All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread - off-season chaos edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
He was never the same after he broke his foot and played like half the season on it in 2011 (I think).

Probably my two favorite Gleason memories. First is when he kept the puck in the zone from his knees to get it to Pitkanen who got it to Jussi to score the tying goal at the shock at the rock. IIRC, John actually said it was "held in by Seidenberg" in the live broadcast at the time and Tripp even said Seidenberg on the replays. Second is the game where every Bruin wanted to fight him and kept trying to goad him into it in 2011(?) The Bruins completely melted down taking penalty after penalty that game and the Bruins fans were livid calling Gleason a turtle, and other not so nice names. I think that's also the game where Tukka Rask wanted to fight Ward.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Probably my two favorite Gleason memories. First is when he kept the puck in the zone from his knees to get it to Pitkanen who got it to Jussi to score the tying goal at the shock at the rock. IIRC, John actually said it was "held in by Seidenberg" in the live broadcast at the time and Tripp even said Seidenberg on the replays. Second is the game where every Bruin wanted to fight him and kept trying to goad him into it in 2011(?) The Bruins completely melted down taking penalty after penalty that game and the Bruins fans were livid calling Gleason a turtle, and other not so nice names. I think that's also the game where Tukka Rask wanted to fight Ward.
I remember that, they were grabbing his jersey and trying to rag doll him and he just stood there completely deadpan each time...they were SOOOOO angry, i was dying laughing each time! There'd be a Bruin in his face and he was just looking around like they were invisible

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
My favorite Gleason memory is him taking an Ovechkin shot to the face, going off for repairs, coming back, and scoring a shortie to tie the game. Complete with vintage Tripp, "He prevents Cam Ward from making a save".

Ohh, I forgot about that one. Fantastic. Him scoring his first goal of the year against Jersey in OT to tie the series at 1 was pretty good as well.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
It’s completely fine if he’s Ovie 2.0, but he cannot be a much-more-skilled Tom Wilson. Similar to how Brady Tkachuk can’t be the guy to be sticking up for guys in Ottawa - he’s too valuable to get taken off the ice for appreciable amounts of time. I wish the brass surrounded Aho-TT-Svech with at least one or two guys who’ll do the same.

Ok, but how many teams have one of those guys? Sure, it'd be outstanding to have a Tom Wilson, but we also don't do ourselves any favors pretending that (say) a Micheal Ferland is a Tom Wilson. You love that guy, but you don't need that guy.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Ok, but how many teams have one of those guys? Sure, it'd be outstanding to have a Tom Wilson, but we also don't do ourselves any favors pretending that (say) a Micheal Ferland is a Tom Wilson. You love that guy, but you don't need that guy.
I don't think you even need a premier one like Wilson, but it's definitely useful to have one when the playoffs come around. It's helpful if it's a guy like a prime Lucic, Wilson, or Scott Walker that can actually contribute offensively as well, but even guys like Goodrow, Clifford, and hell even Ben Eager have played roles on cup winners. There's not a ton of teams that have won without someone like that, I can only think of us in 06 and maybe the 16-17 Pens since the lockout.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Frank Seravelli on TSN ‘That’s Hockey’ just mentioned that VGK are looking to move Max Pac in order to gain cap flexibility.

LW who can score. Damn he would look good on either Line 1 or Line 2.

Contract is 3 years at $7. Would need to move out Nino, Gardiner, Dzingel or whoever else to make it happen.

Patches also has a 10 team NTC so there’s that obstacle as well.

Probably a pipe dream but that’s all we’ve got right now.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Frank Seravelli on TSN ‘That’s Hockey’ just mentioned that VGK are looking to move Max Pac in order to gain cap flexibility.

Contract is 3 years at $7. Would need to move out Nino, Gardiner, Dzingel or whoever else to make it happen.

We could probably move Dzingel in a deal for Patches but we would have to find a taker for Nino.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
So either way we would be paying considerable assets, to get Pacioretty and "only" lose Dzingel and Niederreiter which will cost a premium in the ultra conservative covid cap environment.
Yep. Value deals that didn’t age well bites us again.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

I don’t know about Patches. There’s a reason they’re ok from moving on from him, that contract was iffy the day it was signed. Even if it’s “only” three more years that amount makes a difference and I think he’s a question mark. I’d let someone else take a chance on him.

Ps. His stats were better than I thought they were. I could see it better now, but this is a price range that hurts us moving forward if we don’t move multiple guys out at the same time doesn’t it? Would moving Dzingle be enough?

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I don’t know about Patches. There’s a reason they’re ok from moving on from him, that contract was iffy the day it was signed. Even if it’s “only” three more years that amount makes a difference and I think he’s a question mark. I’d let someone else take a chance on him.

Ps. His stats were better than I thought they were. I could see it better now, but this is a price range that hurts us moving forward if we don’t move multiple guys out at the same time doesn’t it? Would moving Dzingle be enough?

No, moving Dzingel alone isn't enough.

CapFriendly estimates just under $1M in cap space. Take out Shore and Ryan (13F and 7D) from their estimate and it's more like $2.4M in cap space on the minimum roster.

Dzingel is 3.375M in cap space, Patches is 7M. So you still need to clear another million or so just to get under the cap with the minimum roster of players.

Reactions: DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017

Moving Dzingel would mean we are still 3.6 million over with additional roster players, 2.1 without.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I don't think Pacioretty would get more than Schmidt did if no salary was going back - a 3rd round pick.

I'd do Dzingel or Gardiner plus a 2nd for Patches but I'm not sure Vegas would even be interested as their goal is to clear salary. If that move is made the Canes would have to pay someone assets to take the remained of Niederreiter, Dzingel, or Gardiner as they are all negative contracts. Heavily negative in Nino's case.

Marchessault is the more interesting piece IMO.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Is there any indication he's available? It's not like we can order off the menu. It's not like we can order much of anything, for that matter. Ultimately, given the cap, deals with Vegas are going to fall to other teams. Which is okay, we have a pretty good lineup as is.
I saw rumors last night that it could be any of Marchessault, Martinez, Pacioretty, or even yet again, Fleury, that could be moved by them to clear space. Who knows how true that is.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I'm probably being repetitive, but I'm old, so forgive me.

We should get used to the team that we have. I think the organization likes Nino, and Dzingel is immovable until the season starts and he puts up some stats.

Nobody is taking Gardiner's contract, so he'll be an everyday player....which I'm cautiously optimistic on. He looked better in the 2nd half.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Any idea on how lines may go this year fellas?

Thanks
It depends because of the lineup flexibility we have.

Assumed:
Svech-Aho-Turbo
Nino-Trocheck-Necas
Foegele-Staal-Fast
McGinn-Geekie-Marty/Dzingel

balanced 2 lines of scoring
Nino-Aho-Turbo
Svech-Tro-Neas

balanced 3 lines of scoring
Foegele/Fast-Aho-Turbo
Svech-Tro-Necas
McGinn-Staal-Foegele/Fast
Dzingel-Geekie-Nino

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I'm probably being repetitive, but I'm old, so forgive me.

We should get used to the team that we have. I think the organization likes Nino, and Dzingel is immovable until the season starts and he puts up some stats.

Nobody is taking Gardiner's contract, so he'll be an everyday player....which I'm cautiously optimistic on. He looked better in the 2nd half.

You are being repetitive, and boring to boot! This is the TRADE thread! Speculating wildly is the entire point of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad