All-Star Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
There's 3 number 91's on Team Toews. If they are gonna let that happen, then let the players wear their normal jerseys.

Or at least have the centre crest of the jersey as the players team.

The jerseys might sell a little better too...

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
What line is Frank on? I know he's with Getz, but who's the 3rd on their line?

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Not sure who is the third player on the line.

Trying to stay awake, but struggling with this commentator.

Freyj

Oct 5, 2012
This is worse than I can recall. Love seeing Frank Ells and Shatty play, but not sure I can make it through all of this game.

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012
Thought i would check in on the game because it is raining here and nothing at all on the TV today. This game should really be scrapped by the NHL b/c it holds zero entertainment value nowadays. Just Brutal and doesn't even resemble a hockey game. What was wrong with the old east v.s west format? You got guys all over the place playing a pick up street hockey game now. Sadly the NHL has gone the way of the NBA and NFL in that it looks like these events are aimed at the 7-12 year old age group. EMBARRASSING!

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Thought i would check in on the game because it is raining here and nothing at all on the TV today. This game should really be scrapped by the NHL b/c it holds zero entertainment value nowadays. Just Brutal and doesn't even resemble a hockey game. What was wrong with the old east v.s west format? You got guys all over the place playing a pick up street hockey game now. Sadly the NHL has gone the way of the NBA and NFL in that it looks like these events are aimed at the 7-12 year old age group. EMBARRASSING!

yeah man not enough dumping and chasing or defensive schemes. Back during the East vs West days did you ever see Gretzky or Hull or Bure just going for a cool move instead of getting the puck deep? No sir. If they really wanted to make this a good game they'd have the winning conference get home ice advantage in the SCF

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Are you being serious? The game wasn't any different when they did East vs West.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
It's not changed much. We did used to see more individual skill on display rather than being so pass heavy. Hopefully we some more different things in the second.

LGB51

Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
yeah man not enough dumping and chasing or defensive schemes. Back during the East vs West days did you ever see Gretzky or Hull or Bure just going for a cool move instead of getting the puck deep? No sir. If they really wanted to make this a good game they'd have the winning conference get home ice advantage in the SCF

Yep, that really makes this type of game mean something. Just like the MLB All-Star game, oh **** Kane just schooled Crawford lol. Tarasenko with 2 assists now, plus Shatty with a goal tonight.

LGB51

Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Frank with his 3rd assist I believe, although that was his first A that wasn't the primary.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Of all the players that Penguins fans probably don't want to see in this game it is Fleury. Start by talking about how he is leading the League in shutouts, then we get a period of how he'll look in the playoffs...

PitchDoug

Nov 27, 2011
The older I get, the more I enjoy these events. I think the NHL and the players are doing a better and better job with the event. The fantasy draft on day 1 was actually good tv and you could tell the players were legitimately having fun (open bar helps). But I loved seeing them all interact with one another and have fun. NHL, more than the other sports, benefits from showcasing the players personalities. I enjoy it.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Yeah, but the draft was much better entertainment than the game. I don't have any interest (outside statistical analysis) in the NBA, but I imagine that their All Star game is all about flashy plays and you'll get a good highlight reel out of it.

There isn't a lot of really flashy plays here. I'm sure it's a lot of fun for the players... but if the game is going to be meaningless, then try and get as much skill in there as possible. Probably the only thing the KHL does better.

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012
Are you being serious? The game wasn't any different when they did East vs West.

We will have to disagree here. They used to at least get in a shooters way and fight for space more. The game now looks like a Globetrotters v.s Generals event.

I think you also lose something in the meaning of the game. In the old Wales v Cambells tilts there was some bragging right attached to it at least. Plus the new format breaks up teammates so you lose that chemistry between a Benn and Seguin just as an example. Whether Benn is participating or not is not the point. This format makes it moot to begin with. Guys would be more likely to play if it meant something too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia