All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread - off-season chaos edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Not sure how I feel about this one but on the main board there is a ‘make your offer for Monahan’ thread.

I threw out the idea of Trochek + Bean + B prospect expecting it to get shit on but a couple of Flames fans were pretty into it with the amendment that instead of a B prospect they would want a 1st and then would send a pick back our way.

Monahan is a 26 y/o low end 1C who is basically a guarantee for 30+30 and can hit ppg in the right situation. As our 2C we wouldn’t need him to produce that much but damn that would be a nice 1-2 punch with Aho.

Signed for 3 x $6.3 and would give us a core of this moving forward...

Nino - Aho - TT
Svech - Monahan - Necas
Foegele - Staal - Fast
McGinn - Geekie - Martinook

Slavin - Hamilton
Skjei - Pesce
Gardiner - Fleury

If we could move Dzingel to get some extra cap flexibility it could work

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I like the idea of Monhan, and Trocheck + Bean + juicy future seems about right I guess. However, I think I’d rather give Trocheck a chance, with a full training camp and full acclimation to RBA’s systems before dealing him. He still was on a 50pt pace last year. If he can be that 20g, 30a guy for the Canes again, he’s the perfect stopgap for Necas or maybe a Suzuki/Rees/Drury(?) taking over at 2C in 2 years.

Personally, I like the idea of using Bean (if they aren’t going to give him a shot) in a package for a young scoring LW.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
People have mentioned AA a couple of times, and with Kahun going for less than a million you have to wonder what/where AA will end up. He’s done more but obviously the space for him in the league is getting thinner.

He reminds me of Grabner without the defensive mind. He could be a great pk’er just based off of the short handed threat, if he’s willing to make the adjustments. You’d think this off season would have him willing to do that.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
People have mentioned AA a couple of times, and with Kahun going for less than a million you have to wonder what/where AA will end up. He’s done more but obviously the space for him in the league is getting thinner.

He reminds me of Grabner without the defensive mind. He could be a great pk’er just based off of the short handed threat, if he’s willing to make the adjustments. You’d think this off season would have him willing to do that.
Sign him 1 year $800k-1M and if he sucks, waiver fodder or bury him in the AHL?

Reactions: bleedgreen

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I make under 100K right now. Someone could offer me $5 million dollars to go live in Russia, I’d turn them down.
Buddy of mine went over to play in the KHL after a bunch of years bouncing between the AHL and NHL .... he’ll make more than 10x money over there this year compared to the A, if he didn’t get called up to the NHL (and he was in an organization that had a lot of young D depth). Like has been alluded to many times, these guys get a comparably small number to years to make money doing what they’re best at.
He said it’s not bad at all so far ... different, but cool.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
If what I'm suggesting below is way off base from a possible reality, please call me out on it... But here's what I'm thinking:

Sign Granlund for $4m for 1 year rebound contract.
Sign Vatanen for $3m for 1 year rebound contract.
Trade Gardiner and Dzingel for whatever you can get or even give up some mid round draft assets to shed the contracts if necessary.
Trade Reimer + Bean + ____ for Kuemper.

If my math is correct, and I'm sure it isn't, we could fit all of this under the cap.

Granlund - Aho - TT
Svech - Trocheck - Necas
Nino - Staal - Fast
Foegele - Geekie - McGinn/Martinook
McGinn/Martinook

Slavin - Hamilton
Skjei - Pesce
Fleury - Vatanen

Kuemper
Mrazek

If you ask me, that is a top 3-5 contending team next year.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
If what I'm suggesting below is way off base from a possible reality, please call me out on it... But here's what I'm thinking:

Trade Gardiner and Dzingel for whatever you can get or even give up some mid round draft assets to shed the contracts if necessary.

If my math is correct, and I'm sure it isn't, we could fit all of this under the cap.

Granlund - Aho - TT
Svech - Trocheck - Necas
Nino - Staal - Fast
McGinn/Martinook

Slavin - Hamilton
Skjei - Pesce
Fleury - Vatanen

Kuemper
Mrazek

While i agree with your premise, I think most teams will be holding their cap space as pricey trade assets. I dont see the management team doing something that has a negative value for them.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011

Granlund - Aho - TT
Svech - Trocheck - Necas
Nino - Staal - Fast
McGinn/Martinook

Slavin - Hamilton
Skjei - Pesce
Fleury - Vatanen

Kuemper
Mrazek

Not a snowball's chance that all of that would happen.

2Minutes4Surging

Jul 5, 2017
Durham, NC

Granlund - Aho - TT
Svech - Trocheck - Necas
Nino - Staal - Fast
McGinn/Martinook

Slavin - Hamilton
Skjei - Pesce
Fleury - Vatanen

Kuemper
Mrazek

I like all of these ideas. After the Trocheck trade but before the last trade deadline and pandemic hit, I thought it would be cool to see us go all-in this season, for one year, before Dougie and Svech's next contracts kick in. The premise was to acquire a top-6 winger as a rental or on a bloated 1 yr deal and a goaltender in UFA this offseason. That was when we were looking at having a good bit of extra cap space without Fast and particularly Skjei's contracts. The present trade market has made it to where opening up roster spots for another goalie and top-6 forward may not be the smartest thing to do value wise. Not to mention our cap crunch is already severe. Anyways, I think Granlund on a show-me contract next to the Finns and trading for Kuemper would accomplish the same general idea. Swapping Vatanen for Gardiner is just icing on the cake. Moving pieces out would be the hardest task.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
That'd be a pretty sad sack going all in. Granlund wasn't great in Nashville and Vatanen was injury-plagued and noticeable for like a game in the playoffs for us. I don't see either as being a safe bet to be significantly better than the guys we're shipping out in this scenario even though I'm fine with adding either of them and not vehemently opposed to moving on from those guys. And trading for a goalie that has played over 30 games once to be the savior continues to be a risky proposition to me.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

Granlund - Aho - TT
Svech - Trocheck - Necas
Nino - Staal - Fast
McGinn/Martinook

Slavin - Hamilton
Skjei - Pesce
Fleury - Vatanen

Kuemper
Mrazek

Every plan has a flaw. This is your weak point. I just don't see who would want those contracts at anything close to where we would be willing to pay to move them. Zinger's isn't bad, but it is pretty expensive given what we've seen comparable UFAs sign for this year on one year deals, so it has negative value. And he is not a bad player, just a bad fit here. Theeeeennnnnn there's Gardiner....

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Every plan has a flaw. This is your weak point. I just don't see who would want those contracts at anything close to where we would be willing to pay to move them. Zinger's isn't bad, but it is pretty expensive given what we've seen comparable UFAs sign for this year on one year deals, so it has negative value. And he is not a bad player, just a bad fit here. Theeeeennnnnn there's Gardiner....
Yeah, in a normal year with an increased cap, teams look at making those trades, like we did with Marleau. In a flat cap world? We're stuck with Gardiner and Dzingle. Love the plan otherwise, but not gonna happen.

Reactions: DaveG and MinJaBen

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Saw a trade proposal on the main trade board that had us trading Gardner and Dzingel to Nashville for Tomasino and a 2nd round pick.

It was so lopsided that it made me laugh. Nashville doesn't need Gardner on defense and Dzingel would be too expensive for what he brings unless he had a bounce-back season. And that's a lot to give up hoping for either of those guys to return to form.

That said, and I believe Ronnie said as much, we should probably get used to "we like our group". There's a lot to support standing pat. Sure it would be nice to get another scoring forward, but it is just as likely that one of Nino or Ryan will bounce back. My money's on Niederreiter. Frankly, he was just snake bit and that seemingly impacted his confidence. He slots in well in our Top 6.

The odd man out seems to be Ryan Dzingel. He doesn't fit on what is likely to be a shut-down 3rd line. Now if we roll a 4th line with some scoring pop, then maybe he works there. But that feels like an non-Rod move.

So this is a long-winded way of saying we should probably expect to roll with the group that we got and hope that the incremental improvements from our young guys, a full year of Dougie (should he be re-signed), and the above mentioned return to the mean feels like where this is heading....and I'm okay with that.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I'm sure they're listening to any offers on Nino and Dzingle and Gardiner too, I just doubt there's many coming in to listen to. Nino and Gardiner are overpaid if they don't bounce back and Dzingle has been healthy scratched in two consecutive playoff years by two different teams. You're not getting anything more than a lateral move for any of them, may as well see if they can figure it out rather than roll the dice on someone else's headache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad