Post-Game Talk: All Sid and Geno's fault. Sid and Geno lose, 3-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Yeah another huge problem that's on coaching, THE PENS ONLY PLAY 20 MINUTES OF HOCKEY A NIGHT! They never play a full 60 minute game. Last night they only played in the 1st period, in Game 3 they only played in the 3rd period.

THIS TEAM IS ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
If you listen closely you can actually hear it happen when he was misplaying the puck.

There's a difference between misplaying the puck and having it bounce poorly. The tying goal was a case of the latter - it's not that Fleury misplayed it, it's that it took a last minute change of direction on him.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
The only reason I could still see a deep run is because I don't feel the competition in the East is all that good until a potential matchup with Boston that'd have to happen at the Conference Finals.

Even if we look like crap doing it, I still believe the Pens are a good bet to win against any team in the East. Except the Bruins.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
The thing is, who do you play next?

Zatkoff is Fleury version 2.0 and Vokoun has 2 games of competitive hockey under his belt since last year's playoffs.

Unless Vokoun gets into a groove right away for Game 5, the Pens are pretty ****ed right now.

What makes you, or others, say that? Everyone said Fleury was toast after game 3 and he came out and played his best playoff game in years in game 4. He was literally one bad hop away from being hailed a hero for stealing the game.

There's absolutely no reason he can't go out there and pitch back-to-back shutouts in games 5 and 6, but everyone is too pessimistic to believe it can happen.

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008
There's a difference between misplaying the puck and having it bounce poorly. The tying goal was a case of the latter - it's not that Fleury misplayed it, it's that it took a last minute change of direction on him.

There was no reason for him to leave the net in that situation.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Fleury didn't get 40 wins this season.

Well, only one goalie did with Fleury coming in second. So I'd hardly count that as a strike against him. But it's also evidence that "your average goalie" likely couldn't win 40 games for the Pens or any other team.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008

Isn't it weird that these types of bounces always seem to happen to Fleury? Maybe it's not bad luck anymore, maybe he's just an idiot who puts himself in terrible situations far too often. Does that happen if Fleury just sits in his net and lets the defense take care of the dump-in? Was it really that hard of a dump that Fleury had to go out and slow/stop it for his D-men to take it and clear it? Nah, he's just a schmuck. No more excuses. Bad luck doesn't exist, he puts himself in situations to fail. He has his entire career, and always will.

Fleury3434*

Jan 14, 2013
Orpik has played well this series.

Craig Adams even looked good last night.

Crosby and Malkin have been putting up a point per game, despite not scoring.

Neal and Kunitz scored.

Secondary scoring has been great.

The D has shut down Columbus for long stretches of time.. including the final 10 last night.

The problems that cost them the game are as follows:

1. Fleury
2. Bad officiating

Bad officiating was to call Kunitz for embellishment and Neal for interference. basically turning a likely 4-0 situation into a 3-1 situation.

The team can rebound from this if they are willing to switch goaltenders. Same exact situation as vs the Isles last year.
Who are you putting in? A rookie in zatkoff who has choked in the AHL playoffs before? Or TV, the goalie who has a blood clot this year and hasn't played a single NHL game all season. Sorry no matter how bad fleury messed up last game (which he did) I'd still take fleury 10 times out of 10 when looking at the other two goalies this year

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010
Who are you putting in? A rookie in zatkoff who has choked in the AHL playoffs before? Or TV, the goalie who has a blood clot this year and hasn't played a single NHL game all season.

When the alternative is the worst playoff goaltender in the history of the game, any of those will do.

Fleury3434*

Jan 14, 2013
I'm totally ok with people blaming fleury for giving up the tieing goal and especially the overtime win. But to blame the reason why the pens are tied 2/2 in the series totally on fleury is overlooking the true problems with this team. No heart or desperation at all is the reason why the pens are in this situation. I can could on one hand the amount of periods I thought were welled played by the pens this series: three total periods (I'll be nice and say four). You aren't winning a series pylon one good period a game no matter what goalie is in net.

Last edited:

Fleury3434*

Jan 14, 2013
When the alternative is the worst playoff goaltender in the history of the game, any of those will do.

You do realize fleury was one unlucky bounce away from playing a stellar game last night right? Third tieing goal was an unlucky bounce just like the first goal was. Yes fleury probably should have stayed in his net; but the fact is puck clearly took a weird bounce over his stick then right to dubi in the slot between two pens trying to block it for the tieing goal. Yes the OT goal was straight trash I'll admit that

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Yeah another huge problem that's on coaching, THE PENS ONLY PLAY 20 MINUTES OF HOCKEY A NIGHT! They never play a full 60 minute game. Last night they only played in the 1st period, in Game 3 they only played in the 3rd period.

THIS TEAM IS ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC

They play how they practice. Only 1/3 of the time, if that.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
1. Fleury
2. Bad officiating

Bad officiating was to call Kunitz for embellishment and Neal for interference. basically turning a likely 4-0 situation into a 3-1 situation.

The team can rebound from this if they are willing to switch goaltenders. Same exact situation as vs the Isles last year.
But we have had a competent backup last year, that´s the difference. For me, the biggest reason of this loss were the refs. Diving call on Kunitz was a BS sentimental call because the refs didn´t want to see CBJ down 0-4. Then 3 more BS calls followed, including a 2 minute 5 on 3. And remember that non-call on Johansen where he broke Crosby´s stick in a great scoring chance? That´s pathetic.

The refs completely changed the momentum in the game. We still should´ve win the game, but there is ZERO chance that the Jackets make that comeback without that HUGE BOOST from the refs.

I have a feeling that we will get some calls our way at home. I can´t imagine this circus against us in OUR arena.

As for the 3rd period.. Pens played passive but they protected that lead quite well. Then Fleury took control of the game. Hard to blame Bylsma for this game. It´s all officiating & FLeury. For me, officiating was the bigger factor, but yeah.

Fleury3434*

Jan 14, 2013
**** happens...pens are tied 2/2...so are the ducks with Dallas...so are the Blackhawks with the blues. It's best to 2 now and pens have 2 home games I still like our chances still. But if people want to be pessimistic that's totally cool too (doesn't sound very fun though honestly)

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010
You do realize fleury was one unlucky bounce away from playing a stellar game last night right? Third tieing goal was an unlucky bounce just like the first goal was. Yes fleury probably should have stayed in his net; but the fact is puck clearly took a weird bounce over his stick then right to dubi in the slot between two pens trying to block it for the tieing goal. Yes the OT goal was straight trash I'll admit that

Exactly. We all could see the brown substance dripping from his pants the second overtime started. And history taught us, that he's not the kind of guy that just shakes these things off. He's done.

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
I'm totally ok with people blaming fleury for giving up the tieing goal and especially the overtime win. But to blame the reason why the pens are tied 2/2 in the series totally on fleury is overlooking the true problems with this team. No heart or desperation at all is the reason why the pens are in this situation. I can could on one hand the amount of periods I thought were welled played by the pens this series: three total periods out of four (I'll be nice and say four). You aren't winning a series pylon one good period a game no matter what goalie is in net.

No it's not. The team did enough to win scoring those three goals. Fleury gave it away.

Are there other problems? Sure. But Fleury gave it away last night.

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008
I'm totally ok with people blaming fleury for giving up the tieing goal and especially the overtime win. But to blame the reason why the pens are tied 2/2 in the series totally on fleury is overlooking the true problems with this team. No heart or desperation at all is the reason why the pens are in this situation. I can could on one hand the amount of periods I thought were welled played by the pens this series: three total periods out of four (I'll be nice and say four). You aren't winning a series pylon one good period a game no matter what goalie is in net.

Nobody should pretend that this team hasn't played like *******, but Fleury is directly responsible for where this series is. The Penguins went into a purely defensive position for the last 5+ minutes of the game. Aside from one opportunity, they did a good job(with help from CBJ) of keeping the puck out of the dangerous areas of the ice. All they needed was for their goalie not to make a mistake. In the playoffs, every play is magnified. Fleury blew it twice in a big way. The series went from 3-1 to 2-2 just like that.

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
Fleury should never play for the Pittsburgh Penguins again. End of story. The regular season means nothing. He loses his mind in the playoffs. He should be done.

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
Nobody should pretend that this team hasn't played like *******, but Fleury is directly responsible for where this series is. The Penguins went into a purely defensive position for the last 5+ minutes of the game. Aside from one opportunity, they did a good job(with help from CBJ) of keeping the puck out of the dangerous areas of the ice. All they needed was for their goalie not to make a mistake. In the playoffs, every play is magnified. Fleury blew it twice in a big way. The series went from 3-1 to 2-2 just like that.

Bolded X 1000

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Last night's game is proof that fleury gives up one soft goal per game. He has been in the NHL since 2003 and has no clue on how to handle the puck behind the net (similar to Scuds with puck handling skills). Every time Fleury handles the puck its an adventure and the adventure turned sour last night.

Fleury3434*

Jan 14, 2013

Again I said I totally agree; fleury blew it. Fact is there are bigger problems with this team AS A WHOLE then just fleury. I've seen the same **** every game. Pens have played THREE good period ALL SERIES. Other than last nights tieing goal and OT goal, fleury was awesome! If you play a full 60 minaune it never comes down to only being up a goal with a min left. If your powerplay scores a goal when it's 3-0 it's basically game over. There are other problems with this team; yes fleury blew it last night; but going forward I'm more worried about the pens heart and determination as a team cause that's what is gonna decide this series. Yes fleury blew the game last night. Did he blow the series? That has yet to be seen. It's 2/2...fleury could come out and play great like he has played all series other than the last minutes of last game or he could come out and totally choke the next two games away. Honestly even being a fleury supporter I don't know what to think is going to happen. But fleury blew the game; he hasn't blown the SERIES 'yet' ;)

VirginiaBob

TradingSystemsGroup

Agreed, say what you want about the Pens lackluster play for a large portion of the game, but what I saw in that last 6-8 minutes in the 3rd period was pretty much a team defense masterpiece. It was probably one of the best defensive efforts by the Penguins against a team during the last 5 years playoffs. They had this game, but then Fluery had to do what he does.

Kharkov

Jun 28, 2013
Zatkoff or Vokoun arent good options. Maybe give Zatkoff chance to gather experience and hope that he does good job. After this season get rid off Fleury. It might be pricey to do so, but it must be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad