All the Haag hate?

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
Like I always say, he only needs to get better at outlet passes and then he will be a solid bottom pairing d-man. And he needs to get caught less in the offensive zone as well.

Reactions: Adtar02

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Sanheim is this:
image.php

He needs to become this:

th

Case closed.
It's not about Hagg, it's about

th
NOBODY needs to become Remake Robocop. You freaking heathen.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Was just reading the other thread conversation about cheap shot deterrents and wondered something about Hagg, so I figured I’d keep the Hagg conversation to this thread so there’s no more complaining about this specific repetitive topic interrupting the other endlessly repetitive topics.

Obviously we all know he’s indefensibly overused and overwhelmed.... but is it because:

a) Hakstols dumb enough to think he’s actually good at hockey

b) Hakstol knows he sucks at hockey but is dumb enough to think his hitting is some kind of intangible help/deterrent. Enough to make up for how terrible he is at everything else?

c) mix of both

No matter the answer, Hakstols obviously a terrible coach... but I wonder which it is.

Reactions: kelmitchell

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hagg is his only physical defender since Gudas had his cut off by the league, hopefully they'll grow back.

Myers will add a physical dimension once he joins the team, as will Morin.
So Hagg has to improve as a skater and puck handler to keep a job past this season.
The same way Sanheim has to get stronger, smarter and more physical to be more than a 3rd line D-man.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
The bolded is the issue. You acknowledge that Hagg is not a good player. But at the same time, say that others need to earn their playing time.

The hate for Hagg is because he was not held to the same standard. HE NEVER EARNED HIS PLAYING TIME.

But you ignore that.
Look our depth on defense was still shit at beginning of the year and have had legit great training camp where he looked legit good playing alongside provorov. There's nothing wrong with him making the team. The problem was Manning playing over Sanheim and Sanheim not getting a bigger role while Hagg being used less and less as the season wore on. They ve been handled in exact polar opposite way they should be, or so called Hakstol logic.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Manning was better than Sanheim the first half of the season.
When Sanheim returned, he was an improved player, while Manning slipped a bit the second half.

Fans here loved to hate on Manning, but when Nashville and Chicago compete to sign him as a free agent, maybe people here just don't have a clue? It's not the same as a bidding war between Vancouver and Edmonton.

We had 5 3rd pair defensemen last year, none of whom were worthy of 2nd pair minutes, each of which had different skill sets and weaknesses.

Daveyyaunce

Jun 23, 2017
Philadelphia
Manning was better than Sanheim the first half of the season.
When Sanheim returned, he was an improved player, while Manning slipped a bit the second half.

Fans here loved to hate on Manning, but when Nashville and Chicago compete to sign him as a free agent, maybe people here just don't have a clue? It's not the same as a bidding war between Vancouver and Edmonton.

We had 5 3rd pair defensemen last year, none of whom were worthy of 2nd pair minutes, each of which had different skill sets and weaknesses.

The same teams gave contracts to Rinaldo and Kunitz. Antiquated hockey beliefs plague all teams.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Except when two organizations are proven winners, maybe there's something to those beliefs?
An organization that consistently fields top teams probably has a clue.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Oh stop it. We hated Manning for the same reason we hate Hagg: because they played obnoxiously more than they should/were the ones blocking a guy like Sanhiem for some reason.

Both Manning and Hagg more #6/7 with Manning being more #7ish but here Hagg was used more like a #4 and Manning was seeing like 17 minutes a night. Both were vastly overmatched game in and game out and what does Hekstop do? Rolls em out there each night to get trounced over and over.

You go and preach about how we don't have a clue because Manning got signed by a "winner" but who won't have a clue when he's in a suit every game

Last edited:
Reactions: Striiker

hockeyphan25

Aug 28, 2005
Hakstol is obsessed with preventing goals. He thinks Hagg is one of his best defenders.

I know there are fancy stats that don't support it but just from watching the games, Hagg did look like one of our better defenders. If they would have kept him and Ghost together, I think the Flyers would have finished a few points better and likely wouldn't have been as embarrassed in the playoffs if he was there and healthy.

For me, he would have been the Flyers rookie of the year. And yes he does have pro experience, simlilar to Lindlom but can still improve with experience just like Lindblom.

I also think (while it won't likely be tapped under Hakstol or while on a team that desperately needs a defenseve D), that he has a littly more offensive potential. The few times he's pushed it offensively, he's been successful. Granted the other teams were caught off guard.

I will say that Morin looked like the Pronger lite comparison wasn't that far off in a couple of his preseason games last year so I'm not sure how Hagg or Sanheim made the team ahead of him. From there Hagg played well and Morin got injured and didn't stand out the same afterward.

I for one, am excited to see how much Hagg improves this year. I do find it strange how much a rookie is criticized after playing pretty well as our 4th best D prospect coming in to last year.

Reactions: Larry44

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Have the Flyers ever — in franchise history— had a rookie who was more despised by a vocal portion of its fan base than Hagg?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Me, I'll just wait for training camp, funny thing about young players, sometimes they improve, sometimes they don't, but the only way to find out is when they hit the ice.

I saw enough in Hagg that I'd do exactly what Ron did, sign him to a low cost contract, see if he improves, see if Morin ever becomes a player, see how Ginning progresses - because the Flyers are always going to have 1-2 physical defensemen to pair with their "marshmallow" offensive defensemen. Ron likes balance on his roster. If he could find six Provorovs and Myers he'd go with that (or 5 plus Ghost for the PP1), but in the real world he has to make compromises.

When Ron let Manning walk, he was opening a spot for Sanheim, or if he falters, at some point Myers, on the 2nd pair.
Ideally, Sanheim and Gudas play much better than last year and lock that spot down.
Hagg and MacDonald may then start the year at the 3rd pair, but I'd bet on MacDonald/Myers by January.
I think they'd want MacDonald with Myers as a mentor for the rookie.

If Myers comes up, then Ron will probably move Hagg or MacDonald at the TDL to a team that lost a defenseman to injury.
And Morin will be stashed when he returns, maybe have a couple games to get a taste of the NHL, but really just to get him ready for 2019-20.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I just want to see Sanheim stronger on the puck. His softness is aggravating when you combine it with his turnovers & lack of offensive production. I love his physical talent. But he’s aggravating to watch a lot of the time when he’s not flashing a glimpse of his raw ability.

Reactions: captainpaxil

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
But Striker is correct, so if people want to stop being corrected then they should stop saying stupid and incorrect things.
If there’s one thing you can say about Striiker, he has an abundance of confidence in the infallibility of his own opinion & a steadfast adherence to the belief that the world is black & white with no shades of gray.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If there’s one thing you can say about Striiker, he has an abundance of confidence in the infallibility of his own opinion & a steadfast adherence to the belief that the world is black & white with no shades of gray.
You can keep repeating this, but it will remain false.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
But Striker is correct, so if people want to stop being corrected then they should stop saying stupid and incorrect things.
Your problem is you are obsessed by it and can't let it go whether your are right or not . I'm not a big fan of his either but someone is welcome to another opinion no biggy i just move on .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad