All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread Part 5: The Jerk Store Called - It's Time to Restock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
On Hamilton -
I'll get crucified for this - But I think I'd almost rather have faulk. I don't trust him defensively, and while Faulk has his flaws, he's not a selfish shooter (Dougie took a lot of selfish shots, that were super low opportunity, also he scored , yes) and doesn't seem to avoid contact. Dougie is OK, and Faulk makes mistakes, but I do think Hamilton has a little selfish or yellow streak in him. I like him, but I think Faulk is less of a risk. Faulk's value is probably higher though, so....

Reactions: Unsustainable

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Part of the beauty of this run is that it doesn’t conflict with our offseason at all. Foegele’s got a year left so he doesn’t get to make a Bickell argument. The entire D core is locked in. We somehow made it to the Conference Finals without Aho going beast mode, so he doesn’t really get to inflate his ask. TT was locked in before his big playoff performance.

The most we’re going to get is Greg McKegg asking for maybe $1.5m, and he may get it from us or elsewhere. Nothing else about the run changed our offseason significantly.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
we have 53 million for next season already. You throw in Aho's 9 mil, Williams' 4.5 mil, and Mrazek's 4.5 mil we are up to 71 million.

Then you throw in another 3 million for Checkers who make the roster, we are looking at 74 million (Ned, Bean, and Necas).

If we move Faulk, for a top 6 forward, I will assume its a one for one transfer in terms of dollars. We'll say cap hit money on this one 4.5 million.

Basically, we have a full roster with decisions to still be made on Fleury, McGinn, Maenalenan, and McE. We would have one forward spot open

For business purposes, we are spending another 1.5 million because Nino and Turbo's salaries are more than their cap hits. We'll basically save that with a Darling buyout so, even money.

so, we're at 74 million with one forward spot open.

*edit* had my buyouts wrong. Had to make some edits to correct wrongness.

Last edited:

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
On the Faulk/Hamilton argument, i'm in the trade Faulk camp. I just can't do another year with him watching him turn the puck over, not being able to keep the blue line, and shooting wide every damn time. I mean when the guy is on net, he scores, but sadly he's only on net like 1 out of 100 times.

Right now my only big resigns are Aho, Mzarek, and Williams. I'm not sure how much is left in the tank for Williams, but I think another 1 year deal would be good to remind this team what it took to get to the playoffs and to help us not miss the very next year.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I think Fenton has ripped out all numbers with a 919 area code from his rolodex

Thats when you spoof a 617 area code

Pfft. You don't even need that. Lest we forget there are two Triangle area codes now..."Oh, 984? I wonder where that's from...DAMMIT DON, I DON'T WANT TO TRADE WITH YOU EVER AGAIN!"

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I'm not really sold on any reason to really keep McGinn anymore, unless it's for <$1M as a 13th guy...he shows flashes of having something more to his game, but then he hits the post on an open net or is left in la la land resulting in a goal against. I think he could be replaced with a Saarela/Gauthier from Charlotte without missing much. He's not a bad guy to have around for an injury fill-in though since he can slot around fairly easily.

JWilly, he's NOT a top line guy anymore, and I think next year would probably be better as a 3RW who can slot up in case of injury (you know - maintaining depth rather than slotting him as a 2RW from the start).

Faulk vs Hamilton - it's a toss up half the time. At this point, I think Hamilton's offensive upside has surpassed Faulks, but his gaffs may also suprass Faulks at time (who's biggest issue might be holding the offensive blueline). Faulk has long been part of the "leadership core", Hamilton probably has better value around the league (except "where there's smoke there's fire"). Biggest difference to me might be, Faulk will want a raise in 1 yr, not sure he's worth it, Dougie you have 2 years to evaluate. 2yrs > 1yr - trade Faulk?

As others have said, we have a plethora of bottom 6 guys and AHL guys who could potentially be used there as well, we need more high-end firepower.

Some good winger UFAs (and RFAs) available, no reason not to come away with one of them. Would be awesome to get Duchene/Hayes, but I think if we want another 2/3C (to rotate with Staal), it'd have to be from a trade.

Svech - Aho - TT
NN - Staal/trade - UFA/RFA (JWilly?)
Foegele - Staal/trade - Necas/Gauthier? (or JWilly to start)
Martinook - McKegg - Melatonin
EX: McGinn

Slavin - Pesce
CDH - Hamilton/Faulk
Fleury/Bean - TVR
EX: Fleury/McKeown (play Fleury, McKeown #7, Bean spot callups)

Mrazek/Lehner
McBackup/Needaspellcheck?

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
On Hamilton -
I'll get crucified for this - But I think I'd almost rather have faulk. I don't trust him defensively, and while Faulk has his flaws, he's not a selfish shooter (Dougie took a lot of selfish shots, that were super low opportunity, also he scored , yes) and doesn't seem to avoid contact. Dougie is OK, and Faulk makes mistakes, but I do think Hamilton has a little selfish or yellow streak in him. I like him, but I think Faulk is less of a risk. Faulk's value is probably higher though, so....

I don't think Hamilton was selfish at all, I think he was being explicitly told to shoot more by RBA. And with that came more success with offense from the blue line.

As far as the "attitude", there's a lot of similarities between Pitkanen and Hamilton here. I think Hamilton has some of the same innate talent that allows him to make some things look more effortless out there.

There's no doubt in my mind that Hamilton was more valuable this season, especially once he was healthy. I'd much rather re-sign Hamilton than Faulk long-term, but the decision needs to be made one year earlier on Faulk.

For business purposes, we are spending another 1.5 million because Nino and Turbo's salaries are more than their cap hits. Also, if we buy our Darling we would save cap money but not real money. So I havent taken his money off the dollar amount. Again thinking like an owner who is spending money not like a GM who is trying to fit us in the cap.

Not sure how this works. We spent $6.5M on goalie this season, $4.15M of which was Darling. Buy out Darling this off-season, and then the goalie position costs:
$1.183M (Darling)
$0.9M (Nedeljkovic)
+ Starter

Sign a starter for $4.4M or less for 19-20 and the goalie position is cheaper than 18-19.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I think Fenton has ripped out all numbers with a 919 area code from his rolodex
Well, if he's any good at his job he'll learn from that mistake rather than dwelling on it.
I mean that's like the dream for us, seriously.
We could probably debate who adds what based on term left on the contracts, the value of a LW vs a RD, etc. but that all seems academic to me. Losing Spurgeon would leave a big hole on our second pairing and I think Faulk would be a good partner for Brodin. Obviously we'd have to feel confident about extending him, but I'm not too worried about that.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Pfft. You don't even need that. Lest we forget there are two Triangle area codes now..."Oh, 984? I wonder where that's from...DAMMIT DON, I DON'T WANT TO TRADE WITH YOU EVER AGAIN!"

There are other ways around this...
phone-rings-hello-dis-iz-peggy.jpg

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Not sure how this works. We spent $6.5M on goalie this season, $4.15M of which was Darling. Buy out Darling this off-season, and then the goalie position costs:
$1.183M (Darling)
$0.9M (Nedeljkovic)
+ Starter

Sign a starter for $4.4M or less for 19-20 and the goalie position is cheaper than 18-19.

nope, I was wrong

Last edited:
Reactions: Unsustainable

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I mean I'd be ok with buying low on Nylander as well.

That sounds great, but I don't see Toronto selling low on Nylander. Lots of other ways to get out of their cap issues.

Picking up someone like Kapanen? I can see that. But I doubt they sell Nylander for anything Carolina wants to pay, or should pay given Nylander hasn't proven he's a C long-term.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
There’s no question Hamilton is better than Faulk in most categories, but mostly offensively. I could see picking Faulk due to loyalty and leadership. The key to Faulk’s success is the same as the other top guys. None of our guys are good enough to be studs by themselves, they all benefit from having other good guys to lean on. Having Dougie around Faulk makes Faulk better. SlavinPesce is better because they have Hamilton and DeHaan to support them. If only they were paired that way....

If we’re going to lose Faulk anyways the decision is made. Dougie isn’t selfish to me, and I don’t mind at all if he’s a quieter guy. He has been praised for fitting in with the younger guys. I think he maybe has found a home with us.

I would just trade TVR and keep Faulk. Our strengths are what they are, and I don’t know that we can turn any of them directly into the forwards we need. Keep what’s good about us together if we can’t get that right forward.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
You're mixing up actual money and cap money. Cap hit Darling would be 1.183M. Actual money, Darling would be much more to buy out.

Cap wise while spending 75.5 million, our cap hit could be 71 million. Darling only counts as 3 million buried dollars right now.

The buyout costs, as real money, 2/3 of the remaining salary spread out over 2x of the remaining years.

For instance, we are still paying Alex Semin $2.33M next year in the last year of his buyout.

A Scott Darling buyout would cost $1.183M per year for the next 4 years. The cap hit would be:
19-20: $1.23M
20-21: $2.33M
21-22: $1.183M
22-23: $1.183M

Scott Darling Contract Buyout Details - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
But basically we are going to have a ton of space,
I don't think "space" matters as much as many hope.

Despite the last four games, trading Lindholm/Hanifin worked out well. Because it worked out most have forgotten that at least part of the reason both were traded was because they were asking for around $5M apiece. Likewise signing deHaan worked out well, but the Canes would have actually had to pay a fine for being under the cap if deHaan hadn't been signed.
Then consider the mid-season (when the team wasn't in the playoff picture) comments about losing money/poor lease with PNC and you realize that money is still an issue.
I hope I am reading the situation incorrectly, but I don't see the organization spending much past the $71M it will take to ice the current team with new contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad