All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread Pt 10 (45 Days to the Trade Deadline)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Is that one of the crazy replies to Sara’s Tweet about trades? Many were funny. There are some Big Dreamers out there, too. Plus, that one Wild fan who keeps posting various Necas trade scenarios. He’s got it bad. Hope we abstain.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Is that one of the crazy replies to Sara’s Tweet about trades? Many were funny. There are some Big Dreamers out there, too. Plus, that one Wild fan who keeps posting various Necas trade scenarios. He’s got it bad. Hope we abstain.
It was a Wild fan's wild (read: delusional) prediction on the trade board.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
people are slow adjusting to how trades are now from how they used to be in regards to player x is better than pick a and prospect c so therefore player x will not be moved for pick a and prospect c. that was back when teams had almost ironclad protection from the unrestricted market. if a player ever hit july 1st back then, things went very very sideways for one of the parties. the jeff skinner trade is a good example and shouldn't be nearly as maligned as it has been based on circumstances. carolina had poor player control and poor signability. based on that, the first factor of player value is almost moot. if you're fairly certain your asset is only going to give you 80 more games, you make a determination upon what those 80 games are worth to you no matter what they're worth to anyone else.

what trades are now is some sort of equity determination based upon player value/player control/player signability that gets so complex that we as laymen trying to account for that equity determination can be way off. especially from people that still look at it exclusively from player value and downplay the other factors like "oh, if they wanted to resign him just offer him 6 x 6 and bing bang boom you've got a long term asset." with our franchise being so good at these equity determinations lately, we understand it as a fanbase better than most. it's not that simplistic as if you want to keep this player offer them some variable number around market value and they'll just take it. that was the old way of things, but not anymore. there were even some rumblings that the trade deadline itself was going to suffer in this and subsequent seasons due to how much teams appreciate control now. there were even rumblings back in the day when teams were just throwing away mid 20's picks with both hands for bottom six and third pairing defenders that this was probably an unreasonable sustainability model.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
So it would be a nyet positive trade.
8ec801f384527ef4343099c98f9c1b41.gif

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
Don’t imagine the value works out, but what about something around a NN for Granlund change of scenery swap

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I’ve been seeing a lot of us and the coach, calling out Haula, Dzingel, Nino, etc. We’ve personally have called out Staal. But he needs to be brought up more.

Jordan Staal.... 1 goal, 2 assists in his last 15 games, on pace for 28 points this year, all while getting around 18 minutes of ice time a night. 9 out of those last 15 games he had 0 or 1 shots on goal. While getting ice time with a couple of our best playmakers (Turbo & Svech). That’s just completely unacceptable offensive production from your second line center. He needs to be generating a wholeeee lot more than that offensively.

Wake up Brind’Amour, he’s not our 2nd line center this year. Unfortunately Haula isn’t pushing that. But maybe at least balance the minutes better between the other center.

Credit to Alex Ohari on Twitter for bringing up the Staal stats.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Don’t imagine the value works out, but what about something around a NN for Granlund change of scenery swap
I think the Canes would do it, but Nashville would be left holding the bag for a longer contract which they may not want.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I’ve been seeing a lot of us and the coach, calling out Haula, Dzingel, Nino, etc. We’ve personally have called out Staal. But he needs to be brought up more.

Jordan Staal.... 1 goal, 2 assists in his last 15 games, on pace for 28 points this year, all while getting around 18 minutes of ice time a night. 9 out of those last 15 games he had 0 or 1 shots on goal. While getting ice time with a couple of our best playmakers (Turbo & Svech). That’s just completely unacceptable offensive production from your second line center. He needs to be generating a wholeeee lot more than that offensively.

Wake up Brind’Amour, he’s not our 2nd line center this year. Unfortunately Haula isn’t pushing that. But maybe at least balance the minutes better between the other center.

Credit to Alex Ohari on Twitter for bringing up the Staal stats.
He’s been one of our worst players all season but something something defense. I’ve always been a big Staal apologist and was a supporter of naming him captain but he’s been putrid. I certainly can’t defend him anymore. He’s pretty much everything people were complaining about.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
What about a Nino and Gardiner for Turris and Grandlund?

/s but midly interested in responses

If this team is struggling to be able to afford improvement at C now, what happens when you have Aho, Staal, and Turris down the middle with all of them making $6M+ per year through at least the next 3 seasons?

Reactions: MinJerkBen

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
He’s been one of our worst players all season but something something defense. I’ve always been a big Staal apologist and was a supporter of naming him captain but he’s been putrid. I certainly can’t defend him anymore. He’s pretty much everything people were complaining about.

Im very thankful for what the Staal’s have done for this team in the past but I’m ready to be done with them altogether. New team, new look. Jordan is just awful now.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
It's just incredibly frustrating because Staal was excellent after returning from injury last year and excellent in the playoffs. I don't expect that level of play all the time, but at least a good game every once in a while isn't too much to ask you'd think. He's just flat out brutal and dragging the team down as much as anyone.

Normally I've been of the camp like BBA has brought up, that Staal has these slumps but usually finishes with his 40-45 points (or at least that pace). At this point, I'll be shocked if he hits 35.

I don't know if it's age, the weight of captaincy and expectations, a fluky worse than normal season, some kind of nagging injury we don't know about, whatever, but he just sucks.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
The Staal situation has been a personal head scratcher all season long for me. Leading by example with those stats noted above!

What a runway he has when so many others are called out over the slightest mistake and pulled off the ice. It's always them and never him with the coach, too, which I find to be very disingenuous. Could the players also be seeing the double standards at work?

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
The Staal situation has been a personal head scratcher all season long for me. Leading by example with those stats noted above!

What a runway he has when so many others are called out over the slightest mistake and pulled off the ice. It's always them and never him with the coach, too, which I find to be very disingenuous. Could the players also be seeing the double standards at work?

I'd imagine Haula's noticed....

May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Now i really could see a deal where they swing for both Demelo and Pageau using a first with some other assets in hope they retain at least one or both of those players long term. It's been reported that there hasn't been much interest in their UFA's so maybe the prices are lower right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad