All purpose trade / roster building thread part 4: We like our Jerks

Status
Not open for further replies.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
Seems unlikely if moved that Malkin would be traded here for a number of reasons. I think most of us would agree that Kessel doesn't seem like a match for us and likely our coach, even with the tantalizing skill. And the last thing we need at the moment is another RD, and one that is aging and paid highly. Considering that one of the most speculated pieces from us that the Pens are always said to be interested in is Jordan, and he's having the end of season and playoffs he's having, I can't imagine him being moved short of a request. Not sure I really see any great fits that are realistic.
Honest answer, fair enough. Can't say that i disagree.

Dammit tho, Jordan back with Pittsburgh would be so... *stops torturing himself*

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Is the general consensus still Faulk will/should be traded?
That is a multi-dimensional question.
  • The Canes DO have four right-shot defensemen;
  • However, one of those right-shot defensemen had a career year that improved once he moved to the left side;
  • Given the current success, the organization might consider the situation "all-in" to win a cup with Williams as captain--so adding a forward by trading a d-man would be sensible;
  • Teams with two offensive D-men are faring really well in this post-season. Is that a coincidence or the new requirement? If the latter, then Faulk is perhaps more valuable than a forward who would come back in a trade.
As I said, a complex question.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
You have to think something will happen this offseason. To go into another year with Fleury at 7, Bean at 8, and McKeown at 9 would be borderline irresponsible (and @My Special Purpose would have a conniption).

But the longer we go in this playoff run, the more the “right” move gets clouded a bit. As 42 jerks said above, Pesce had a career year playing on the left, not to mention our embarrassment of riches is also on the left side (Slavin, de Haan, Fleury, Bean). I’ve started wondering if de Haan might be more in this conversation than we have previously discussed.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
You have to think something will happen this offseason. To go into another year with Fleury at 7, Bean at 8, and McKeown at 9 would be borderline irresponsible (and @My Special Purpose would have a conniption).

But the longer we go in this playoff run, the more the “right” move gets clouded a bit. As 42 jerks said above, Pesce had a career year playing on the left, not to mention our embarrassment of riches is also on the left side (Slavin, de Haan, Fleury, Bean). I’ve started wondering if de Haan might be more in this conversation than we have previously discussed.

Personally I think we would be crazy to trade de Haan.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I think I've posted something similar to this before, but I really think the NHL is moving toward more defenseman-oriented league. There will always be superstar forwards but defensemen play more minutes and you only have 6 of them compared to 12 forwards so making sure you get the ones you want is even more important. The norm is becoming that all defensemen are "two-way" defenders, your Hal Gill "stay at home" types have been pretty much phased out. With all the focus on analytics/possession and the way a good d-man can recover possession and transition to offense I think we will see more emphasis on building strong D cores the way Nashville has been doing and now the Canes are doing. Maybe I'm talking out of my ass but that's just kind of how I see it

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
On my way back to the car last night, I couldn't help but reminisce a little bit about how pissed this place got when we didn't pull a major move at the deadline, and how much Waddell was mocked for his "Ferland is our own rental" and "getting Staal back is our big acquisition"

And... damn if Wads wasn't correct on those takes. And this is why I'm not a GM and he is.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I think we will see more emphasis on building strong D cores the way Nashville has been doing and now the Canes are doing. Maybe I'm talking out of my ass but that's just kind of how I see it
My favorite part of these discussions is others (and myself of course) exercising their gluteal/vocal chords.

The question is which of these is strongest (I make the presumption that if either Faulk or de Haan is moved Bean makes the roster):
Slavin/Hamilton; Pesce/Faulk; Bean/TVR
or
Slavin/Pesce; de Haan/Hamilton; Bean/TVR
or
Slavin/Hamilton; de Haan/Pesce; Bean/TVR

The first has the most scoring potential. The second has the best top pairing. The third is because Hamilton seems to play best with Slavin.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
On my way back to the car last night, I couldn't help but reminisce a little bit about how pissed this place got when we didn't pull a major move at the deadline, and how much Waddell was mocked for his "Ferland is our own rental" and "getting Staal back is our big acquisition"

And... damn if Wads wasn't correct on those takes. And this is why I'm not a GM and he is.

I’m constantly afraid of someone going back and finding something I’ve forgotten about that makes me seem like a liar, but I loved standing pat.

Based on where we were we couldn’t justify going all in, but pulling the rug out from under that locker room after the coach and captain preaching “just the playoffs isn’t the goal” all year would have an intangible impact on the rook beyond just losing Ferland IMO. I thought they played it perfectly. Adding Nino a month prior obviously helped.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Is the general consensus still Faulk will/should be traded?

Faulk is the Canes highest paid D this year and next year at $6 million salary (Dougie makes $6 million next year as well). Faulk will be looking for a his prime-years big money deal next offseason. I think that is the most convincing reason he will be the one dealt. De Haan makes only $4 million next year.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
My favorite part of these discussions is others (and myself of course) exercising their gluteal/vocal chords.

The question is which of these is strongest (I make the presumption that if either Faulk or de Haan is moved Bean makes the roster):
or
or

The first has the most scoring potential. The second has the best top pairing. The third is because Hamilton seems to play best with Slavin.
The Slavin/Pesce pairing is like when in Power Rangers create Megazord. Like, we don't need it to do well, but when we go there, you know we mean bidness

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016

Having Slavin, Pesce, and CDH as the backbone of your D gives you a lot of leeway in who your other 3 D are.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
You're not wrong. Taking the oilers approach of building forwards first is not working anymore. Looking at the teams remaining the only one not really built from the back out that's left are the avs.
Its weird... in the Caps series it felt like we took the best shot from the league's best offense and our defense pretty much shut them down 5v5 over 7 games. This series, it feels like we have been systematically undressing the league's best defense with our offensive attack, and the dam broke last night.

Looking at the remaining teams, there isn't anyone we can't beat. And there isn't anyone left that I don't think the Canes will beat.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017

or
or

I like the 3rd option.

I think we could even run:
Slavin-Hamilton
de Haan-TVR
Bean-Pesce

Pesce would be able to provide some stability for Bean to jump into the play and be less worried about making a mistake. TVR has shown he has the ability to play up as a #4 if needed and could make a decent shut down pairing with de Haan.

That gives us a pretty solid and versatile blue line at about $22-23m.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
@AD Skinner

You're not wrong. Taking the oilers approach of building forwards first is not working anymore. Looking at the teams remaining the only one not really built from the back out that's left are the avs.

Yes and no. There’s a difference between building from the back out like Columbus (Jones and Werenski, then meh) or San Jose (Karlsson Burns Vlasic, then meh), and building out like us and Nashville (utter embarrassment of riches).

I think we need to pick our 3 that we really really like. Not saying jettison the rest, but be comfortable moving the rest. To me, my 3 are Slavin, Pesce, Hamilton. I don’t think the Canes would be making a mistake moving any of the others for the right deal for a forward or even just for assets.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Faulk is the Canes highest paid D this year and next year at $6 million salary (Dougie makes $6 million next year as well). Faulk will be looking for a his prime-years big money deal next offseason. I think that is the most convincing reason he will be the one dealt. De Haan makes only $4 million next year.

Faulk makes $4.83m this year and next vs. de Haan at $4.55m.

I still think Faulk should be the one to go as he will need a raise after next season and we're not going to give it to him. Hamilton will be the highest paid at $5.75m.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Yes and no. There’s a difference between building from the back out like Columbus (Jones and Werenski, then meh) or San Jose (Karlsson Burns Vlasic, then meh), and building out like us and Nashville (utter embarrassment of riches).

I think we need to pick our 3 that we really really like. Not saying jettison the rest, but be comfortable moving the rest. To me, my 3 are Slavin, Pesce, Hamilton. I don’t think the Canes would be making a mistake moving any of the others for the right deal for a forward or even just for assets.

San Jose's blueline costs close to $3m more than ours does this year and we will almost certainly be cutting costs down $3m for next year. That's the benefit of having really good contracts for Slavin, Pesce, and de Haan; you can have 4 really good D without gutting the rest of the line-up.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Its weird... in the Caps series it felt like we took the best shot from the league's best offense and our defense pretty much shut them down 5v5 over 7 games. This series, it feels like we have been systematically undressing the league's best defense with our offensive attack, and the dam broke last night.

Looking at the remaining teams, there isn't anyone we can't beat. And there isn't anyone left that I don't think the Canes will beat.
Columbus scares me in that they play a very similar game but after going all in at the deadline they're far deeper up front than they've ever been. And Bob is showing up for this year's playoff. That series would be a total coin flip to me.

Anyone else left we can take.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Faulk makes $4.83m this year and next vs. de Haan at $4.55m.

I still think Faulk should be the one to go as he will need a raise after next season and we're not going to give it to him. Hamilton will be the highest paid at $5.75m.

$4.83 million is Faulk's Cap hit. His actually salary next year is $6 million.

Which is a downside for a budget team like the Canes, however it is a benefit in his trade market. Faulk is playing well when the entire NHL is watching. Tampa, Toronto, and Pittsburgh will all be looking for RHD. In my dream world the Canes can land a player like Kadri, Nylander, Kapanen, Tyler Johnson, Kessel, etc. in a deal for Faulk++.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Columbus scares me in that they play a very similar game but after going all in at the deadline they're far deeper up front than they've ever been. And Bob is showing up for this year's playoff. That series would be a total coin flip to me.

Anyone else left we can take.

Unfortunately, the way these playoffs work, anyone else left can take us too...

jeromeo87

Jul 23, 2010

Agreed. How much is he worth with only one year left on his contract?

Reactions: Tryamw
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad