All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread - start of 2021 season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I'm curious how everyone feels about the potential of moving a 1st rounder this year. It's never a bad thing to have your 1st, but there are interesting circumstances this year for the right move.

Right now, we have no idea if the draft will happen on time. If it does happen on time, the evaluation process will have been more difficult than usual. We are hopeful that the pick is a late one. Some think the draft is a lesser draft (though there are always good players to find). We also have a heck of a prospect pool (again, not to imply adding more talent is ever a bad thing).

If the right move comes around, especially if it involves a player with term that we think we can find a way to protect, I'd be more open to moving it than usual. I'd definitely be open to moving it in the offseason to improve the team or find a Dougie replacement if needed.
If its a deal for a forward that we are committed to keeping long term, I am good with it.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I'm curious how everyone feels about the potential of moving a 1st rounder this year. It's never a bad thing to have your 1st, but there are interesting circumstances this year for the right move.

Right now, we have no idea if the draft will happen on time. If it does happen on time, the evaluation process will have been more difficult than usual. We are hopeful that the pick is a late one. Some think the draft is a lesser draft (though there are always good players to find). We also have a heck of a prospect pool (again, not to imply adding more talent is ever a bad thing).

If the right move comes around, especially if it involves a player with term that we think we can find a way to protect, I'd be more open to moving it than usual. I'd definitely be open to moving it in the offseason to improve the team or find a Dougie replacement if needed.

I like the idea of using the first this year more than moving one of the NHL D. Best to stay the course on the blue line and plan for the loss of one to Seattle (and maybe Hamilton as well) and then figure out the plan on D.

I agree that dealing from picks or prospects makes sense if there is an addition at the deadline.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
As for potential waiver claims, I wonder if the Canes put a claim on Stalock. He's appealing as a third goalie for numerous reasons and he's has another year remaining at near-league minimum. I'm actually surprised that he didn't have a trade market due to his contract alone.

Stalock was claimed by Edmonton.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
If its a deal for a forward that we are committed to keeping long term, I am good with it.

The team is close enough that a move can put it over the top. That opens the options beyond a long-term piece. A rental+1, be it Kuemper or Forsberg/Hertl (with retention), would give them 2 playoffs runs. That's fair.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
A couple of guys that interest me in Arizona is Schmaltz and Keller. I know that Armstrong is looking for 1st round picks and farm assets, and dealing Keller would be a good way to get some without having to deal the main driver behind their current success, aka. Kuemper. He's also only 22 and has seven seasons remaining at $7M AAV, so if he is able to thrive with the twins, he'd have a nice cap-controlled hit throughout his prime years.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
We are probably facing bubble playoffs and some weird roster rules. Wasn't there unlimited amount of players allowed or something, in the 2020 playoffs?

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
A couple of guys that interest me in Arizona is Schmaltz and Keller. I know that Armstrong is looking for 1st round picks and farm assets, and dealing Keller would be a good way to get some without having to deal the main driver behind their current success, aka. Kuemper. He's also only 22 and has seven seasons remaining at $7M AAV, so if he is able to thrive with the twins, he'd have a nice cap-controlled hit throughout his prime years.
I pass on both. Schmaltz is too soft and doesnt fit his cap hit. Keller had one good year, 3 seasons ago, but now isnt work a 7 million price tag either. The last 2 seasons he had 47 and 51 point seasons over 82 games. While he may see an uptick playing with the twins but he wouldnt be a good fit as he isnt physical in the slightest.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I'd target Rakell over Forsburg. He seems a better fit and the price tag (both salary and assets) seems more reasonable.
I don’t think he’s a better fit, just cheaper. If we’re going the scorer route I’d say get the better scorer. Forsberg would be scary on our team.

As for Keller, he’d be a bad fit for us.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Is Skjei desirable enough for a team to trade for him in full (no meaningful cap returned) in this environment? Aside from just letting Hamilton walk, that's the path they'd have to take to fit in a big cap hit to the forward group.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Is Skjei desirable enough for a team to trade for him in full (no meaningful cap returned) in this environment? Aside from just letting Hamilton walk, that's the path they'd have to take to fit in a big cap hit to the forward group.
With all of our roster turn over and sending guys up and down, we will have the ability to absorb an 11 million dollar cap hit contract at the deadline, according to cap friendly.

We're cap tanking for Eichel, jk

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
With all of our roster turn over and sending guys up and down, we will have the ability to absorb an 11 million dollar cap hit contract at the deadline, according to cap friendly

In reference to next season. The numbers don't add up adding a Keller or Schmaltz to a Hamilton extension, a Svechnikov bridge and flat spending on goaltending.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I like Rakell and was mentally targeting him before we gained some cap flexibility. I agree I'd aim even higher to make us a big time contender if the opportunity presents itself. Still, Rakell on a cheap contract for the rest of this year and next gives us some great flexibility.

I know there's been speculation that the majority of moves that happen might happen in March to really get guys integrated and account for any quarantine. I'm interested to see when we make any moves we might make.

Also, with the intradivision play, it's nice that as things currently stand, there are 4-5 teams in each division that are in it and the rest are somewhat clearly out of it. That doesn't mean some won't hold on hope that they get on that small streak that closes the gap, but if those teams are what they have been to this point, they may just fall further out of it. Buyers and sellers might be very well defined this year.

Reactions: Tryamw and MinJaBen

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
In reference to next season. The numbers don't add up adding a Keller or Schmaltz to a Hamilton extension, a Svechnikov bridge and flat spending on goaltending.
my apologies.

We would have to hope for Skjei or Nino being picked by Seattle, not re-signing Foegele or McGinn, trading away Gardiner, and/or having at least 4 under 950k players on the roster.

We have 28 million. Say we give Svech 7 million on a bridge and Dougie 8.25 mil. That would leave us with 12.75 million for 2 goalies and 3 forwards (lorentz already included). Say if we added a 6 million dollar player during the TD, we would have 6.75 million for 2 goalies and 2 forwards. Moving Gardiner and keeping Bean would give us almost 11 million for 2 goalies, 2 forwards, and 1 defender. 2 Prispects at forward and we have 9.25 million on 2 goalies and a defender. It is doable.

Last edited:
Reactions: WreckingCrew

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I think I'd rather be in the situation of adding as much talent as possible and doing what needs to be done to make it work as things go along than fretting over any little addition.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
But you pay for a team to do that retention. It just makes the asset cost that much more.

Retention comes with an added cost, sure. However, there's only so much the Preds can retain given his cap and salary. The difference between Forsberg and Rakell is ~$2 mil next season and a little extra for the remainder of this one. That's south of the Marleau line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad