All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread - off-season chaos edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Minutes4Surging

Jul 5, 2017
Durham, NC
It is going to be tough for mid-level UFA's with all of the RFA's not receiving QO's. These mid-range UFA guys are gonna be squeezed into accepting low AAV or short term contracts. The RFA's like Duclair, Athanasiou, Kahun, Hinostroza, Wallmark are going to be eating into the UFA market share, while still possessing youth, up-side and growth potential. Would you rather sign a mid-range 30 year old+ UFA or a 25 year old (former) RFA? For example, a guy like Haula's market is going to affected by someone like Wallmark. Haula is a gamble due to age and injury history but he was one of the only decent Centers available in UFA. Wallmark may not possess as high of an upside but he is younger, less injury prone, and still has room to grow his game. Hate to see it for these older guys...

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Thoughts on picking up either Turris or AA on a show me contract?
Turris, maybe.

AA. Heck no. He would be worse than Dzingel for us.

Buyout window closes in 25 minutes. Wennberg bought out. I think of all options out there I'd sign him as a playmaking LW if the price was right.
yes, please.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Wallmark not qualified by Florida, will be a UFA. Highly unlikely he comes back with the depth chart of Aho-Tro-Staal at C right now, but if for some strange reason he doesn't have a big market and would come back here for a low price I'd be absolutely thrilled with that.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Who of Aho-Tro-Staal-Geekie-Wallmark would play wing?
Probably Geeks?

Pass on Wennberg, dude has 40 goals in like 400 games...FLOLegele has a much better pace than that. Maybe Turris on a cheap 1 year. Easy pass on AA...sounds like a less-defensive version of Skins

Reactions: DaveG

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Unless we are making a trade to move salary out, I'd rather just sit tight at the UFA deadline. Save the cash for call ups over a COVID year and for a good deadline acquisition. This team made too many moves last year, made some bad choices on those moves, and it hurt chemistry. I'd bank on Zinger and Nino bouncing back before one of these castoffs coming in and making a big difference.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Unless we are making a trade to move salary out, I'd rather just sit tight at the UFA deadline. Save the cash for call ups over a COVID year and for a good deadline acquisition. This team made too many moves last year, made some bad choices on those moves, and it hurt chemistry. I'd bank on Zinger and Nino bouncing back before one of these castoffs coming in and making a big difference.

That said, I'd probably do Grandland on a showme one year deal.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I just hope we are patient but ready to pounce when the right opportunities come. The interesting thing about this year is those opportunities could come quickly. If there is not much activity outside of the top guys the first day or two, then be ready to pounce. If there is a fair amount, there is still no way that it will all be done, so wait some guys out.

The other interesting thing is a lot of sources out there have said that the trading game will pick up after free agency more than it usually does. That still might be where we make our biggest impact if we make moves.

Reactions: Discipline Daddy

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
It's a pretty underwhelming mix of complimentary players, I think. The primary need to me is a wing with some jam to compliment Trocheck and Necas (or even push Svechnikov off the Aho line for balance) or a wing that Brind'Amour can trust to play hard minutes next to Staal, with Foegele or Niederreiter playing the Top 6 LW role. Granlund makes sense. Smith fits. Perhaps Fast does as well.

A trade for Saad would be ideal, but his cap hit is so high that he's probably out of reach, even if they were to get out of Dzingel's contract clean. As MinJaBen pointed out, accumulating space for a deadline trade may be the pathway there.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
With all the buyouts and guys not being qualified it’s going to be a pretty big market of complimentary players available out there. You’d think we’d be actively rummaging through the pile.

I think they will be, but won't jump on day 1 unless someone thinks the situation is great for them and will play at a discount.

More likely they jump on day 3 or 4 of UFA like past years.

It's possible goalie goes differently. If they identify someone they want they could jump on a goalie early and start shopping Reimer (or Mrazek) more aggressively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad