All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread Pt 10 (45 Days to the Trade Deadline)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Elliotte Friedman said on Sportsnet pre game last night that Carolina offered a deal to LA involving Martinez but LA turned it down because they wanted futures and Carolina not so much. Other teams interested and said Carolina could circle back.
Gardiner for Martinez. :sarcasm:

Reactions: My Special Purpose

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Not to get too far ahead of things at this crazy time of year, but moving Dzingel in a hockey trade, as much as some may not like it, does seem like something this front office would have no problem doing, especially with how Dzingel has been utilized (or under-utilized depending on your POV) by RBA.

If you could pull in a D, rental or otherwise, with a scoring F with term left and replace that F from within (Gauthier), you really are in prime shape to use the futures ammo on deadline day when things get crazy and be able to take advantage of a last minute price drop on an asset at 2:45pm.

(Speculation to abruptly end in 15mins when RBA announces it was a maintenance day only for Dzingel…)

Reactions: WreckingCrew

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Or they can just bring up Goat.

That's very Carolina, to bring up a guy after making a spot for him and not before.

Elliotte Friedman said on Sportsnet pre game last night that Carolina offered a deal to LA involving Martinez but LA turned it down because they wanted futures and Carolina not so much. Other teams interested and said Carolina could circle back.

Wow. This is very interesting. Our guys just refuse to do anything the way it's always been done. Anybody still think they under-value the two firsts? Or any draft pick. Or any prospect. They want to make hockey trades at the deadline. Impressive. However, it does take two to tango, and for teams out of the race this year, it's going to be tough to find a partner.

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Wow. This is very interesting. Our guys just refuse to do anything the way it's always been done. Anybody still think they under-value the two firsts? Or any draft pick. Or any prospect. They want to make hockey trades at the deadline. Impressive. However, it does take two to tango, and for teams out of the race this year, it's going to be tough to find a partner.

They might be willing to part with a 2nd for Martinez, but the not the last rumored ask of a 2nd plus good prospect. I'd hope they wouldn't bite on that.

But yeah, hoarding all the picks I think is a strategy that will continue with CAR.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
thanks for relaying this. to me it's encouraging. Canes have a lot of ammo in both spare roster parts and futures to try to put together a deal like this. difference is, if you send out spare roster parts, you can backfill with over-ripening NHL ready prospects in Gauthier and Bean (and maybe Clark Bishop or whatever, depending on who goes).

it'll take a big deal for someone with term for significant draft assets to go out the door imo.

Reactions: cptjeff

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Just sifted through the many replies to Sara Civ’s ask for trade suggestions from the public. I couldn’t read anymore after this one:

Reactions: Unsustainable

TheBigLetowski

Jul 31, 2016

Getting an extended look at Ristolainen, Montour or Miller I’d say...

I'm really not a fan of any of those 3 d-men. MAYBE Miller cause he'd likely cost the least. Montour and Risto really don't move the needle for me either. I know this team has MOSTLY made decent moves, so I'm expecting a bad one at some point.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think bleedgreen is confusing the de Haan deal with the Faulk deal here:

de Haan was traded on June 24.
Gardiner was signed September 7.
Faulk was traded September 24.
Yup, reversed them. My point was that Faulk was not related to Gardiner to me, which was more of a CDH replacement overall. They didn’t know for sure obviously with all the time spent in between but I think they were looking for a lefty. Faulk was going to happen no matter what after he turned us down.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
montour has more to offer offensively than he's shown at the nhl level thus far and i think he'd be a good fit for our system, but it would have to be cheap. buffalo isn't in a position to ask for the world because everyone knows their defense has to move at some point. i wouldn't do it for a 1st, but if we're talking a 2nd and a prospect of the kuokkanen/gauthier/geekie profile.... maybe. i can't imagine it would take more than that with as maligned as everyone has been in that place. anaheim montour was an absolute stud in my opinion and his offensive development came to a crashing halt in that system and with that lack of opportunity. they tried to get him to play a style that didn't fit his game. he's a rover naturally and has the puck skills and creativity to jump into the play.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Yup, reversed them. My point was that Faulk was not related to Gardiner to me, which was more of a CDH replacement overall. They didn’t know for sure obviously with all the time spent in between but I think they were looking for a lefty. Faulk was going to happen no matter what after he turned us down.

The Faulk rumors went quiet after the de Haan trade. Gardiner wasn't expected to have to wait that long and sign that contract. In the absence of that, they're not trading Faulk to run Fleury and Bean behind Slavin.

They've been linked to DeMelo, Vatanen and Dumba. Hamilton's not dead. If he comes back, that acquisition is not going to play on the 3rd pairing.

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
The Faulk rumors went quiet after the de Haan trade. Gardiner wasn't expected to have to wait that long and sign that contract. In the absence of that, they're not trading Faulk to run Fleury and Bean behind Slavin.

They've been linked to DeMelo, Vatanen and Dumba. Hamilton's not dead. If he comes back, that acquisition is not going to play on the 3rd pairing.

See, this is where I’m having a hard time with trading FOR a Dman. Most of the guys we’ve been “linked” to, with the exception of a few of them, are all $4-5M/yr in current salary or at least that much in what it would cost to extend them.

When Dougie comes back, what player that’s making that kinda coin is going to move down to the 3rd pair (to reiterate what you’re saying)? More importantly, is the Borg gonna pay someone playing on the 3rd that’s much? I think we know the answer to that one.

If the Org does indeed trade for someone that fills that description, I’d have to think Gardiner is all but gone. I’m not sure I see it any other way.

It’s going to be an interesting 1 1/2 weeks, to say the least.

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
Or Dougie.

2268868C-687F-423E-97B9-4DA39DB53CA5.jpeg

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
They could bring in another $4-$5M salary for the rest of the year, though, right? Of course, someone in that salary range would be jettisoned in the summer, but they could do it for the rest of the year, I would think.
A rental would make sense as a stop gap. Might help negotiations with Dougie, too. Or hurt them if the Borg overplays their hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad