All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread Part 5: The Jerk Store Called - It's Time to Restock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The problem with keeping Faulk and Hamilton is that they both bring a similar style game (in that they are goal scorers with holes defensively and not pp qbs ) and we’d be once again paying someone ~$5m to be on our 3rd pairing. (Not to mention still having to play one guy on his off side)

With raises to Aho and TT kicking in, signing a goalie or two and filling out the roster, the team is already going to be spending a lot more than this past season so if we want to improve the forward ranks as well, I think one of our D needs to be moved

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Hamilton isn’t really a PP QB and never has been, even in Calgary. He’s a shooter / goal scorer, but that’s not a pp QB.
He is a shooter. I do agree. His passing isn’t bad. He could do more of it if our PP style asked him too. Currently the points on the PP either shoot or pass to the man 20 feet down the boards.

He moves well with the puck. He could easily be a guy who moves to the open area of a PP to make the cross ice pass or take a shot. Unfortunately our PP doesn’t do that.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
There is a level between top pairing and 3rd pair, right?

Hmmm, i did say it’s how it looked best this season. With all the injuries, our best third pairing of Hamilton and Fleury may be that mythical pairing between first and third.

Third pairing might be Bean and McKeown. Could be bean and Faulk. Scary thinking of that possibility

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
Yeah John was hinting that Ferland would not be back next season on the post game show.
Not too much of a shock. He was always going to test the market and with Foegele breaking out these playoffs they figure they can replace him internally.

Bye Mike. We hardly knew you.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Yeah John was hinting that Ferland would not be back next season on the post game show.
Not too much of a shock. He was always going to test the market and with Foegele breaking out these playoffs they figure they can replace him internally.

Honestly I feel it's a shame that he couldn't get the showcase opportunity he would've needed for the best contract.

Thank you for the year, Micheal.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
He is a shooter. I do agree. His passing isn’t bad. He could do more of it if our PP style asked him too. Currently the points on the PP either shoot or pass to the man 20 feet down the boards.

He moves well with the puck. He could easily be a guy who moves to the open area of a PP to make the cross ice pass or take a shot. Unfortunately our PP doesn’t do that.
Maybe he could be, maybe not. I’m not saying he wouldn’t be a better option than Faulk, but he’s never been a PP QB in Boston, Calgary, or here so I was just referring to your characterization of him being a PP QB. Don’t think we can just assume he can fill a role he hasn’t done before after this many years.

Still, he’s a weapon with his shot that the team needs to take advantage of and I agree that he’s probably better suited to the 2nd pairing than the 1st.

Hopefully Bean can fill that 1st PP QB role in the not too distant future.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Honestly I feel it's a shame that he couldn't get the showcase opportunity he would've needed for the best contract.

Thank you for the year, Micheal.

what do you mean? He played on the first line. Then he got hurt / went into his patented 2nd half of the year slump. He was moved down because of it. Do we want a guy that has scored a combined 4 goals in last 2 seasons after December 31st to be on the top line?

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Maybe he could be, maybe not. I’m not saying he wouldn’t be a better option than Faulk, but he’s never been a PP QB in Boston, Calgary, or here so I was just referring to your characterization of him being a PP QB. Don’t think we can just assume he can fill a role he hasn’t done before after this many years.

Still, he’s a weapon with his shot that the team needs to take advantage of and I agree that he’s probably better suited to the 2nd pairing than the 1st.

Im only going off what I see. It is odd, based on his abilities, that he is typically stuck on PP2. Obviously there is something he is doing / isnt doing with all 3 teams.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
what do you mean? He played on the first line. Then he got hurt / went into his patented 2nd half of the year slump. He was moved down because of it. Do we want a guy that has scored a combined 4 goals in last 2 seasons after December 31st to be on the top line?
I took it to mean it was a shame because of injuries hampering him and having him in and out of the lineup. We didn’t get to see “playoff Ferland “ that Calgary fans rave about.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
So, just looking at how we're currently + likely to be constructed heading in to next season

Svech (lw/rw) - Aho - Turbo
Nino - Staal - xxx
Foegele - xxx - xxx (Williams)
Martinook - Wallmark - McGinn
Saku

Slavin - Pesce
De Haan - Hamilton
TVR (rhs) - Faulk
Fleury, Bean (lhs), Mckeown (rhs)

xxx
Ned

Something has to give on d, we have 8 guys now that are NHL caliber that are either under contract or rfa that will not have waiver exemption next season, plus a 9th in Jake Bean who does but likely deserves a shot.

I list Svech as lw/rw since he can play either depending on what we pick up. Wally was decent enough this year but I'd still be looking to upgrade at C.

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

As BBA assumed, I was referring to the repeated injuries.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Based on his play in Charlotte this makes the most sense. Also, Bean developed more in the defensive end over the course of the season. In October I saw a rookie AHLer, in March he was looking like a 2nd pairing NHLer. Both his willingness to be physical and his calmness when being forechecked were noticeable late in the season.

Last edited:

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Ferland became expendable when Foegele broke out this playoff run. He plays with the same edge that Ferland does, but he is able to help out a lot offensively while on depth lines. Ferland really only contributed offensively when on Aho's line, and seemed like a walking penalty the last have the season.

If the decision is between getting rid of Faulk or Hamilton, trade Faulk. Dougie had his WTF moments this series, but he was more consistent and was legitimately one of the best offensive defenders in the game the second half of the season. Faulk's best days are behind him, and removing him as a temptation from Brindy to be the PP QB next year is a net positive in itself.

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
I took it to mean it was a shame because of injuries hampering him and having him in and out of the lineup. We didn’t get to see “playoff Ferland “ that Calgary fans rave about.

Whatever his injuries were.... he looked mega slow in these playoffs. His series amounted to him taking runs at guys after they moved the puck.

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
Ferland became expendable when Foegele broke out this playoff run. He plays with the same edge that Ferland does, but he is able to help out a lot offensively while on depth lines. Ferland really only contributed offensively when on Aho's line, and seemed like a walking penalty the last have the season.

If the decision is between getting rid of Faulk or Hamilton, trade Faulk. Dougie had his WTF moments this series, but he was more consistent and was legitimately one of the best offensive defenders in the game the second half of the season. Faulk's best days are behind him, and removing him as a temptation from Brindy to be the PP QB next year is a net positive in itself.

Dougie simply looked like he didnt give a shit defensively.

I cant forgive that.

I'll take effort and heart over gutless every day.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I don't think the canes won a single playoff game with ferland in the lineup. I feel bad for the guy- some team will likely still give him a solid contract but will it be more than the 5ish million the canes were reportedly offering around the middle of the season? Maybe, maybe not. He took a gamble and could have cost himself a lot of money.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Ferland simply won't be worth what he's asking for. He's a decent complementary player if healthy and paired as the 3rd guy on a line with two more talented players, but he's likely to be the next Clarkson or Beleskey. I wouldn't re-sign him even if we didn't have Nino or Foegele.

Hamilton will be the next whipping boy once Faulk is gone. He simply wasn't good enough when the intensity ratcheted up. I know that will upset some of his fanboys though. His free pass for bad play won't last much longer.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I don't think the canes won a single playoff game with ferland in the lineup. I feel bad for the guy- some team will likely still give him a solid contract but will it be more than the 5ish million the canes were reportedly offering around the middle of the season? Maybe, maybe not. He took a gamble and could have cost himself a lot of money.
Game 3 vs Washington... Where he left in the first.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Hamilton will be the next whipping boy once Faulk is gone. He simply wasn't good enough when the intensity ratcheted up. I know that will upset some of his fanboys though. His free pass for bad play won't last much longer.

Oh joy, that's exactly what we need. The dismissing of anyone who has a differing opinion as a 'fanboy' to discredit anything they say. That's just swell

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
With raises to Aho and TT kicking in, signing a goalie or two and filling out the roster, the team is already going to be spending a lot more than this past season so if we want to improve the forward ranks as well, I think one of our D needs to be moved

This is the reason I’m amazed at the “I hope Dundon doesn’t think we can just spend to the floor every year” fears. It would take an extreme roster makeover to make that happen next year. Our signed forwards only make $21m next year (as opposed to $28m this year), and that doesn’t include Aho, McGinn, or Williams. And I can bet our goaltending will cost more than the $2.35 combined that Mrazek and Mac made.

Assuming Aho, McGinn, and Williams cost $12m (they’ll cost more), and the goaltenders cost the same (they’ll cost more), just the bump in forwards alone will cause a $5m increase. That’s without filling out the rest of the forwards.

We won’t spend to the cap next year, but unless we go to extremes it’ll be hard to keep salaries as low as the were this year.

jeromeo87

Jul 23, 2010
Saad would be a good addition. I would trade Faulk + something (maybe McGinn?) for Saad.

I also think the Canes could use someone like Filppula.

Nino Williams TT
Svech Staal Williams
Saad Filppula Necas
Foegele Wallmark Martinook

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
So yeah looking at options.

Wing help ufas - Nyquist, Dzingle, Eberle, Nelson, Lee, Connolly, Mojo... MZA if we really swing for the fences.
Lots of options. No ideal ones outside Zuc, again working with the assumption that it won't be a top tier guy so no Breadman.

Centers are another matter entirely - Duchene, Hayes, Colin Wilson, Spezza, Brassard, and that's literally it. Ouch town.

Goalie I think is going to be Mrazek unless his ask is insane.

I'll cap crunch once I get to sit down at a computer instead of using my tablet. But basically we are going to have a ton of space, especially if we move Faulk as I'm somewhat expecting.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
We need at least 2 forwards, and both should be top six guys. We are bottom six heavy.

Nino is still unproven, for more than a spring stretch, and Williams is not a top line guy. He might not even be a 2 line guy after the summer.

And I'd like to see Foegdaddy be a 3L guy. This is the summer that will tell if tis the same old bargain basement bullshit, or we actually open the wallet.

With what we paid for playoff tickets, that wallet needs to open and re-invest in the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad