All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread Pt 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justshootmore

Mar 13, 2018
Bogosian is a sensible move right now with the injuries to Hamilton and Pesce. Much like Willy, no picks necessary, and at the very least he’s a replacement-level guy for the bottom-pairing to ride the storm.

I agree, there is not harm in giving him a shot, though I am not sure if that solves the issue. It’s not like the organization is lacking players who can play on the bottom pairing. We even have 2 d-men with over 100 NHL games in Charlotte.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I agree, there is not harm in giving him a shot, though I am not sure if that solves the issue. It’s not like the organization is lacking players who can play on the bottom pairing. We even have 2 d-men with over 100 NHL games in Charlotte.

Bogo is RHed, that's why. Forsling/Claesson are LHed, and we already have Eddy playing his off side and not exactly being Brodie-esque. I think that we'll see Bogo and McKeown with our club soon.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

This guy gets paid to talk about sports? Is that an internet sarcasm I'm not picking up on?

Giangrecco is just ABC Sports night anchor and idiot

He doesn't know anything about sports he just reads from teleprompter for 2-3 minutes a night while highlights role

He was type of person who would be like "Why are Hawks trading Byfuglien , Ladd , etc" in 2010 and then when told why would say "Why not trade someone else"

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Before the injuries, the concern was secondary scoring.
In 2020 Dzingel has 1 goal/2 assists in 19 games; Haula has 1 goal/4 assists in 20 games. Maybe trade one of them for a player who has 2 goals in the past three games. Or a player with 2 goals and 2 assists in 14 games since the calendar turned. The former is Saarela and the latter is Roy.

I bring this up now because there is so much talk of acquiring a d-man through a trade. Maybe the Canes organization has players who can contribute in the NHL given the chance.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
'Canes are active to make the right Trade
Lost in the frenzied celebration of emergency backup goaltender David Ayres and his see-it-to-believe-it win over the Toronto Maple Leafs on Saturday night was the impact of it all on TradeCentre.
The Carolina Hurricanes became one of the major storylines heading into Monday’s trade deadline.
Even before Saturday, Carolina was already on the prowl for a defenceman to replace Dougie Hamilton, who is out for the rest of the season with a fractured fibula, and some goaltending depth.
You’d have to think those missions have intensified now in a year where the Hurricanes can’t afford to miss out on continuing the momentum in their market after last year’s run to the ECF.
Carolina’s top priority at the moment is on defence.
Right now, GM Don Waddell has let teams know - the ones that began generously offering a life raft on Sunday - that he is prepared to recall both AHL goaltenders Alex Nedeljkovic and Anton Forsberg.
The Canes don’t know yet how much time Mrazek will miss. He left Saturday’s game after being run over by Kyle Clifford, paving the way for Ayres to make history as the oldest netminder ever to win his NHL debut. Forsberg played 35 games for the Chicago Blackhawks two seasons ago, so the Hurricanes don’t feel absolutely forced to make a move if Mrazek won’t be on the shelf long-term.
Defence is a different story.
Carolina has been connected to a number of different options, from Sami Vatanen to Tyson Barrie and beyond. The complicating factor is the belief that owner Tom Dundon is not a fan of trading for rental players, which limits the field and raises the price on an acquisition.
The Canes have plenty of trade chips to get the defenceman they’re seeking. They’re likely willing to move pending UFA centre Erik Haula and a 1st Round Pick.
The Hurricanes are the only buyer with an extra first-round pick in their arsenal, acquired from the Maple Leafs last June to facilitate the Patrick Marleau buyout.
At this point, it’s difficult to imagine the Hurricanes hanging on to one of those picks.
That’s why it’s up to No. 3 on TSN Hockey’s latest Trade Bait board, which always seeks to blend a player or asset’s prominence with its likelihood of a trade:
Trade Bait: Carolina Hurricanes' search intensifies for 'D' - TSN.ca

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
I still get a laugh at them saying we're targeting "defensemen" and then turn around and link us to Tyson Barrie.

I think the only rumor that I actually view as legitimate was their interest in Brodin around Janurary, right around the time that there was a lot of questions about Gardiner's risky style of play, particularly when he was slumping offensively around that time. Other than that particular interest, though, I think that it's been a lot of smoke-and-mirrors to troll the blogosphere.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I think you're wrong about the fake interest in rentals, but if you don't think the one about us trying to make a hockey trade to get Martinez was true when it sounds so much like us, I'm a little surprised.

Reactions: zman77

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
I think the only rumor that I actually view as legitimate was their interest in Brodin around Janurary, right around the time that there was a lot of questions about Gardiner's risky style of play, particularly when he was slumping offensively around that time. Other than that particular interest, though, I think that it's been a lot of smoke-and-mirrors to troll the blogosphere.

Yeah, everything reported pre-Hamilton injury (Brodin, Martinez etc.) seemed logical as wanting a #2 LD with term behind Slavin made sense. Rounding out the top 4 with a legitimate #2 LD could've helped the team become a legit contender in the Metro/East.

Once Dougie got hurt, none of that made sense because anyone could tell you we weren't gonna contend without him. Then, of course, the "reports" switched to us wanting a RD with term ... which was always hot air. Why would we want a RD with term when we've already got Dougie/Pesce slotted in the top 4 there? Of course Pesce could always slide to the left, but still. It was always illogical to me.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I think it’s a mistake to just hope to make the playoffs with our AHL goalies and defensemen. They’ve made the playoffs once in 10 years. Imagine if they miss this year (without “going for it”) and for some reason don’t make it next year either. Is that possible? I don’t see it happening, but it’d be terrible if it did. It would feel like same old same old.
I’ve seen almost unanimous opposition to using the Leafs’ 1st pick in a trade. I’d ask why. It was bought for a reason, and I don’t think it’s for a chance to pick a guy like Gauthier (21st If I recall). Weaponize that shit. Go for it.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011

I wouldn't trust that source if he didn't report the Scandella or Reilly deals before they were completed. Part of the reason that I trust Sara Civ is because she knows the minor stuff as well as the hot stove stuff regarding this organization. Take Chase Priskie, for example. This guy didn't even catch the Kovy stuff.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Yeah, everything reported pre-Hamilton injury (Brodin, Martinez etc.) seemed logical as wanting a #2 LD with term behind Slavin made sense. Rounding out the top 4 with a legitimate #2 LD could've helped the team become a legit contender in the Metro/East.

Once Dougie got hurt, none of that made sense because anyone could tell you we weren't gonna contend without him. Then, of course, the "reports" switched to us wanting a RD with term ... which was always hot air. Why would we want a RD with term when we've already got Dougie/Pesce slotted in the top 4 there? Of course Pesce could always slide to the left, but still. It was always illogical to me.

Acquiring a Top 4 D with term at a fair price pay is challenging enough. Add stylistic and/or handedness constraints, and the player may not exist. Toronto, for example, needs the same thing it needed 2 years ago. Broadening the search could just be widening the net.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Acquiring a Top 4 D with term at a fair price pay is challenging enough. Add stylistic and/or handedness constraints, and the player may not exist. Toronto, for example, needs the same thing it needed 2 years ago. Broadening the search could just be widening the net.

I suppose the stark difference between CAR’s search for RD vs that of TOR’s is that the Canes have much more ammunition to use in any potential trade vs the few forwards Dubas was and evidently still is loathe to give up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille