All purpose trade / roster building thread part 4: We like our Jerks

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I have one objective this off-season for Dundon: open your wallet, sign Ferland. That simple. He can already see how the attendance shoots up like a bullet around these parts with just a waft of winning in the air. It's time to finally invest that cash, because as much as I love these surges (especially today), it's not the surges that are getting people in the stadium, it's the wins. Also, as a bonus, an extended Ferland = even trade

Last edited:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
You misspelled "Aho".

Aho will get paid no matter what. I'm not concerned, even Melnyk could pay his Karlssons at RFA. Locking up a UFA that's been great for us is what separates the big boys (like Vinik, for example) from the pretenders and cheapskates.

Last edited:

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Aho will get paid no matter what. I'm not concerned, even Melnyk could pay his Karlssons at RFA. Locking up a UFA that's been great for us is what separates the big boys (like Vinik, for example) from the pretenders and cheapskates.

At what point do you say no to Ferland? Can’t just give him whatever he wants. That contract could really hurt us down the road.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
At what point do you say no to Ferland? Can’t just give him whatever he wants. That contract could really hurt us down the road.

If he gets a comically awful offer from some sucker, like say $6M AAV for 7 years or something insane like that (my guess would be from the Edmonton OBC), of course they should let him go. With how deep this year's UFA forward group is, though, Ferland is IMO going to be more of a second-tier UFA. I'd sign him for ~$5M AAV until his age 32 season, which would be 5 years from now.

Last edited:

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
We shouldn't give Ferland a huge contract. We should give him a 3 year deal for whatever the going rate is for a 40 point physical winger. If he wants to stay, that'll be enough for him. If not, then he can move on down the road, we use that money plus whatever is earmarked for another contract to make a big run at somebody like Duchene.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
We shouldn't give Ferland a huge contract. We should give him a 3 year deal for whatever the going rate is for a 40 point physical winger. If he wants to stay, that'll be enough for him. If not, then he can move on down the road, we use that money plus whatever is earmarked for another contract to make a big run at somebody like Duchene.

He will only be 27 at the start of UFA, one of the youngest on the market now that Stone is locked up. I would easily give him a 4-5 year contract if the AAV is fair. I'm also not going to rely on a Duchene being available; I really do believe that Columbus traded for him in order to get him signed, and I think that they will.

Last edited:

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
The only reason I mentioned Duchene specifically is because wasn't there a whole thing about him and Brindy having a close relationship. Wasn't that how we supposedly were in the mix when Colorado was trying to trade him last year?

the situations reads the same anyway. It could be Panarin or Hayes, or whoever. Should be lots of options for another forward or two this offseason. I like Ferland and ideally we keep him but I also don't think he's a guy you make a huge commitment to when we've got a bunch of homegrown players making up the core of the team.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
"Only 27"? 27 isn't young for a hockey player, especially one that plays a physical style like Ferland. Ruutu was 28 when we signed him to his last contract and he did basically nothing after that.

He's been hurt how many times this season? Or is it just one nagging injury? The red flags are all there.

I don't want to be stuck paying a 30 year old Ferland 5 mil a year to score 25 points on the third line.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
The only reason I mentioned Duchene specifically is because wasn't there a whole thing about him and Brindy having a close relationship. Wasn't that how we supposedly were in the mix when Colorado was trying to trade him last year?
Never seen anything linking Duchene with Rod myself. Rod is close with RNH, which is one reason his name comes up a lot.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
"Only 27"? 27 isn't young for a hockey player, especially one that plays a physical style like Ferland. Ruutu was 28 when we signed him to his last contract and he did basically nothing after that.

27 is quite young for UFA, in fact generally speaking 26-29 is prime years for professional athletes. I'd be comfortable giving him a 5 year contract, but no longer. BTW, I looked it up, Ruutu was actually 29 when he signed that extension. Two years makes a MAJOR difference since the bottom falls out far quicker, and it's important to note that Ruutu had a far more extensive injury history than Ferland. He almost retired at age 23 because of how bad it got.

Last edited:

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Ferland has been better than I expected. So there is a strong case for re-signing him.

However, in context he could reasonably be viewed as a 3rd-liner going forward. As long as Williams is keeping up it is folly to separate Nino/Aho/Gramps. Next season will be the season to give Svechnikov more opportunity. So the second-line should be Svech/Staal/TT. Bring up Necas and that makes the third line Ferland/Wallmark/Necas. Ferland could be the ideal presence to get those two producing, but is he worth $5.5M? I can see both arguments. Ferland didn't produce much in Calgary away from Gaudreau/Monahan. Can he produce in Carolina away from Aho and/or TT?

My main point is that the team needs to be careful committing to Ferland if that means limiting Svechnikov, because Svechnikov is going to be part of a three-headed monster with Aho and Teravainen very soon.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Ferland was one of the guys dragging Marty off the ice after the Holyfield KO. He likes it here. He wants to get paid but he wants to be here which helps. 6x6 has to be the absolute max though. It’s a year too long and 1 mil too much.

They’re both Manitoba boys so maybe they bonded over that.

Perhaps he’ll stay if our offer is competitive compared to others but I’m sure he’s going to wait until July 1st to see what’s out there.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
It was reported on Twitter (forgot who) that if $5M x 5 were enough, it would be done already.

He wants more.... for longer. Not like my wife.

My absolute max would be the Callahan contract (6 years/$5.8M AAV). I think Ferland on that deal would be a better investment than Callahan was (and he is still a useful player, albeit overpaid, which Tampa can easily trade to a cap floor team with a draft pick attached since his NTC is only a limited one). Ferland will be 27 at the start of the deal while Callahan was 29, so he'll have 3 of his years being smack dab in his prime to pay for the back end.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
They’re both Manitoba boys so maybe they bonded over that.

Perhaps he’ll stay if our offer is competitive compared to others but I’m sure he’s going to wait until July 1st to see what’s out there.

Oh yeah he’s going to market but I do think we have a good chance of re-signing him if the offers are close. Ya if someone offers him a Kane contract then he’s gone but as mentioned he’s a second tier free agent this summer so maybe the competition won’t be as fierce as we think

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
Just thread through the “Who on your team would you not trade for the 2019 1st OA?” thread on the MB.

I know some of you already posted there, but I thought it would be an interesting discussion amongst ourselves.

What say you?

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Ferland doesn't seem like the type to chase an extra million going to a place he may or may not enjoy or fit. Or conversely he does seem like the type of guy who might tell his agent "make this easy for me and get the best deal where I am".

In any case the Canes are going to have a stronger pitch the more success they find. That goes for Ferland and any other UFA they might be targeting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad