All purpose trade/roster building thread the 13th

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Flyers seem like a potential landing spot for one of Reimer/Mrazek. Elliot is a UFA and Hart has one more year on his ELC. Either would be a good 1B or backup there.

If they find a deal for Ghost maybe Gardiner + Reimer for JVR makes some sense.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I added to my last post late another big concern that I think we’re one big contract away from being a team with cap troubles, if we keep what we have already. I know we’re “only” adding two or three million to what we already pay but this will matter, would be nice to get a guy we feel really confident will succeed here. I do like JVR and he’s great around the net which would work with the cherubs potentially.
Yeah, I agree the extra money is not nothing. It is a tough call to make. But, I think our management looks for guys like this that have good advanced numbers but are just not clicking for with their current team. This is almost exactly how we got Nino in the first place.

Reactions: bleedgreen

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Where? And how? Every team is looking to dump someone. And Arizona is already in cap trouble themselves. This is not the market for cap dumps I'd want to be playing around in. Definitely going to cost a pretty penny to move bad salary right now unless you are taking some back. At that point, why bother unless you can find a unicorn where both teams have matching bad salary and needs.

This is why I'd look at moving either Nino or Gardiner to the Flyers in exchange for JVR. JVR could look really good besides Aho and TT. With his advance stats, he looks like the kind of guy the front office would be looking at in a buy low option (not that their record on those is without flaw):

I also said it wouldn’t be realistic to dump them all.

For the record I’d be down for a Nino for JVR swap.

I mean I’d reeeeally be down for Nino to play like he did the year we traded for him but that doesn’t seem to be an option anymore

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I also said it wouldn’t be realistic to dump them all.

For the record I’d be down for a Nino for JVR swap.

I mean I’d reeeeally be down for Nino to play like he did the year we traded for him but that doesn’t seem to be an option anymore
Maybe Nino can't play at the clip he did after we acquired him, which we pretty much never expected to happen, but I don't see a reason why he can't rebound back into a productive player. I'm certainly not loving the idea of trading him for guys that are also high risk and signed for more money or term than Nino.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I’ve been trying to figure out the Nino thing for awhile. When he tumbled down the lineup in Minny it was because he felt he was really effective on his off wing, but his coach didn’t trust him defensively in that side. His offense dropped and I remember there maybe from Nino’s side he felt that’s a big part of the offensive issues.

To be honest he was an Av’s killer and all my memories of such had him at his off wing. I feel like when he arrived and started off really hot we put him on that side? Eventually he ended up on the left with Williams and Aho but didn’t his numbers slow a bit there?

I don’t feel he plays that different a game, only the numbers aren’t there. I know he drives with the puck really well on the right side. Can’t help but wonder if the same thing that happened in Minny happened here. He can be a strong winger on the left, but a strong scoring winger on the right.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I’ve been trying to figure out the Nino thing for awhile. When he tumbled down the lineup in Minny it was because he felt he was really effective on his off wing, but his coach didn’t trust him defensively in that side. His offense dropped and I remember there maybe from Nino’s side he felt that’s a big part of the offensive issues.

To be honest he was an Av’s killer and all my memories of such had him at his off wing. I feel like when he arrived and started off really hot we put him on that side? Eventually he ended up on the left with Williams and Aho but didn’t his numbers slow a bit there?

I don’t feel he plays that different a game, only the numbers aren’t there. I know he drives with the puck really well on the right side. Can’t help but wonder if the same thing that happened in Minny happened here. He can be a strong winger on the left, but a strong scoring winger on the right.

Well I’d be willing to put him 3rd line RW next to Staal and Foegele if that made him happy and angry and all that stuff that makes him play like a bull in a china shop. Still means we need a LW for either line 1 or line 2 though.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Nino played off wing almost all the time in MN, and looked pretty good there. His best offensive move was a little deke to the inside then shooting before the Dman could adjust, and that move only works going to the inside from the off wing. Boudreau made some comment about him being better at LW when they traded him, but I think that was him trying to say something besides, "He has been sucking lately, so we thought we'd trade him for a C who's been sucking lately(in the back ground our analyst going , "I said Tukka Rask, not Victor Rask, you idiots!"). Oh, and by the way, I hate the GM, and hope he gets fired before I do, and he probably will if he keeps making these awful trades."

I don't know what is wrong with him. He'll never be an elite scorer, and his speed is average, but he does have a nice shot and release, and some nifty hands around the crease area. He seems to have lost confidence.

Reactions: bleedgreen

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Nino's biggest problem is that he never really developed great hockey sense, so if he's not playing 100% balls to the wall going to the net at every opportunity his production is going to suffer. I'm talking mainly about his offensive ability because he's a pretty smart/responsible defensive player.

He was at his best when he was an absolute wrecking ball out there, like during the WJCs when he shot his draft stock through the roof just owning all of his peers through sheer effort alone, or when he first came to Carolina.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Nino's biggest problem is that he never really developed great hockey sense, so if he's not playing 100% balls to the wall going to the net at every opportunity his production is going to suffer. I'm talking mainly about his offensive ability because he's a pretty smart/responsible defensive player.

He was at his best when he was an absolute wrecking ball out there, like during the WJCs when he shot his draft stock through the roof just owning all of his peers through sheer effort alone, or when he first came to Carolina.

Yes, I want that Nino. That Nino is a 60+ point two way power forward. I like that. Nino, please do that next year ok?

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
It seemed to me that he just had insane puck luck after landing here and not much this year. He had a number of stretches where he hit posts or got robbed this year that would have gone in last year. I would think it would level out and you'll get what he's been most of his career.

Reactions: AD Skinner

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Yes, I want that Nino. That Nino is a 60+ point two way power forward. I like that. Nino, please do that next year ok?
Nino isn’t a 60 point forward. 57 point once to get his big contract.

nino is a 35-40 point forward with 2 outlier 50 point seasons. He is what he is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cardiac Jerks

Helsinki Hurricanes

Sep 6, 2018
Even though Nino + Reimer to Jvr would be about cap equal, in actuality it would lead to team's cap hit increase as Canes would need another goalie. An 1A goalie with Mrazek as 1B would either cost a lot in dollars or in trade capital.

My opinion is that Mrazek is fine with a strong backup (Reimer) but not enough with a weak backup (Ned). So trading Reimer would mean weak goaltending (Mra + Ned) or expensive goaltending (1A + Mra).

Additionally Canes could take a page from Bergevin's playbook, going with two capable goalies splitting the starts next year. To my understanding there is a chance next season would have more back to backs and a rushed schedule.

And by the way, Tukka Rask translates to man's hair Rask in Finnish :)

Reactions: Navin R Slavin

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Well I’d be willing to put him 3rd line RW next to Staal and Foegele if that made him happy and angry and all that stuff that makes him play like a bull in a china shop. Still means we need a LW for either line 1 or line 2 though.
Well it’s a nice thought to get him a spot on that side, but playing someone with Staal to wake up their offense sounds like an exercise in futility.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
If Markstrom doesn’t get re-signed by Vancouver before FA opens, what’s the offer you’d be comfortable floating his way?

4 x 7.5AAV
5 x 7AAV
6 x 6.5AAV

Think you’ve gotta to offer an NMC so that Markstrom has peace of mind as for protection from the expansion draft or otherwise (obviously whoever signs him is gonna protect him anyway but you know...)

6 years is probably already a gamble so I don’t know about going to a 7 year max term deal but our window is now for the next 4 years so maybe you do it knowing that you have a top goalie for that window and afterwards... well, you deal with that when it happens.

thoughts?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
If Markstrom doesn’t get re-signed by Vancouver before FA opens, what’s the offer you’d be comfortable floating his way?

4 x 7.5AAV
5 x 7AAV
6 x 6.5AAV

Think you’ve gotta to offer an NMC so that Markstrom has peace of mind as for protection from the expansion draft or otherwise (obviously whoever signs him is gonna protect him anyway but you know...)

6 years is probably already a gamble so I don’t know about going to a 7 year max term deal but our window is now for the next 4 years so maybe you do it knowing that you have a top goalie for that window and afterwards... well, you deal with that when it happens.

thoughts?
Honestly, none of those. Some rumors coming out of Vegas saying that Lehner's contract could be 5M x 5y. If that happens, Markstrom should be similar, not higher.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Honestly, none of those. Some rumors coming out of Vegas saying that Lehner's contract could be 5M x 5y. If that happens, Markstrom should be similar, not higher.

Well yeah, 5x5 for either would be great. Who are the teams who are looking to add a goalie?

Carolina (Mrazek + Reimer signed for 1 year)
Colorado (Grubauer signed for 1 year)
Toronto (if they trade Andersen)
Vegas (need to figure out what they’re doing w Fleury)
Vancouver (have to decide on Demko v Markstrom)
Chicago (Maybe they re-sign Crawford cheap)

Gonna leave the bottom feeder teams out right now bc they kind of need everything but I don’t see them being in on a goalie in free agency.

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Capitals could be a team looking for a veteran goalie like Reimer or Mrazek, assuming they don’t sign Holtby. Samsonov is clearly their future, but do they want to put all their eggs in that basket Next season when he’s only had 26NHL games, especially when their core probably has only one or two more kicks at the can?

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Well yeah, 5x5 for either would be great. Who are the teams who are looking to add a goalie?

Carolina (Mrazek + Reimer signed for 1 year)
Colorado (Grubauer signed for 1 year)
Toronto (if they trade Andersen)
Vegas (need to figure out what they’re doing w Fleury)
Vancouver (have to decide on Demko v Markstrom)
Chicago (Maybe they re-sign Crawford cheap)

Gonna leave the bottom feeder teams out right now bc they kind of need everything but I don’t see them being in on a goalie in free agency.

Edmonton (upgrade from Smith for a platoon with Koskinen)
Boston (what is going on with Rask? or do they get their next goalie now and have a 1 year platoon)
Calgary (behind or with Rittich)
Minnesota (even without Koivu I don't see them rebuilding, so an upgrade at G is a must)

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Edmonton (upgrade from Smith for a platoon with Koskinen)
Boston (what is going on with Rask? or do they get their next goalie now and have a 1 year platoon)
Calgary (behind or with Rittich)
Minnesota (even without Koivu I don't see them rebuilding, so an upgrade at G is a must)

Yeah, forgot about Calgary, Edmonton and Minnesota. They are in it for sure on a new goalie.

Boston is kind of like Toronto. They don’t need to make a move but might choose to switch things up, but if that happens then another goalie would be on the move so it’s kind of net neutral in that sense.

Having more teams needing goalies obviously sucks as that means there’s more competition but at least when it comes to Calgary and Edmonton, those aren’t exactly top detonations for UFA and Edmonton definitely has cap issues as well which will make it difficult for them to add someone without making a significant move elsewhere.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
How about MAF plus a pick for Gardiner? We move one of our problems and get a pick for helping Vegas fix their goalie spending problem.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I'm not opposed to him due to age, but he is carrying a 7mil cap hit for the next two years. I dont know if I wanna pay 7mil for him at 35 years old.
If we can't acquire another goalie for whatever reason, I would consider it. Then again I'm not a fan of paying Gardiner 3 more years at 4 mill to be a bottom pairing/7th d-man when we have Slavin, Skjei, Fleury and Bean on the left side.

Reactions: Daeavorn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad