All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread VI - We have goalies, but can they stay healthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
Staying healthy is also about making breaks, when the body needs it.
Teams with weak backup or without a true tandem is very vulnerable. Coaches feels that they need to play their number one far to many games.
Sometime the smart move it to let some games go and keep the team healthy.

Even I am not interesting in Soccer, there was a per of years, that Milan (the Italian team) had almost the two best player on contract on almost every positions.

Those year they would rotate players in and out of the team, to keep everybody healthy and O my goodness, they was good those years. Did lose many game at all, including in the Eurocup.
I imagine a team where your would always play two of a rested Mc David, Mathews, Crosby and Malken on the team every other game.
A Veselesky or a Broborsky in goal.

Thanks heaven, that the Cap system will ensure that this probably will never happen. I would not be funny of any other teams.

Anyway, to ensure that your key player is rested, as much as possibly, is good leadership of the coaching staff and it give chances for other to develop.
That certainly include your goalies.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
People keep bringing up Kessel's shape, but I feel like Teuvo has been said to not be a great practice guy and made fun of as chubby in off-season photos. Also, Kessel produces pretty well for washed. Maybe Brindy would respect that the guy doesn't miss games too. I think he'd be an okay addition if it happened, and pretty low risk for a year.

Last edited:

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Someone who knows things about contracts and the CBA help me out:

The players that filed for arbitration, can they still be offer sheeted? Or is that off the table, since there's no way to tell their compensation worth at the moment? Also, if the arbitration happens and the team refuses to pay the number that was decided on, the player becomes a FA, yeah?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

The players that filed for arbitration, can they still be offer sheeted? Or is that off the table, since there's no way to tell their compensation worth at the moment? Also, if the arbitration happens and the team refuses to pay the number that was decided on, the player becomes a FA, yeah?
The 1st was the deadline for offer sheets on arbitration eligible players. I believe those that didn’t elect for arbitration are open to be offer sheeted again.

Reactions: DaveG and cptjeff

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC

I believe if the award is 4 mil or less the team can’t walk away from it, if it’s more they can and the player becomes a FA.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

They can't. Technically "offersheet" is player signing a SPC with his new prospective team and sending it for the old team for first refusal. Once the RFA player files for arbitration, he can't negotiate or sign that SPC.

For club-elected arbitration, there is a window for the player getting offersheeted after team has filed for the arbitration.

As Moosetache said, team can walk away from award that's high enough, but only if it's a player-selected arbitration. In a team-elected arbitration, they don't have that right.

In a way, electing for arbitration is committing for signing the (one or two year) SPC with your current partner, and the impartial arbitrator is the one deciding the salary in it.

Reactions: DaveG and cptjeff

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Appreciate the responses.

So all in all, the odds we can take a run at Pelech and have the two best defensive defensemen in the league on the same team is close to zero then :laugh:

Reactions: DaveG

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Appreciate the responses.

So all in all, the odds we can take a run at Pelech and have the two best defensive defensemen in the league on the same team is close to zero then :laugh:
No. Initially what filing for arbitration does is that it sets a definite deadline by which you will be signed* onto an SPC. So it prompts a window for the team and the player to negotiate an SPC before the arbitration hearing, and quite often they can reach a negotiated solution.

Then we can trade for Pelech.

If it goes to the hearing, that's harsh business where the team's case is that the player sucks and don't deserve money, and it happens quite a lot that the player gets traded within a year, and that's when we get Pelech.

He's pretty much ours at this point.

Reactions: DaveG

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
One potential trade target to watch out for is Jacob Trouba. 5 years remaining at $8M/yr, still only 27, and a RHD. I know that he has a NMC, which means that his trade market would only be limited to clubs that he would want to play for, but I would bet a few bucks that Carolina basically would be his picture-perfect club outside of the Rangers. Put a package like Gardiner + Bear + Suzuki + 2022 1st and see if the Rangers and Trouba would be interested. Put Slavin next to him and see if he returns to borderline-Norris form like he was in Winnipeg.

Slavin-Trouba
Skjei-Pesce
Cole-DeAngelo
Smith

Last edited:

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
One potential trade target to watch out for is Jacob Trouba. 5 years remaining at $8M/yr, still only 27, and a RHD. I know that he has a NMC, which means that his trade market would only be limited to clubs that he would want to play for, but I would bet a few bucks that Carolina basically would be his picture-perfect club outside of the Rangers. Put a package like Gardiner + Bear + Suzuki + 2022 1st and see if the Rangers and Trouba would be interested. Put Slavin next to him and see if he returns to borderline-Norris form like he was in Winnipeg.

Slavin-Trouba
Skjei-Pesce
Cole-DeAngelo
Smith
He's a Rongutan through a very poor-value trade precisely because he made it clear to Jets and everyone when Jets was shopping him around that he would re-sign long-term only with the Rongos.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I never really understood the hate for Kessel. Maybe I'm just ill informed but seems like dude just likes hot dogs and doesn't really hustle. Hes putting up points either way. I can see thinking he's been overpaid but he seems likable enough to me. But then I love/loved hamilton and pitkanen too
The only thing I can think of is that the expectations were so high in Leafland that it just couldn't be helped when the teams fell short there. I like the guy.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011

Slavin-Trouba
Skjei-Pesce
Cole-DeAngelo
Smith
I know you like to throw everything against the wall, but this makes almost no sense at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad