All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread Pt 10 (45 Days to the Trade Deadline)

Status
Not open for further replies.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
With everyone outside of the SAT line not providing much, you do have to wonder if they consider mixing up the forwards a little bit. I do still expect them to add on the back end.
Rumors on the trade thread that Coleman is being traded by NJ. I would be thrilled if the Canes could somehow land Vatanen and Coleman for something like a 1st and prospect.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
If a guy like Andy Greene costs a 2nd, I want the Canes to take no part in going after rentals. It sounds like they’ve pretty much said they’re not doing that regardless.
It could just mean that one team overpaid another team. It could also just mean that the going rate is a 2nd + a prospect which is about what we've known. I think they're going to make a move on the back end, we'll just see if it's the rental or the term play. Maybe they circle back to that being the asking price on Martinez and get term at least.

I was against the thought of trading a 1st for Coleman earlier in the year, but if we could pry Vatanen and Coleman with a 1st and a good prospect (and maybe another small add), I'd probably do it. Coleman would fit what the team wants up front very well, Vatanen would fit what we're lacking on the back end, we'd get at least one asset that isn't a rental, and we'd probably have a decent enough chance to get Vatanen locked up if interested.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
It's a lot easier to stomach overpaying for something with a 2nd than it is a 1st.
giphy.gif

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Blake Coleman is going to get some respeck put on his name now that he's out of the dumpster fire in Jersey. I don't really think it's too bad of a price to pay for one of the best middle 6 tweeners in the league that's not a pure rental. If our team was in the Lightning's place I wouldn't be upset at all with what they gave up.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
BLAKE COLEMAN #20

Tampa Bay Lightning

Center, Left wing, Right wing

Cap Hit: $1,800,000, UFA after 2020-21 season
BORN:November 28, 1991, 28 years old
BIRTHPLACE:Plano, Texas, USA
HEIGHT: 5'11" 180cm
WEIGHT: 200 lbs

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
So Tampa's GM is either stupid or stealing ideas from our board. Two months ago I posted:

Don't know how desperate NJ is to go into full rebuild mode. Pretty sure Hall and Subban are available.

However, I would make a significant overpayment for Blake Coleman. If the Canes are ready for win-now mode, he is the perfect acquisition.
  • 22 goals last season, on pace for 24 this year
  • Top 20 in hits the past two seasons
  • $1.8M salary through 2021
  • Excellent defensively—could be a good winger when/if Necas transitions to C
IF NJ would move him, I would offer the Canes first next season and any Checker (other than Bean, Priskie, or Luostarinen) or any prospect other than Suzuki or Rees.

This is likely a bit of an overpayment, I admit to Coleman being one of my favorite non-Canes. However, he brings as many goals as could be expected from Galchenyuk or someone like Puljujarvi. He brings as much grit as anyone in the league. His cap hit is terrific.​

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don’t think TB really overpaid, not by enough to freak out about anyways. He’s a really good player, he and Wood gave that team an identity of hard work mixed with speed that make them tough to play against even when they’re at the bottom.

TB’s first likely falls into that range of 25-31, and to me no matter how deep a draft is 25-40ish is pretty much the same player on draft day. It’s no different than a high second. I also suspect they don’t think that highly of Foote, or don’t think he’s good enough to get into the lineup in the next few years with them being so deep. I think if you auctioned off Foote right now he probably wouldn’t get a first back.

If you told me you could get Coleman for two seconds I would probably do it. I think they gave up the value of two high seconds. Mild overpayment that’s part of doing business when you’re maybe one guy away from a cup.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I don’t think TB really overpaid, not by enough to freak out about anyways. He’s a really good player, he and Wood gave that team an identity of hard work mixed with speed that make them tough to play against even when they’re at the bottom.

TB’s first likely falls into that range of 25-31, and to me no matter how deep a draft is 25-40ish is pretty much the same player on draft day. It’s no different than a high second. I also suspect they don’t think that highly of Foote, or don’t think he’s good enough to get into the lineup in the next few years with them being so deep. I think if you auctioned off Foote right now he probably wouldn’t get a first back.

If you told me you could get Coleman for two seconds I would probably do it. I think they gave up the value of two high seconds. Mild overpayment that’s part of doing business when you’re maybe one guy away from a cup.
Well, it is Vancouver's first, which is a bit more valuable than that.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Wondering out loud...but you think given the return Greene got and Edmundson’s regression to 3rd pair, you think they’d consider moving him out for a 2nd?

Not that they need anymore draft capital, but if you’re able to gain another pick for an expiring contract, maybe that makes spending one on a rental more palatable.

Edmundson out for a 2nd/DeMelo in for a 2nd is something I’d love to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->