All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread II - The Search for More Depth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
still interested in josh manson. i think he's highly comparable to savard but he skates more. i think the team is in line with that and with a suitor falling off the board we might be getting closer to making that move. weird implications for the expansion draft but francis wouldn't be taking a josh manson from us, sadly. if we do go that route, i wonder if that's going to impact dougie.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
All this smoke around defense, I'm sure Waddell is going to come out and acquire like Timo Meier or someone totally out of left field.

Acquiring Risto would be fun. Maybe the Canes are like "**** it, put him with the best defensive D in the NHL and let's see what happens."

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
All this smoke around defense, I'm sure Waddell is going to come out and acquire like Timo Meier or someone totally out of left field.

Acquiring Risto would be fun. Maybe the Canes are like "**** it, put him with the best defensive D in the NHL and let's see what happens."
"Fun"

Yes, watching F26 melt down in despair can be considered fun.

Helsinki Hurricanes

Sep 6, 2018
My very biased (due to being Finnish) 0,02$ on Risto. He's mean and very physical. He's not a guy who should play over 25 minutes per game year around but there are maybe 10 guys in the league who can and should. If he's Hamilton insurance I see Pesce moved to first pair with Slavin. In a more limited role he could easily be way better than what he has showed in Buf. Could also see potential in him playing 2nd PP.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I'm a big fan of Risto. The dude is mean, has an angry streak, and actually has some offensive game. Yeah he does some dumb shit but pair him with one of our more defensive D and I think he'll shine.

Great game for the playoffs as well. Go out there and crunch some bones. On top of that he's never been sheltered in his life. Giving him some easier matchups and I think he'll shine.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
What I want to see for the Canes is an old school power forward type. I don't think many of those are available right now though so....

Anyone aware of some Jerome Iginlas, Corey Perrys, or Michael Ferlands available that aren't past their expiration?

Highway29

Don dun well?
Mar 20, 2013
I really think we should do nothing about D. I think Bean, Gardiner, Fleury are good, stabile enough for 5-7.

But as Fleury has been solid but unspectacular, I don't mid him being upgraded to Manson or someone who would compliment Bean and Gardiner better.

Reactions: Ole Gil

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
The new market inefficiency, after everyone is now overbidding for the traditional analytical darlings, may now be buy-low guys like Ristolainen and Walker who clearly have talent but have had down seasons with bad teams and could use a change of scenery. Because of the term left and the relatively low cap hit that actually befits a solid 3rd-pairing RHD, I personally would lean Sean Walker here. Make a deal around a base of Fleury and Geekie and go from there, at least IMO.

Last edited:

Cormag001

Feb 9, 2019
As a bit of a newer hockey fan, I really enjoy reading this thread each day to get insight into what kind of roster structure Carolina may be looking towards in the future & how said structure could be achieved.

One thing that is a bit bizzare to me is the notion of Carolina going after defense at the deadline. Seems to me that Slavin, Hamilton, and Pesce are high end top-pairing guys with Skjei and Gardiner not far behind and Fluery and Bean more than capable of being on the third pairing of a championship caliber team.

I see the biggest need for the Canes being a volume shooter who can thrive around our playmakers. The fourth line, McGinn, Fast, Foegle, Martinook, and even Nino seem to me more like grinders who mostly do the right things in terms of possession and pressure, but don't necessarily come across as a huge threat when given a scoring opportunity. While it's unrealistic to expect all 12 forwards to have elite goalscoring ability, I envision adding another volume shooter around these hardworking forwards that we have already could propel this team higher than any acquisition on the defensive end.

Is this just "too obvious" and what every team is trying to accomplish (aka expensive), or is there a specific reason people feel the Canes are better at forward than defense?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
As a bit of a newer hockey fan, I really enjoy reading this thread each day to get insight into what kind of roster structure Carolina may be looking towards in the future & how said structure could be achieved.

One thing that is a bit bizzare to me is the notion of Carolina going after defense at the deadline. Seems to me that Slavin, Hamilton, and Pesce are high end top-pairing guys with Skjei and Gardiner not far behind and Fluery and Bean more than capable of being on the third pairing of a championship caliber team.

I see the biggest need for the Canes being a volume shooter who can thrive around our playmakers. The fourth line, McGinn, Fast, Foegle, and even Nino seem to me more like grinders who mostly do the right things in terms of possession and pressure, but don't necessarily come across as a huge threat when given a scoring opportunity. While it's unrealistic to expect all 12 forwards to have elite goalscoring ability, I envision adding another volume shooter around the playmaking grinders that we have already could propel this team higher than any acquisition on the defensive end.

Is this just "too obvious" and what every team is trying to accomplish (aka expensive), or is there a specific reason people feel the Canes are better at forward than defense?

I think we are targeting another RS defender because we want another shutdown guy to play. Fleury hasnt filled that slot as we wanted. Also need a righty insurance in case of an injury to Hamilton or Pesce.

3 reasons for having a real shut down defense with good skating: 1. It easier to build a team with a strong defense than it is to find a top flight goalie. 2. our forwards can spring the D zone earlier to create odd man rushes, creating more offense. 3. the better the defense the lower the amount of goals you can expect to allow (typically).

I still hope we add a top 6 forward to add to scoring in 5 v5 play but adding a strong RH defender will help add to the team as well.

Reactions: cptjeff

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
buy-low guys like Ristolainen
Is Risto a guy who is so repeatedly dogged (in the media, by fans, whatever) and overpaid that a deal for Fleury straight-up would work? In that case, I think you could use Risto as a 3rd pairing guy with Bean while gauging his ability to move into either Pesce or Hamilton's spot next year. That definitely makes what's lost in the expansion draft less predictable. I dunno...just thinking out loud.

In any case, we should not be including Geekie with a 3rd-pairing defenseman in order to acquire another 3rd-pairing defenseman, handedness be damned.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
So I am expecting about 3 of 4 different contenders to put in a claim for him. I am sure that means no one will.

Is the trade market so scant no one would trade for him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese