look.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I am not sure if Jerabek is good enough to displace any of them. Being a RD helps him here, as they are lacking at that position. Reinke has been brutal, but he might stay because is is another RD. My guess is Laleggia is the odd man out, at least while Jerabek gets a look.
I have basically no insight to add here as I don't know a ton about any of the players discussed, but I just wanted to interject and say Jerabek is another lefty, not a righty. Butler is a guarantee as he's the captain and one of their better players, I would like to think Mikkola and Walman are locks due to their potentials, but I don't know. Wasn't Laleggia a forward at one point? Why are we playing him at D? So many questions. I just hope the Blues young guys get significant playing time, and with how the Blues are running the show rather than their awful partnership with the Wolves, I think there's a pretty good chance that happens. I think that includes Reinke too. No matter how bad he's been they will want him to play. Maybe the ECHL is an option? Has he been that bad to warrant a demotion?

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I have basically no insight to add here as I don't know a ton about any of the players discussed, but I just wanted to interject and say Jerabek is another lefty, not a righty. Butler is a guarantee as he's the captain and one of their better players, I would like to think Mikkola and Walman are locks due to their potentials, but I don't know. Wasn't Laleggia a forward at one point? Why are we playing him at D? So many questions. I just hope the Blues young guys get significant playing time, and with how the Blues are running the show rather than their awful partnership with the Wolves, I think there's a pretty good chance that happens. I think that includes Reinke too. No matter how bad he's been they will want him to play. Maybe the ECHL is an option? Has he been that bad to warrant a demotion?
Correct on Jerabek. I had forgotten he was a LD. This makes the trade for him even more unfathomable! Reinke, I agree, needs more playing time. He is only 22, and is our only RD prospect. Laleggia is indeed a converted forward, and he is 25. I doubt the Blues view him as being a higher priority than Reinke, Walman and Mikkola, so I still think he is the odd man out. Jerabek, however, is 27, and even though defensemen usually take more time to develop, I really think that what you see is what you get. He has previously had some success in international hockey, so perhaps he has a career in Europe?

Last edited:

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Does he have the lateral movement and does he transition well? I have heard he does not, but have never seen him play. All I have read, including by fans here is he can't skate and in todays NHL, that will kill you.
I watched him closely in several games from the Traverse City tournament and his skating was an enormous liability. He was beat wide regularly and there were multiple times he was simply unable to recover after mistakenly trying to break up a play/throw a hit/challenge a skater in the neutral zone.

Now granted this was a small sample size and it sounds like he's off to a good start to his season in junior. However I would personally would be extremely surprised if he was able to improve his skating to even a NHL bottom pairing acceptable level. His skating was really bad IMO.

Reactions: Bluesnatic27

STLegend

Feb 20, 2010
Montanuh
I was at the game tonight against SJ, laleggia playing at forward.

Blais was best player on the ice. Showed it with a nice forehand to backhand on a breakaway. Kyrou with a couple creative chances, including a no look backhand after going through 2 defenders.

Kostin was disappointing, couple bad turnovers and offsides, seemed to really care though. Kinda funny at the end of the game, some drunk dude was yelling f*** you at the boys walking into the tunnel and flipping them off. Kostin stops and stares the dude down and gives him a f*** you right back.

When given the chance Husso makes nice saves, they kept getting hemmed into their own zone and chasing the entire 2nd when SJ scored their 1st 2nd.

Nolan with a big check and then proceeeded to chirp with the whole SJ bench for a while.

Mikkola was all over the place, covers a lot of ground quickly. Very physical, and looking to turn the puck back the other way immediately. He is going to fit in well.

Musil was noticeable in how aggressive and quick he was.

Walman with a couple flashy plays but otherwise invisible.

MacEchern looked ok but he is playing with Kostin and they have no chemistry together.

yogintheaveragebears

May 23, 2015
I was at the game tonight against SJ, laleggia playing at forward.

Blais was best player on the ice. Showed it with a nice forehand to backhand on a breakaway. Kyrou with a couple creative chances, including a no look backhand after going through 2 defenders.

Kostin was disappointing, couple bad turnovers and offsides, seemed to really care though. Kinda funny at the end of the game, some drunk dude was yelling **** you at the boys walking into the tunnel and flipping them off. Kostin stops and stares the dude down and gives him a **** you right back.

When given the chance Husso makes nice saves, they kept getting hemmed into their own zone and chasing the entire 2nd when SJ scored their 1st 2nd.

Nolan with a big check and then proceeeded to chirp with the whole SJ bench for a while.

Mikkola was all over the place, covers a lot of ground quickly. Very physical, and looking to turn the puck back the other way immediately. He is going to fit in well.

Musil was noticeable in how aggressive and quick he was.

Walman with a couple flashy plays but otherwise invisible.

MacEchern looked ok but he is playing with Kostin and they have no chemistry together.
The kostin story makes it sound like a loss?

jura

booze & blues
Mar 29, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
RAMPAGE OPEN ROAD TRIP WITH LOSS TO BARRACUDA

SAN JOSE, CA (Nov. 2, 2018) – Sammy Blais notched his first goal of the season to snap Josef Korenar's shutout bid but it wasn't enough for the San Antonio Rampage (2-9-0), as they fell 3-1 to the San Jose Barracuda (8-1-1) at SAP Center on Friday night to open their three-game trip through California.

Brian Flynn, playing in his 400thprofessional game, forced a turnover in the neutral zone that sent Blais in on a breakaway for a backhander over Korenar's blocker at 15:23 of the third period, Blais' first point since he was assigned to the Rampage from the St. Louis Blues, cutting the deficit to 3-1. The Rampage would pull the goaltender but could not beat Korenar again, as he made saves on Trevor Smith and Joey LaLeggia late to close out his fifth win of the season.

After a scoreless first period, Lukas Radil put the Barracuda in front with his first AHL goal at 1:03 of the second. Maxim Letunov escaped from the penalty box and chased down the puck in the Rampage zone for a breakaway chance on Rampage goaltender Ville Hussso. Husso made the save, followed by another save immediately after on a point shot from defenseman Keaton Middleton, but Husso could not recover for Radil's rebound and a 1-0 Barracuda lead.

Evan Weinger made it 2-0 Barracuda at 8:25 of the second, again finishing a drive to the net from Letunov. Husso made a pad save on a wrap-around try from Letunov, but Weinger found the rebound and beat Husso with a turn-around shot from the left circle through a crowd of legs to extend the Barracuda advantage.

At 2:57 of the third period, Jeffrey Viel made it 3-0 Barracuda with his first professional goal. A left-point shot from Jake Middleton was blocked in front, and Viel swatted the rebound towards Husso. The puck bounced off a Rampage player before ticking off the post and over the goal line.

Jordan Kyrou and Jakub Jerabek made their Rampage debuts, with Kyrou logging two shots on goal and a plus-1 rating.

The Rampage continue their road trip on Saturday night at Stockton Arena in search of their first road victory, taking the ice for their first meeting of the season with the Stockton Heat. Puck-drop is scheduled for 8 p.m. CT, with the game available on The Ticket 760AM and on AHLTV.

RAMPAGE STATS:

Goals: Blais (1)

Ville Husso: 30 saves on 33 shots

Power Play: 0-for-2

Penalty Kill: 2-for-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad