Post-Game Talk: All Sid and Geno's fault. Sid and Geno lose, 3-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Every one says don't blame the refs for the loss. Ok fine, even though the refs put their whistles away, the pens minus fleury should still have won the game 3-2.

You say the refs don't affect the outcome of the game.
Here is an example. In the flyer series, Briere scores a goal when he was clearly offside. They go on to win the game in OT. Next game, I believe the Pens were up either 2-1 or 3-1 and on the power play. Bryz makes a fantastic save on Letang, Letang gets crosschecked. A penalty is called on the Fly D and Letang for embellishing. The pens should have had a 5 on 3 but the refs wanted to give the Flies a chance and they took advantage the same as last night.

The REFS affect the outcomes of games PERIOD.

They do affect the outcomes of games, yeah, sure. However you can't blame them for how we have been playing in the playoffs for the last 3-4 years. The same issues are popping up everytime. That's not one or two random games in which the refs cost us, it is years of failures. Blaming the refs for the way our team is playing is Pejorative Slured. Sure, they made some bad calls yesterday, but it doesn't change the fact that we played like dogs for 40 minutes. We stopped trying and fell in "prevent" mode. Fleury kept us in it for 39 and a half minutes than choked.

That's what happened. Blaming the refs is playing the excuse game and I refuse to do that.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I'm adding to the conversation by giving stats. If you are goin to say just stop tell me why my stats and logic are wrong at least. I mean I admitted fleury ****ed up big time last night and cost a 3-1 series lead. But explain why he sucks? Cause stats say different this series

THE FOLIGNO GOAL!

My God. Do you really want to go back to a goaltender with the fragile mind of a two-year-old girl right now???

Let's say we accept the tying goal blunder. OK, he came out, it hopped over his stick. Egregious error. Ties the game. Heading to OT.

He had PLENTY OF TIME to get over it, get his head out of his ass and back into this series. Instead, when the team needed him most, with Columbus having all the momentum early in OT, what does he do? He gives up one of his worst goals ever, and THAT is a long list.

You can't use STATS to tell the Marc-Andre Fleury story. Seriously?

EDIT: AND, your precious Fleury's playoff stats now read like this: 3.18 GAA, .903 Sv%. That would have worked in 1988. Not today. What are we even talking about here???

Fleury3434*

Jan 14, 2013
This whole forum is nonsense sometimes...everyone jump off the ****ing bridge series is tied 2-2...so are a bunch of other series...no wonder other teams think our fanbase is one of the worst in the league. Best of three with 2 at home...I still like our chances

wolffy66

Dec 16, 2009
Game one: fleury .912 save percentage on 34 shots...game two: .911 save percentage on 45 shots...game 3: fleury .850 save percentage on 20 shots (still won)...game 4 : fleury .913 save percentage on 46 shots (blew it in last min choked hard)...

But to say those game are "average"? I'd def say he's been playing well...to say he's "done" might be true...but it might not be; maybe he can pull another great performance you have no idea it goes both ways. But of course no one will be convinced until it happens which I totally understand and honestly I won't be either haha

Had to put the save percentages cause based on the comments I'm Not even sure some of you are smart enough to do basic math so I made it easy for you

OK so he is around 11th in save%. That's actually below average but don't let that deter you.

PS Bobrovsky who has been hailed as having a terrible playoffs so far is 3 % points behind the amazing MAF.

Fleury3434*

Jan 14, 2013
THE FOLIGNO GOAL!

My God. Do you really want to go back to a goaltender with the fragile mind of a two-year-old girl right now???

Let's say we accept the tying goal blunder. OK, he came out, it hopped over his stick. Egregious error. Ties the game. Heading to OT.

He had PLENTY OF TIME to get over it, get his head out of his ass and back into this series. Instead, when the team needed him most, with Columbus having all the momentum early in OT, what does he do? He gives up one of his worst goals ever, and THAT is a long list.

Yes I agree he ****ed up I've said that multiple times...how many times do I have to agree with you before you stop bring up the same one thing while disregarding his other games in the series?

nhindian

Jul 4, 2009
Sorry if I missed it, but I heard on the radio this morning that Mario came into the dressing room and was speaking to Fleury in French.

Any ideas what that could be about?

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
This whole forum is nonsense sometimes...everyone jump off the ****ing bridge series is tied 2-2...so are a bunch of other series...no wonder other teams think our fanbase is one of the worst in the league. Best of three with 2 at home...I still like our chances

If this series was the first time in years we've had some of the problems we are having right now, you would be right. Now, it is a trend. We do these things over and over again, that's not just 4 bad games in a row, that's 4 bad playoff seasons in a row. People are frustrated because the same things are happening over and over and over and over again. They are right to be pissed.

It is not as if we were the Blackhawks or the Bruins... and yet, their fans complain when they play like ****, that's what fans do :)

Rectify

I HAVE A JOB!!
Oct 16, 2008
Around
Yes I agree he ****ed up I've said that multiple times...how many times do I have to agree with you before you stop bring up the same one thing while disregarding his other games in the series?

The other games in the series he has been average at best, this game he was... well... average at best.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
They do affect the outcomes of games, yeah, sure. However you can't blame them for how we have been playing in the playoffs for the last 3-4 years. The same issues are popping up everytime. That's not one or two random games in which the refs cost us, it is years of failures. Blaming the refs for the way our team is playing is Pejorative Slured. Sure, they made some bad calls yesterday, but it doesn't change the fact that we played like dogs for 40 minutes. We stopped trying and fell in "prevent" mode. Fleury kept us in it for 39 and a half minutes than choked.

That's what happened. Blaming the refs is playing the excuse game and I refuse to do that.

Please read what I said. I am not blaming the refs for last night's loss, PENS SHOULD have won, The loss was on Fleury. BUT THEY CONTROL and AFFECT the OUTCOME of games by Their CALLS and Non-calls.

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
If your team is so mentally fragile that one blown call (that's coincidental with another call going your way) completely changes the momentum you gathered from going up 3-0, then you deserve whatever comes to you. The Pens softness is not O'Halloran's fault.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Game one: BJ 34 shots;fleury 3 GA...game two: blue jackets: 45 shots; fleury 4 goals against. Game three (worst of the four so far): BJ 20 shots; fleury 3 GA...yesterday: BJ 46 shots; fleury 4 goals against.

WE ARE GETTING OWNED. Blame fleury all you want last night I agree he blew it could have been a 3-1 Series lead...but he has been getting PEPPERED. It's hilarious we are turning into leaf fans...blame the goalie for everything (even games fleury played very well for the amount of shots he faced). Play better defense and clear more guys from the net; yes if you give up 40+ shots in a game odds are you are gonna lose no matter what goalie is in net

Sorry, bud, but you're ****ing dense if you don't think Fleury pissed that game away. We got manhandled from the minute we scored the 3rd goal onward, but all we needed was Fleury to not lose the game. Again, for the umpteenth time, he did. Not excusing the play of the team, or the coach behind the bench, but Fleury lost that game.

It's a sad state of affairs when we've become to used to the culture of this team that subconsciously we accept the fact that he played well but still **** the bed. "Eh, it's fine. Forget that he put himself in a horrific position and practically got on his knees begging for a huge gaff for that tying goal, and forget that he allowed a soft wrister from a state away for the OT winner, he made a buncha other saves so he's off the hook."

Wake up. This team is a running joke once the playoffs roll around, and Fleury is straight up atrocious.

Fleury3434*

Jan 14, 2013
Did those other goalies get shot at 30+ shots on a game and over 45+ shots in 2 games...yeah I mean odds are you shoot more you score more just sayin.

AGAIN ALREADY SAOD FLEURY ****ED UP LAST NIght! I agree with your crazy people. But to say he's played "average" when your team is giving up 45+ shots in two games and 34 in a third? Yeah most likely you are gonna lose! Our TEAM sucks rift now not just fleury. Yes he ****ed up and is the reason we aren't up 3-1...not the problem of the SERIES AS A WHOLE. People be crazy

wolffy66

Dec 16, 2009
Sorry if I missed it, but I heard on the radio this morning that Mario came into the dressing room and was speaking to Fleury in French.

It couldn't have possibly been anything other that a "hey keep your head up, its not over" type thing.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex

He was giving him words of encouragement apparently.

Like, "Don't worry, most goalies wouldn't have stopped that"

Pens17

Aug 3, 2009
THE FOLIGNO GOAL!

EDIT: AND, your precious Fleury's playoff stats now read like this: 3.18 GAA, .903 Sv%. That would have worked in 1988. Not today. What are we even talking about here???

The Great Deflator strikes again, and again, ... and AGAIN!

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

Probably something like that: "Réveille-toi ********, t'es encore en train de manquer le bateau. Je vais t'envoyer à Edmonton si tu te grouilles pas l'cul"

Or in English: "Wake the **** up, you are missing the boat... AGAIN! I will deport your ass to Edmonton if you don't wake the **** up!"

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

If you don't understand why people are truly upset at this point... you'll never get it.

Pay attention carefully... it's been said countless times but I'll go ahead and give it another shot, just for you -- it isn't the results (or more accurately lack thereof) but very much how they are getting those results.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

Just doing his best to get 2nd round playoff revenue would be my guess. Hoping what he says gets through and MAF doesn't implode after a game like that.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
THe following, for some odd reason, just dawned upon me:

Not only did we blow a 3-0 lead to the Columbus Blue Jackets, but we blew a 3-0 lead to a Columbus Blue Jackets team that was missing two important players in Murray and Tyutin, while being outshot by a 2-1 margin by this very same team. This is a BJ's team that isn't exactly riddled with world class depth/talent to begin with, yet we made them look like a dynasty team last night, even though they were missing some key players as well.

Now...I feel even worse.

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010

Because the other games don't matter. It's like you already stuck your hand in a running lawn mower on four separate occasions losing a finger each time and for some reason you're about to walk up to another running lawn mower thinking "hm, I wonder what will happen this time".

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Don't necessarily disagree with much of what you wrote, but wanted to address the bolded.

re: power forward for Sid, I've given up on ever acquiring a legit top-6 winger for Sid. For whatever reason, he seems content playing with the Dupuis and Gibbons of the world, and management/coaching seems to have zero urgency in changing that. Sucks, but it is what it is.

re: third line center, I think Sutter is proving that he can be effective in that role when he has actual NHL talent on his wings. I wonder how good any other center we put there would like when he's spent his entire season centering the likes of Glass, Adams, Kobasew, Pyatt, Connor, Ebbett, D'agostini... Now that we're seeing him with guys Megna, Bennett, and Stempniak, he's really stepped up in my opinion.

re: fourth liners, I think we could be tougher here (insert cliche sports terms here - sandpaper, grit, jam, etc.), but it won't matter unless we get a coach who will actually play them over Glass and Adams. I think we could be set there right now (or at least better than we are now, and much harder to play against), if we actually benched Gladams and put in guys like Sill, Harry Z, Vitale (finally getting time), Goc (IR), Payerl. Not ideal, but better than where we are now.

As bad as the bottom 6 have looked, I don't think it will need *too* much work moving forward. We have some contracts ending this year that will give Shero room to tweak things. I'd like to see Stempniak and Goc (or Vitale) brought back, and JJ (unless he'll sign for cheap and short term, so unlikely), Pyatt, Glass, Kobasew let go. Then you're looking at:

Kunitz - Sid - Stempniak
Bennett - Geno - Neal
Megna - Sutter - Dupuis
Harry Z - Goc - ______ (Adams?)

A couple of those guys can move up and down the top 9 as needed if we need to shake things up. Room for maybe 1-2 FA, depending on who's available. The framework is there, just need a coach who will put them in the best position to succeed...

I'm still holding out hope that Sid will get a winger. I think this needs to be the utmost priority. Kunitz is 34. He's not getting younger, and this is pretty clear from watching him play. If we're not looking to make that line better overall, we should still be looking at this from the perspective of wingers moving forward.

I do agree that Sutter "could be" that third line guy. And that's obviously what the hope was when we traded for him. I know there are some reasons for it not happening, but the fact that he hasn't had any period of sustained effectiveness does make it tough call going into the offseason. Do you stick it out with Sutter and hope he is closer to the player of this series than the regular season performance at a reasonable pay increase, or do you spend the extra bit and acquire someone like Kesler as the Pens were trying to do at the deadline. 2 things come to mind here though. 1) Does Vancouver still have thoughts of trading him, under new management. And 2) If so, does the cost to acquire get any more realistic? I can't say I totally understood the mindset of Shero going after Kesler at that point, but I later came to understand they desperately would like to re-established the 3 center model that served them so well when Jordan Staal was in the fold.

I think Goc is a definite piece that could be used in a 4th line role. Beau Bennett, at least while he's cheap can be on the third too, but the 4th line to me could use some re-thinking. Though, I can't say I'm a big fan, a guy like Shawn Thornton could really help in a limited 4th line role. Beyond that, perhaps re-sign a guy like Vitale to play behind Sutter/Kesler/Whoever, and maybe even a guy like Troy Bodie from FA could be a good signing at ~600k.

I certainly agree regarding Bylsma though.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
He was giving him words of encouragement apparently.

Like, "Don't worry, most goalies wouldn't have stopped that"

My God I hope that's not what he told him...

And quite frankly, I don't know for the life of me why anyone in that organization would continue to baby Fleury at this point. He's not a kid anymore! He's almost 30 years old and is a 10 year veteran of this league who's already won a stanley cup and has a **** load of playoff experience! At this point mistakes like this are simply unacceptable, more so because he's already made SO MANY OF THEM throughout his career. It's time to hold the man accountable for once in his career.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Did those other goalies get shot at 30+ shots on a game and over 45+ shots in 2 games...yeah I mean odds are you shoot more you score more just sayin.

Niemi has had two games with 30+ shots. .903 and .912
Miller has had one game with 40+ shots and one with 30+. .929 and .882
Kari Lehtonen had had two games with 30+ shots. .886 and 1.000
Crawford had had three games with 30+ shots and one with 50+. .909, 1.000, .871 and .923

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad