All purpose trade/roster building thread part 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I will say, standing pat, unless it's just forced by how the unusual offseason plays out, doesn't really scream this front office. I'd imagine they'll still be on the lookout for guys that fit, guys that don't fit, and any bargains that might be available along the way.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I will say, standing pat, unless it's just forced by how the unusual offseason plays out, doesn't really scream this front office. I'd imagine they'll still be on the lookout for guys that fit, guys that don't fit, and any bargains that might be available along the way.
That is true. We have 5 million in space with Foegele taking up about half of it. I think we may find it difficult to move other players to get value trades from others though.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I will also point out, that people keep taking it as a given we'll spend exactly what we spent this year going forward. But we truly have no idea how Dudon, or any owner, is going to handle the uncertainty of the economics of the coming year. I'd hesitate to try to figure out any kind of budget at this point.

There are still teams out there that will have a fair amount cap space even with the flat cap. They may be in a very very good position to receive off loads from any number of teams out there, whether from budget constraints or cap concerns.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I could see us shuffling guys out in the off season for fresh blood. We don’t really have a quality top six LW. Foegele/Nino/Dzingle haven’t grabbed that role and maybe they shouldn’t be expected to. I could see us looking for one, unless one of them has a good playoff. We’d have to shuffle guys out for that. We love McGinn and Martinook but I could see one gone, or one of the guys mentioned above. Dzingle clearly hasn’t fit, Jake is questionable.

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I lean towards keeping Foegele if possible. I think he's a little more suited for being higher in the lineup when needed. I like Marty and McGinn, but I think either or both could be replaced with cheaper guys.

I don’t think you replace Martinook. Too valuable to the room. Guys like him don’t often come in and get an ‘A’ slapped on their chest after 1 year for no reason.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I don’t think you replace Martinook. Too valuable to the room. Guys like him don’t often come in and get an ‘A’ slapped on their chest after 1 year for no reason.
I'm a fan of Marty, but if you need the money to make the team better, or cutting budget if needed, you can find other leaders and personalities. He makes good coin for a mostly 4th liner, even if we love his leadership.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I bet they have their hands in a bunch of things this offseason, but personally, I think it’ll be a lot tougher to make the moves they may want to make than in the past. Some of the talking heads have said to expect a bunch of player movement due to the flat cap and with teams weaponizing their cap space, but I just don’t see it.

Were I the GM, I’d try to see what type of player I could get in return for Niederreiter. And 3 days after the CBA gets ratified, I’d make sure I had an idea of what it would take to re-sign Hamilton to see if that was feasible. Then, I make a call to Vatanen’s agent to put out a feeler there too.

The upcoming Svechnikov negotiations don’t really worry me that much, the Hamilton talks do. I could have that complete backwards...

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Any interest in a Mrazek and Nino for Bozak and Allen plus a prospect swap?

Its a million cap hit saving for STL. We get a RH FO guy to play with Staal who also plays the PK. Nino doesnt play PK (saving Aho and Turbo for offense). Allen is more consistent than Mrazek, better GSAA this season too.

Dzingel can play 2LW. Those three could play position-less hockey as all three are capable of playing wing and center.

Future wise: it gives us more flexibility for next off-season to afford Dougie and Svech. STL may have a 919 number on auto block after the way Faulk has played.

Last edited:

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011

Its a million cap hit saving for STL. We get a RH FO guy to play with Staal who also plays the PK. Nino doesnt play PK (saving Aho and Turbo for offense). Allen is more consistent than Mrazek, better GSAA this season too.

Dzingel can play 2LW. Those three could play position-less hockey as all three are capable of playing wing and center.

Future wise: it gives us more flexibility for next off-season to afford Dougie and Svech. STL may have a 919 number on auto block after the way Faulk has played.

I will still easily take Mrazek over Allen. But I'm no Allen fan.

So does McGinn. Cut McGinn. Simple solution.

Hence why I included McGinn as a guy that can be replaced in the first place. I've been on the move McGinn since last offseason with what he got paid. But Marty can be moved if needed too. He's got another year on his contract, and who knows if he'll be kept after that. Again, that doesn't mean I choose to move him first or at all, just a realistic possibility. If this team falls apart without Marty's presence, it ain't much of a team.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I will still easily take Mrazek over Allen. But I'm no Allen fan.

Hence why I included McGinn as a guy that can be replaced in the first place. I've been on the move McGinn since last offseason with what he got paid. But Marty can be moved if needed too. He's got another year on his contract, and who knows if he'll be kept after that. Again, that doesn't mean I choose to move him first or at all, just a realistic possibility. If this team falls apart without Marty's presence, it ain't much of a team.

If they are moving guys to stay under the cap it starts and ends with Dzingle. He’s Jeff Skinner without the talent.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

Allen may be more consistent than Mrazek, but his valleys are worse than anything we've seen from Mrazek in Carolina. Allen's low points are almost Darlingesque.

Last edited:

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
If they are moving guys to stay under the cap it starts and ends with Dzingle. He’s Jeff Skinner without the talent.
Well damn, sounds like teams will be falling all over themselves to get him! Seriously though, of course he's an option as well. As I've said, we have no idea if we'll still be spending to the cap or if we'll be on a tighter budget. They may want to move on from guys like they tend to do, or they may get an option fall in their laps that requires more than just Dzingel to be moved. I'm just saying. overpaid fourth liners (and sure, we can lump Dzingel into that at this point) are a great place to try to make cap space or budget space if needed. And just because I list those guys doesn't mean they are the only or best options.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
So does McGinn. Cut McGinn. Simple solution.
I think Marty was so banged up this year he was barely visible on the ice. That of course never takes away from what he does in the room but fourth line guys typically are good room guys. If Marty can get healthy and back to what he was last year then great, but if there’s any doubt of that I don’t know how you go on. He has to be able to play the way he can.

McGinn is always disappointing offensively but he’s in people’s faces doing his role most nights.

Honestly they could both go and be replaced by cheaper guys. If we’re starting to butt up against the cap while still needing pieces that’s where you cut the fat first, fourth line.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
McGinn is more valuable i see Marty (because Geekie) Dzingel and Nino going before him. If we are into saving money btw Reimer should be gone. And we should talk about Jordo.

Last edited:
Reactions: bleedgreen

2Minutes4Surging

Jul 5, 2017
Durham, NC
With Hoffman and Dadanov leaving Florida this off-season, I could see Florida having interest in Dzingel. Nino will be harder to move at his cap hit. It would be nice to see him grab that 2LW spot which he is capable of doing, although I would rather have a more skilled player at that spot. Foegele could still grab it but, like Nino, he may not be skilled enough either. I feel like our left side is very redundant with Nino, Foegele, McGinn all playing a similar role. I would love if we could unload Nino and McGinn and bring up Lorentz for 4LW duties, appropriately slot Foegele at 3LW and trade some D for a skilled 2LW. Martinook did not provide a lot this season, it would be nice to see him bounce back as a Craig/Kevyn Adams type glue guy. But if he cannot stay healthy or make more of a difference (on the ice) then we should look in a different direction. There are some really good cheap UFA penalty killer types available this off-season so it may be time to shuffle the 4th line again.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
McGinn is more valuable i see Marty (because Geekie) Dzingel and Nino going before him. If we are into saving money btw Reimer should be gone. And we should talk about Jordo.
I think McGinn has a little more value on the PK and maybe physically, though we don't get as many impact hits anymore. I think Marty has better leadership qualities and has the versatility to be competent at center when needed. I still think either can be replaced with a cheaper model if needed, but they're fine luxuries to have on a fourth line as well. It all just depends on how much money we need and for what.

As for the goalies, I'm all for upgrading if the right opportunity comes along. But I'm also fine if we need to run with those guys again next year. Reimer had some good stretches this year and isn't vastly overpaid for what he brings. Mrazek fits in pretty well and isn't super expensive either. Just a matter of what we can replace either or both of them with.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
McGinn and Martinook have average contracts for their role/production. Of course there are players on ELC, but the Canes have shown a real preference for veterans. Moving on from Niederreiter or Dzingel is more likely to free up cap space.

Of course, trading one of the D would free up serious $ as well.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I'm personally am of the belief that the best-performing of the Skjei/Gardiner/Dzingel crop this post-season is also the most likely to get moved. A good performance from any of them would increase their value in a trade to the point that they won't be that hard to move (See CDH and Faulk). It could well be, though, that the best move is to simply stand pat, considering that COVID and the flat cap essentially makes any trade difficult to pull off. Remember, we only have Foegele and Fleury as RFAs to sign, and both should be relatively painless negotiations, particularly the latter.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I don’t think it’s been discussed for a while, but with teams likely soon to be able to discuss new deals with 2021 UFAs-to-be as a result of an approved CBA, what do you think a Hamilton extension looks like in the pandemic environment?

Does he still possibly get Carslon $$$ ($8M) from Dundon? Or do they try to lowball him?

I can’t see it going unresolved into the start of next season. I see him being re-signed prior to the 20-21 season or shipped out...

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
I don’t think it’s been discussed for a while, but with teams likely soon to be able to discuss new deals with 2021 UFAs-to-be as a result of an approved CBA, what do you think a Hamilton extension looks like in the pandemic environment?

Does he still possibly get Carslon $$$ ($8M) from Dundon? Or do they try to lowball him?

I can’t see it going unresolved into the start of next season. I see him being re-signed prior to the 20-21 season or shipped out...
I think we will see him get an extension around the 8 million mark.

What we might see the pandemic change is Svech and Necas getting three year bridge deals instead of 8 year deals in order to wait for the cap to reset / maximize the team window for the next 4 years (aka the Aho, Turbo, and Pesce window)

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I think we will see him get an extension around the 8 million mark.

What we might see the pandemic change is Svech and Necas getting three year bridge deals instead of 8 year deals in order to wait for the cap to reset / maximize the team window for the next 4 years (aka the Aho, Turbo, and Pesce window)

Makes a lot of sense for both sides: Svech and Necas don't tie up those years under a tight cap, and the Canes get to push the paydays back.

It would definitely hurt if it's 3 for Svech with Aho and TT and Pesce and Skjei up in the summer of 2024. Maybe try to bridge Svech for 2 years, then lock him up before all the UFAs come open?

Edit: I like that 2 year idea a lot. There's a good amount of money that comes off the books in 2022 and 2023 (Nino and Trocheck in 2022, Jordan and Gardiner in 2023) so there should be money available for Svech even with a flat cap.

3 years for Necas would push him to 2025, so that would work better.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
$8M would be an absolute steal long-term for Hamilton. If his extension is truly that low in terms of AAV, you take that running away. I still see Svech locked up long-term to a deal similar to Kyle Connor's 7 year pact, except a little bit more expensive in terms of AAV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad