All-Star Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Ya, it's mildly entertaining, I could easily go without the gimmick shootout challenge one though

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I loved Ovechkin throughout the whole thing. He was hilarious, and his little bromance going on with Tarasenko was cool too.

Let's face it, without guys like Ovechkin and Subban (I know he wasn't there this year) it would be pretty boring. Guys like Patrick Kane think they are an entertaining personality, but he's not.

Mzeppelin1

Apr 26, 2014
I just like watching fantasy lines play that you would never see in a game that mattered. like the 91 line

Tavares-Seguin-Tarasenko

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
My only complaint is that there was too much passing. Probably because nobody wants to be that guy who appears to be trying too hard. But other than that it was fun.

Also to the guy who said Triumph, I wish. Rik Emmett is one of my favorite guitar players and singers. But I'm pretty sure they are retired

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The event s are meant for the players and little kids, and it succeeds for them. People that complain about it just think it was better when we were younger, but it wasn't. I won't watch, but that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the event.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
The highlight for me was Sutter's son (with Down Syndrome) on the bench in a coat and tie, getting in Ovechkin's face and trying to rally the team from 4 goals down. He was intense, and it was awesome.

Maybe its not truly different from other sports, but I feel like hockey players are more in touch with fans. I can't imagine a moment like that from an NBA team or the NFL.

I also loved Toews drafting Kessel with his first pick because he is "very coachable". Kind of digging at the media chumfest that revolves around Toronto.

Oh, and also loved when Johnny Gaudreu was taken out to do the shoot-out shot like he was a little kid. Even my wife laughed, and she doesn't really care about hockey.

And no one was injured in the event, as far as I know.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Exactly, it's an event, not a game and that's something that people don't realize. Sutter's son, Johansen including the kid, and Elliott taking some selfies with young fans is what it's about. That's how you make fans for life.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
The highlight for me was Sutter's son (with Down Syndrome) on the bench in a coat and tie, getting in Ovechkin's face and trying to rally the team from 4 goals down. He was intense, and it was awesome.

Maybe its not truly different from other sports, but I feel like hockey players are more in touch with fans. I can't imagine a moment like that from an NBA team or the NFL.

I also loved Toews drafting Kessel with his first pick because he is "very coachable". Kind of digging at the media chumfest that revolves around Toronto.

Oh, and also loved when Johnny Gaudreu was taken out to do the shoot-out shot like he was a little kid. Even my wife laughed, and she doesn't really care about hockey.

And no one was injured in the event, as far as I know.

This was the first time I had ever not dislike Toews. He actually showed some personality and the Kessel thing was great.

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012
You know you guys could always just not watch it...... fairly simple solution

Wonder why no one thought of that? Thanks for the advice. Part of the problem is that hockey played at full speed, with full effort is a fantastic thing. It is hard if not impossible for the NHL to Ever make an exhibition like this in the middle of the season palatable. This has always been true but now i feel like i should by a 12$ bag of red vines at the counter before i view this game. Maybe it is my fault for expecting a competitive show but i miss the old NHL. Players never played at full speed but at least took some pride in their showing now even the game is somewhat of a skills competition. It is almost sacrilegious to see a great game reduced to an event rather than a competition. I would LOVE to see a new format and a better effort but if not i will continue to tune out. Just my two cents. This is the All star game thread right?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
You're entitled to your opinion but I just don't get why anyone cares about All-Star games or complains about them. This goes for any sport. It's simply just not a big deal considering it's an absolutely meaningless game.

I think the Pro Bowl is the worst of them all. So therefore I never watch it. And it doesn't bother me at all.

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012
You're entitled to your opinion but I just don't get why anyone cares about All-Star games or complains about them. This goes for any sport. It's simply just not a big deal considering it's an absolutely meaningless game.

I think the Pro Bowl is the worst of them all. So therefore I never watch it. And it doesn't bother me at all.

The game doesn't bother me, i just don't watch. However the title of this thread is "All star game discussion" I could ask why me being critical of the game bothers YOU Bluedream? You call it meaningless and i agree but it was not always that way. It never meant a lot but certainly the game itself has taken a long drive off a short cliff. Many of the best players on the planet are there, why not make a game out of it? Just saying it could be much, much better.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
The game doesn't bother me, i just don't watch. However the title of this thread is "All star game discussion" I could ask why me being critical of the game bothers YOU Bluedream? You call it meaningless and i agree but it was not always that way. It never meant a lot but certainly the game itself has taken a long drive off a short cliff. Many of the best players on the planet are there, why not make a game out of it? Just saying it could be much, much better.
Because it's just not worth it to make a game out of it. There's no point in risking an injury or anything like that for a meaningless game to be honest. The fans have to take a back seat on that one.

I really can't think of ways to make it better without risking a player's health. What ideas are there?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Don't forget the notion that teammates might play against each other. It could turn into a **** show real quick If someone hits someone else hard and his AS teammates go after him.

The game is made for players to have have. You know what it is going to be like, you don't like the format, then don't watch it. Complaining is pointless

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The only way for the players to try is to make it West vs East and make them play for home-ice in the Stanley Cup Finals just like in baseball. I don't want to see that happen though. No fan of a contender would want that.

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012
Don't forget the notion that teammates might play against each other. It could turn into a **** show real quick If someone hits someone else hard and his AS teammates go after him.

The game is made for players to have have. You know what it is going to be like, you don't like the format, then don't watch it. Complaining is pointless

So what your saying is if you don't like something keep it to yourself, no need to comment. That is Very interesting. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad